Family Reunion

The Heiress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]FAMILY REUNION[/CONTENTID1]
[CONTENTID2]A/N: you'll now find out why N is in the poster. Your guesses were cute though :P enjoy!~

 

 

Penelope's POV

 

One Year & Seven Months After Breakup 

A year had passed since I'd gotten into a relationship with Sehun. A year had passed since I'd realised perhaps not every story ended badly. A year had passed since I'd allowed myself to completely lose myself, yet again, in the crazy concept that was love. A year had passed since I'd first felt true happiness after my breakup with Kai. A lot of things could happen in a year. In a year, your sister's private hospital could climb to the top of the medical field ladder, in a year your nephew could learn to walk and babble simple words, in a year your best male friend could graduate high school as vice-valedictorian, in a year that same friend could get into The Juilliard School and get a girlfriend there too, in a year you could fall even more madly in love with the guy you already fell for in high school. A lot could happen in a year. 

I looked out of the window of the taxi and watched the trees flash by as we drove down the street. Despite the fact that the heating was on in the car, I was still cold. Sehun put his arm around me and hugged me close, rubbing my skin to warm me up. I nuzzled into his side and breathed in his sweet scent. We finally reached our destination and got out of the car, Sehun paying the driver as I took our luggage out of the trunk. He then walked over to me and relieved me of the heavy duty. The taxi sped off and I turned around, staring up at the mansion that had been my home for 18 years. Now, Harvard was my home and it would be for the next 29 months. We walked to the door and opened it, entering without knocking. My heels clicked on the polished floor until I came to a stop, Sehun standing at my side. I heard footsteps to my right and looked, finding Henrietta wiping her heads with a kitchen cloth. She gasped and dropped it, rushing over to me and embracing me in a crushing hug. I hugged her back just as hard. 

"My little angel, my sweet baby!" She cried, kissing me a hundred times over until every inch of my face had been covered. I giggled and kissed her back, cuddling her again. I breathed in her warmth and took pleasure in the love she exuded. I'd missed her like crazy and being in her arms again brought tears to my eyes. She pulled back and wiped them away, pressing another kiss to my forehead. "You have no idea how much I've missed you." 

"I've missed you too, Rita," I smiled, my cheeks cold against her warm hands. She then looked to my side and released me, opening her arms for Sehun to walk into. He grinned and hugged her tightly, his tall frame dwarfing her already petite self. 

"How are you, chico?" She asked, his cheeks with her thumbs. 

"I'm good, Rita. Really good. How are you?" 

"Even better now that the two of you are here," she replied cheerfully. 

"Where's Artie?" I questioned. She scoffed and took my hand, leading me to the kitchen. Sehun followed behind and we took seats around the island, Henrietta already working on food to make for us. 

"He's with Hakyeon," she replied and I furrowed my brows in confusion. "Yep, you heard me. Get comfortable because this is a long and crazy story." 

"Oh boy," I laughed and she nodded, tutting as she washed her hands. 

 

***


Then (Three Months Ago)

Cha Hakyeon stood before the door, his fist hovering over it as nerves permitted him from knocking. After years, long, gruelling years of searching for answers, he'd finally found them and now he was unable to do the one thing that would bring him to a confrontation. Hakyeon had never been a terribly sad child, he'd grown up with his single mother who'd only showered him with love and treated him like a prince despite the fact they hadn't had much money. In fact, they'd lived in the poorest part of Seoul for as long as he could remember, that was of course until he'd gotten a scholarship to university and had graduated top of the class within two years instead of four. Still, even as a child he'd wondered why his mother was always so sad, why she never bothered trying to find a man. He'd wondered what kind of monster could've abandoned her and their five year old son. So, he worked hard in high school and got the best grades, graduating at 16. He worked harder in university and graduated with the best degree. He formed an enterprise with his best friends and colleagues he'd met during an internship at a law firm in his first year of university and they quickly built their business, specialising in carrying out tasks others were unwilling to do. The six men each had connections they'd made through classified means and brought them together, using them to make the company now recognised as VIXX Enterprise. Over the years, they'd acquired information that brought him closer to finding out who his father was. 

One day, in the winter of 2014, he'd learned from a source that the man that matched some of his DNA resided in Dallas, Texas. It had been convenient that months later, Hakyeon's friend Daehyun and Zelo (who had previously helped him on one of VIXX's projects) had requested help that would require him and his partners to travel to Dallas. It had been even more convenient that their target had been PetroPark Industries which just so happened to be owned by Park Daewon, the same man who the source had told Hakyeon was employing his father. His father, Arthur Grant Taylor. Despite this knowledge, Hakyeon was insecure, he was afraid to confront his father in case the man sent him away, abandoning him all over again. To most people, he was Cha Hakyeon, the CEO of one of the fastest rising businesses in the world (labelled a trading company by clueless governments) who was mysterious, intelligent and strategic. Inside, however, he was all that and more. He was a man with serious daddy issues, a fear of abandonment and a reluctance to let people in. 

So here he stood, finally having mustered up enough courage to finally seek out his father. Here he was, standing at the door of house no. 24 Preston Hollows with his hand hovering over it. Here he was, wanting to knock but paralysed with fear. He closed his eyes and swore, quickly turning away from the house and walking down the steps. He couldn't do it. But perhaps knowing that his father was alive was enough for him. Perhaps he didn't need to actually see him, to touch him, to tell him how much he hated him for abandoning him and his mother when they needed-

"Who's a cutie patootie? Who's mama's big- oh, hello," a voice said behind him and he froze, his hand stopping as he was about to open the door of his car. He gulped and turned around. A beautiful woman with long, dark hair, pretty eyes and rosy lips stood at the door with a baby in her arms. The child cooed and babbled words, his short brown hair curled and his skin tanned. He looked to be mixed with White-African and Asian genes. He was ridiculously adorable, Hakyeon noted. "Can I help you with something?"

"No, I was just...I thought I had business here but I don't," he replied, feeling flustered all of a sudden. The woman looked familiar but he couldn't pinpoint where or when he'd seen her before. "Sorry for intruding." He turned to leave but she stepped forward. He stopped.

"You don't look like someone who makes silly mistakes," she said with a smile. She moved the child onto her left hip and extended her right arm. "I'm Victoria Dawson." Then it hit him. The woman was Park Daewon's oldest daughter, Penelope's sister. The two sisters looked alike, Hakyeon thought. Both beautiful, both possessing attitudes that made you feel comfortable at once. He shook her hand and introduced himself.

"Cha Hakyeon," he told her. She looked down at the child and took one of his closed hands, waving the tiny fist at Hakyeon. "Nice to meet you, Victoria. You too, little guy. What's your name?"

"This is my son, Elijah," she answered for the baby. Hakyeon took his little hand and shook it lightly, smiling broadly when the child squealed and giggled. He loved kids, if he wasn't always so busy dominating the business world, he'd settle down and have a few of his own. Sometimes, Hakyeon felt as though he was far older than his actual twenty three years. "So, Mr Cha, what brings you here?"

He studied her. He couldn't decipher what it was about her that made her seem trustworthy but he couldn't help but divulge the information. "I'm here to see Arthur Taylor. Does he work here?" 

"Yeah, he does. Why don't you come on in, I'll get someone to pour you a cup of coffee while I go track him down for you," Victoria offered and he nodded. She kissed her baby's cheek and turned around, walking back into the house. Hakyeon followed her in, looking around as she lead him to the kitchen. He'd been in that house only once before, when Penelope had invited him and his partners to her graduation party. Hakyeon liked the young girl, she was fun and full of life, she was also an incredible businesswoman. She reminded him much of himself when he was that age. "Rita, can you brew some coffee for Mr Cha?" A woman of around her late forties to her early fifties turned around at the sink and smiled, nodding.

"Nice to meet you, Mr Cha. I'd shake your hand but as you can see, mine are wet," the woman said, nodding at her dripping fingers.

"No worries, ma'am, Please, call me Hakyeon or simply N," he told both ladies. He assumed she was an employee. That was until she finished drying her hands and walked up to Victoria, picking up the baby in her hands and planting kisses all over his face. He then assumed she might have been the grandmother but Victoria had called her Rita and from his knowledge of Park Daewon's family, his wife - or rather, ex-wife - was called Lindsay. 

"Hakyeon is here to see Artie. Do you kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter