The Light

Clairvoyance

Cha Hakyeon felt as though he was floating, the world around him gray and fluid, somewhere between a fog and the depths of an ocean. Faintly, he felt a pain inside of him, but he couldn’t quite grasp the reason behind it. Turning in the strange nothingness, he tried to work out what was happening. What were his last memories? There was no idea within him.

 

A small glowing orb floated in front of him, giving off a strange light, somehow embodying all colors and yet none at all. Instinctively, he reached for it, touching it gently with his finger tips. A warmth flooded through him as the light encompassed him, fading away to reveal a scene.

 

Snow covered the world and he was but a child, scooping the walkway at his parents’ shrine. And then she was there, the Bulyeowoo. Following her, the scene shifted ever so slightly and suddenly he was watching his parents die. Crashing through the window, the world went black and once it came back into focus, he was in a hospital bed, Byungjun by his side.

 

“Byungjun...” Reaching out for him, the other man shook his head.

 

“I fell in love with you before you even woke up, Hakyeon.” Smiling softly, the other man kissed his forehead. “I love you even now. Take care of Daehwan for me, okay?”

”I’m sorry...” Tears welling in his eyes, Hakyeon reached out again but his ex lover stopped him.

 

“I don’t regret dying for you. I’d do it a million times over.” Finally, Byungjun pulled him into a hug, holding onto him tightly. “So don’t blame yourself for it. Because I know how you are.” Sitting back, a dark red stain began to blossom from his chest. “I am so proud of you, Hakyeon. You should be proud of yourself too. Now you had best be going.”

 

“Byungjun, wait...” But the world was already starting to blur around him, to twist and change. He was in the caves that made up the monster’s home. Glancing around him, he saw that same indescribable light hovering in a doorway. Following after it, he found himself face to face with another fallen comrade.

 

“Hakyeon?” Hongbin seemed surprised to see him, looking him over in confusion. “You’re heart is still beating...”

 

“Oh god... Hongbin...” Letting out a small sob, he pulled the other man, much to their indignation, into a hug.

 

“Oh come on, Hakyeon. I’m already dead and honestly this is a little embarrassing.” Raising an eyebrow, Hongbin patted his back gently.

 

“I’m so sorry... I’m sorry... And Wonshik... Wonshik never meant to...” Between sobs, he tried to explain that Hongbin’s death had been an accident.

 

“Look. I know.” Chuckling lightly, Hongbin ruffled Hakyeon’s hair. “Let’s be honest. If I were in his position I would have killed him in an instant. No regret, not even an accident.”

”Hongbin...” Shocked, Hakyeon moved away slightly.

 

“Hey. This wasn’t about any of us, really.” Shrugging, Hakyeon smiled a little. “This was about not letting darkness rule the world. A lot of innocent people get to live because of this. If I had to die to make that happen... Well... I just don’t regret it, okay?”

 

“I’m still sorry...” Looking down, Hakyeon sighed, wiping at his tears. “I... I should have saved you all.”

 

“No offense, Hakyeon... But I’m surprised you even saved yourself.” Shaking his head, Hongbin bit his lip. “All that matters to me is that Sanghyuk gets to keep living. You better get him through losing me or I swear I will come back just to haunt your every moment.”

 

“I...” Unable to get out the words he needed to, Hakyeon returned to staring at the floor.

 

“I know, Hakyeon. Now shoo. You have people waiting on you.” Patting his cheek, Hongbin smiled as blood blossomed on his shirt over his heart. Instead of the world fading around him, this time it was Hongbin that slowly dissipated from sight. Again, the warm ball of light had rejoined him and Hakyeon took a deep breath, steadying his nerve, before he followed it into the next room.

 

“Hey. It’s Cha Hakyeon.” Jaeseop grinned at him from the center of the room, the light gone again. “You stabbed me, you know?”

 

“I know...” Guilt made his heart ache and he looked away, ashamed for what he had done.

 

“Hey hey hey. No need for the dramatics.” Jaeseop was by his side quickly, his hand on Hakyeon’s shoulder. “You know, I am a little sad I never got to date Kiseop, but, you know. Such is life.”

 

“You’re not mad at me?” Surprised, he looked up at Jaeseop whom simply smiled back at him.

 

“Nah, man. I was present enough to know I threw myself on your knife.” Rolling his eyes, he crossed his arms over his chest. “You know what the dumbest part is? I died protecting Kiseop and I bet that idiot still wont understand how much I loved him.”

 

“Maybe if he doesn’t it, it’ll be better for him.” Hakyeon smiled a little back at Jaeseop, wishing he had realized in life how pleasant the other man was to be around. “You know, maybe it’d be easier to cope with losing you.”

 

“Fair enough.” Giving Hakyeon a thumbs up, Jaeseop laughed. “You looked like a real bad- killing that demon though. Like, damn boy. Didn’t know you had it in you.” Blushing slightly, Hakyeon found himself, much to his own shock, letting out a small chuckle himself.

 

“You think so?” Cocking his head slightly to the side, he looked his friend over. “From what I remember, I was half dead and a total sniveling wreck.”

 

“Oh yeah, no. You looked atrocious. Truly disgusting, really.” Throwing an arm around Hakyeon’s shoulders, Jaeseop leaned into him playfully. “But dude. You straight exploded that bulyeowoo like she was an over ripe tomato full of dynamite.”

 

“That’s gross, Jaeseop.” Scrunching his noise, Hakyeon shook his head.

 

“Looked cool, though.” Messing up Hakyeon’s hair, he laughed. “Look, tell Kiseop he needs to get over Soomi and find someone to love who will love him. And, do me a favor and tell that girl she was my best friend and though I still blame her for lighting me on fire, I don’t blame her for this.”

 

“Yeah. I can do that.” Hakyeon nodded as Jaeseop moved away from him. “And for what it’s worth, Kiseop would have been lucky to date you.”

 

“Right? Missed opportunities are the worst, sometimes.” Grinning again, Jaeseop looked down as they both watched the crimson bloom on his chest. “Looks like I’ve taken enough of your time. Gotta go. I’ll see you later, Hakyeon. But you better not make it any time soon.”

 

“Bye, Jaeseop.” A weird sense of sadness washed over him as the other man faded from the room. Only able to grieve for a moment, he caught sight of the orb of light and turned to follow it, wondering where it would take him next. Entering the chamber where he had made his final stand, he took note of the clean interior, any sign of the destruction he had caused hidden from sight. The ball of light hovered in front of him for a moment, slowly growing in size, changing form, until the light itself faded away and a man was left standing before him.

 

“Oh god... Not you...” Hakyeon stood still, tears beginning to pour down his cheeks, heart tight in his chest. “Anyone but you...”

 

“Hey, baby.” Taekwoon smiled softly, reaching out to touch Hakyeon’s cheek.

 

“No. Taekwoon, no...” A sob escaped him and he could feel his pain growing inside of him.

 

“I’m afraid so.” Rubbing Hakyeon’s cheek, Taekwoon gave him a look of pity.

 

“I told you not to go...” Unable to control himself, he cried heavily, finding himself pulled into Taekwoon’s protective arms.

 

“I know. And I didn’t listen. And if I had, I don’t think you would have had it in you to destroy her.” Rocking him gently, Taekwoon kissed the top of his head. “It was the only way. It hurts, I know. But it was the right choice for the greater good, even if it wasn’t the right choice for us.”

 

“No... Taekwoon, please...” Despite his begging, he knew better, Hakyeon knew there was no way to change the truth. “You can not leave me alone... I need you... I... I only just got to... I love you...”

 

“I love you too, Hakyeon. And I am so, so sorry it took so long for me to accept that.” Tears in his own eyes, Taekwoon leaned down to kiss him. “But you have to promise me... Hakyeon, promise me you’ll live on without me. Promise that you’ll find your happiness again.”

 

“I... I can’t...” Taekwoon’s words stung him. Even the idea that he could move on from losing Taekwoon was too much.

 

“Hakyeon, please.” Another kiss didn’t make it easier on him, but Hakyeon knew that, even if it broke him, for Taekwoon to rest peacefully, he’d have to try. One last testament to his love for the other man.

 

“That’s my baby.” Flashing him a heartbreaking smile, Taekwoon pressed their lips together yet again. “Never forget that I love you.”

 

“Never forget that I love you too...” Hakyeon let out another loud sob from around his cries of anguish. “But... You can’t leave me... I need you...”

 

“You, Cha Hakeyon, have always been stronger than all of us.” Pressing their foreheads together, Taekwoon closed his eyes. “I don’t want to go. Trust me, I would rather stay by your side forever. But we both know I have to. You will not be alone, Hakyeon. You have your friends and I will never truly be gone.”

 

“Taekwoon...” Reaching out, he attempted to cling to the man he loved, preferring death to leaving him behind. Gently, Taekwoon dislodged Hakyeon’s grasp on his shirt and gave him one last kiss.

 

“Now be a good boy and wake up for me, okay?” One final, sad smile, and that red stain began to creep over his stomach. The room began to glow dimly, growing in intensity until there was only light around his and Taekwoon was gone. Then there was nothing but darkness and silence.