Succumb

Clairvoyance

 

 

Jung Taekwoon roused to the sound of chains clanking and sliding across each other other, a soft dripping sound causing a strange under-toe. A scream echoed through the air and his eyes shot open, taking in the damp stone chamber in the flickering glow of what seemed like a thousand candles. Moving to take action, he found himself restrained, roughly formed iron shackles holding him against the wall. Frantically, he looked around himself, hoping for anything at all to make sense. One by one, he identified his missing companions. With each form, realization began to dawn on him. This was the place they had been searching for, the Monster’s lair... But alas, they were there on entirely unfavorable terms.

 

Mind working overtime to find a safe solution for everyone trapped within this living nightmare, Taekwoon fought against the chain. His most basic instincts scream at him, telling him again and again that he had left his lover alone without so much as a goodbye. Having set out to save Hakyeon, it occurred to him that perhaps his actions had actually doomed the man instead. There was no doubt that their leader would come looking for them when he didn’t return, walking right into the evil woman’s trap. Failure to protect someone who had kept him sane for so long ate away at him.

 

Another scream sounded around him and he took stock yet again in the people around him, all slowly coming out of their own states of unconsciousness. Two figures remained glaringly absent, a duo had he been sure would be among them. Kiseop and Jaeseop were among them but their usual partners in crime seemed to have vanished. A light flashed through a small opening in the rock wall across from him as another shriek filled the air.

 

“Stop it!” The strained voice that followed belonged to the missing huntress, words broken with sobs. “Please. Please stop hurting him...”

 

“You know what it will take for that, little psychic.” A voice cackled in reply, sentence punctuated with other flash of light. Tugging harder at his bonds, Taekwoon felt his shoulder dislocate, letting out a grunt of pain.

 

“SOOHYUN! STOP IT! I’LL DO IT!” Voice hoarse, Soomi gave in, much to Taekwoon’s horror. “I-I’ll do it... Please... Just leave him alone...” If someone as strong as their friend was would give in to this fiend, what hope did the rest of them have? Suddenly Taekwoon understood far too clearly just how dangerous their situation truly was. Slowly they would fall, one by one. His only hope was that the beautiful man he had left behind could overcome, could rise above and come out of this mess victorious. Even if he would probably not be by his side to see it.

 

 

Kim Wonshik tried to block the front door of Hyde, giving their enraged leader a pleading look as Jaehwan fidgeted nervously to the side. Every fiber of himself knew that the moment they stepped out the door, that would be it. Their fates would be sealed and hell would descend upon the trio. Yes, he wanted to save the others. He wanted to do so badly, but one fact echoed in his mind... Hakyeon was the strongest of all of them. If his powers fell into the wrong hands, that would be it for all of them, beyond that, it could be the end for the world as they all knew it.

 

“Please, Hakyeon. Think about this for a second.” He begged, struggling against the ten man trying to shove him out of the way. “If you get caught, what will become of us.”

 

“She has Taekwoon...” His leader whispered and Wonshik realized the other man had began to cry silently. “She has him... And if he were Jaehwan... Would you want me to stop you then?”

 

“I...” Sighing heavily, Wonshik stepped out of the path. “Fine. But I’m going with you.”

 

“Me too.” Stepping beside him. Jaehwan made his heart sink. He had hoped the other man would choose to stay safe.

 

“Jae...” His protest was cute short by a soft kiss.

 

“You didn’t think I would let you go into this without me, did you?” Despite his fear, Jaehwan smiled, sending a pain through Wonshik’s chest. “Either we live together or we die together, but I will remain by your side. I love you, you know.”

 

“I love you too...” Feeling some sick form of relief at having the other man so bravely stand beside him and face the dangers ahead, Wonshik pulled him into a tight embrace. “We will make it through this. I will keep you safe.”

 

“We need to hurry...” Hakyeon pushed past them, his face dark with worry. “She’s taking hold...” With those words, a sinister foreshadowing of what was to come, the trio set forth into the night.

 

 

Lee Hongbin watched as the bulyeowoo ran her clawed hand gently over Byungjung’s cheek. Spitting at her in defiance, the man pulled at the chains holding him place. Already Daehwan had fallen to the creature’s power, staring blankly at the floor, slumped to the ground as he awaited orders. Soomi stood behind the woman, tears streaking her red cheeks, her brother badly burned, seeping blood from deep gashes in his shoulder and abdomen beside her.

 

“ YOU!” Byungjun hissed, trying to lunge at the woman before him. “I will not serve you! I WILL NOT HURT HAKYEON!”

 

“Silly boy.” The monster chuckled, his cheek again, making Hongbin feel nauseous simply from witnessing the twisted display of affection. “I do not wish you to kill him. I am in great need of his powers. I merely wish for you to bring him to me, for you to take away his protection and leave him vulnerable to my persuasion...”

 

“NO!” With a scream of defiance, Byungjun slammed his whole force into the chains holding him, making no difference at all.

 

“Pitiful human...” The woman shook her head, seeming almost sad as her hand began to glow. “Have you learned nothing yet? This was never your choice to make...” Sliding her hand from his cheek, she passed it down his neck and to his heart where a light flashed. Giving a last shriek of agony, Byungjun fell silent, his eyes as dead as his boyfriend’s beside him. A black pattern of spirals shaped faintly like flowers and elegant swirls branched off of a dark hand print over his exposed flesh. Terror rose up inside of Hongbin, causing his knees to grow weak. Around him, his companions fought to free themselves as the monster came closer and closer.

 

No longer was the woman giving them the choice to serve her willingly. Nakhun fell under her spell next, sending Yoonchul into a passionate tirade of curses the combinations of which Hongbin had never heard before. But soon, he too was struck into a zombie-like silence. With only Kiseop and Jaeseop between himself and monster, he felt something inside of himself fracture off, that part of himself that had kept him strong.

 

“Hyuk...” Whispering, he turned to the man he loved, tears falling down his cheeks. “You’re my whole world. I’m sorry if I haven’t been showing it enough. You have to know... No matter what else happens... Know the happiest moments in my life were with you...” He heard Jaeseop scream as Kiseop fell victim to the mind control. Flinching, he kept his focus on Hyuk. “I love you...”

 

 

Lee Jaehwan looked around him as the trees of the dark forest began to thin ever so slightly, letting in small patches of moonlight. Hakyeon led the way through the greenery, looking like a warrior prince, silent and determined and beautiful. Beside him, Wonshik gripped his hand tightly, lending him the only shred of comfort he could hope for in a situation that felt so final.

 

“We’re almost there...” Keeping his voice hushed, their leader scanned their surroundings for any sign that they were indeed headed in the right direction. Having never been a fan of the wilderness, especially at night, Jaehwan was on edge even before they broke into the clearing, finding two dark figures silhouette against the stone cave entrance.

 

“Who’s there?” Wonshik called out, putting himself between Jaehwan and any potential danger the forms may pose to them.

 

“It’s just Dae and I.” Byungjun’s voice greeted them, sending a wave of relief to wash over him. “We were just coming to find all of you. Our phones aren’t working.”

 

“The others are already at the bulyeowoo’s lair.” Daehwan piped up as the two stepped out of the shadows. Something about their demeanor nagged at Jaehwan but he couldn't quite place it. “We’re getting ready for battle. We should hurry. We don’t want anyone to get the drop on us. This situation is already pretty delicate.”

 

“Take me to them.” Hakyeon demanded as they closed the space between them. Jaehwan wanted to scream, to beg Hakyeon not to trust them, but they were his friends and he knew fear was making him act irrationally. Taking a deep breath, he stilled his nerve and began to follow.

 

 

Han Sanghyuk watched as the mutt reached his boyfriend. Watching as her hand touched the one he held dearest made his stomach churn. Skin crawling in anger and disgust and even fear, he moved against his restraints to no avail. Hongbin’s eyes glossed over, sending a scream of rage to rip through him as he attempted to conjure his powers. Laughing, the monster turned to him.

 

“None of that now. I have made those shackles specifically to mute any of your psychic inclinations.” She grinned, a smile full of sharp, dangerous looking teeth. “Be a good boy, will you?”

 

“Shut up...” Growling, Hyuk glanced at Hongbin. “Baby please... Come on. You can fight this. You’re strong. You can beat this. Please.” Begging, he waiting for any sign that the Hongbin he loved was still present. Nothing met him but an eerie silence and a stillness that chilled him.

 

“It is too late, do you not see?” The monster approached him, touching his cheek almost lovingly. Flinching away, he closed his eyes, knowing what was coming next and having no desire to see it for himself.

 

“Hakyeon wont let you get away with this...” Snorting in anger, he gripped his hands into fists. “Especially if you hurt Taekwoon. He’s going to kill you.” A sick, jovial laugh accompanied a searing pain in his chest and everything went silent, everything went numb, as he slipped under the spell of the monster.

 

 

Cha Hakyeon felt a sinking feeling in his chest as he followed his friends through the darkness. Fully aware that something was very wrong with the duo, he knew he had no choice either way but to play the monster’s game until they were face to face. Worried that his friends may be beyond him to protect, he glanced at the two who had accompanied him into the wooded trap. A part of him wanted to tell them to go, to run while they still could and never look back, but he was sure they would never listen.

 

“Hakyeon...” Jaehwan whispered, clearly suspecting what he already knew. They two men in font of them were possessed, puppets for the creature they hunted, the creature that had stolen their families.

 

“I know...” Nodding ever so slightly, he watched Wonshik tense, catching on to their predicament. “Don’t worry.”

 

“We’re here.” Byungjun announced, stopping in front of a rather intricate silver door, disproportionate against the mountain it had been built into.

 

“Hakyeon, there’s something you could do to save us all the trouble, you know...” Daehwan’s voice was hallow, sending shivers up his spine.

 

“And what’s that?” Questioning, Hakyeon took a step toward the spellbound duo, wanting nothing more than to put himself between them and the innocent people who had come to protect him.

 

“You could give in to her.” Byungjun and his boyfriend chimed in together, their voices perfectly in sync with one another.

 

“And if I don’t?” Biting his lip, he started them down, refusing to back down or show weakness, knowing the monster was watching him through their eyes.

 

“We’ll make you.” Byungjun whispered, his words as deadly as his tone. Nodding solemnly, Hakyeon prepared for battled.