The Greater Good

Clairvoyance

Cha Hakyeon collapsed in the hallway before a large, golden door. Intricate fox-like designs adorned the gilded surface, both beautiful and terrifying. It took a moment longer than he was comfortable with to get himself together enough to heave the heavy object open. Blood loss was playing with his mind, making the world shift around him. Shadows seemed to be deeper and yet the flares of light were like staring directly at the sun. Head pounding, he took a step forward.

 

“Ah, Hakyeon. You have arrived.” A joyful, albeit venomous, voice greeted him. “Oh my. My pets have done quite the number on you. Have you finally decided to join me?”

 

“No...” Eyes scanning the room, he tried to locate his lover. “No I’m not. I’m here to save Taekwoon. Even more than that... I’m here to save the world.”

 

“Silly boy. You are really becoming such a bore.” Pouting slightly, the woman took a step toward a man standing blankly behind her, running her wicked claws along his jaw. “Do you not think so, Taekwoon?”

 

“Yes, Mistress...” Taekwoon’s voice was hallow, not even a ghost of the man Hakyeon had fallen so hard and so fast for. Watching in horror, the bulyeowoo chuckled darkly and brushed her lips over Hakyeon’s boyfriend’s cheek.

 

“That is such a good boy.” Playing with his dark hair, the monster beamed at Hakyeon. “Do you not think so, Cha Hakyeon?”

 

“Get away from him...” It was a warning but in his weakened state it barely sounded like a suggestion.

 

“It would be a shame if I had to kill such a handsome man simply because you refuse to cooperate with me...” Gripping Taekwoon’s hair, she tilted his head back, dragging a claw along his neck, leaving a thin, shallow line in its wake. “Will you not change your mind?”

 

“Taekwoon...” Unable to look away, Hakyeon slowly pulled the sword from the sheath on his back. “No. This is beyond he and I. This is about what will happen if you have my or Soomi’s power to wield at your own discretion.”

 

“Oh and what beautiful things they will be, my child.” Smiling, she leaned forward to lap up a small line of blood that had trickled down Taekwoon’s neck. “You could be a king, Hakyeon... Would not that be nice?”

 

“No. No it wouldn’t.” Shaking his head, he took a step forward, preparing to launch his attack. “Because a world where you rule is no world I even want a part of.”

 

“I could bring back your friends, you know...” Her face portrayed pity but all Hakyeon saw was the ice in her eyes.

 

“No you can’t. Nobody can. What’s gone is gone.” Tears threatened to slip down his cheeks but he fought them back, just as he fought to remain standing or even to remain conscious.

 

“Is that truly your final answer?”

 

“It is.”

 

“Very well then.” Turning, she released Taekwoon from her control. The fog seemed to clear from him as he truly took in the sight before him.

 

“Hakyeon?” Horror crossed his face as he clearly came to the same conclusion Hakyeon himself had. His injuries were too bad, his chance at survival was minimal at best.

 

“Taekwoon. I’m sorry...” Feeling the monster’s intent, he took a step forward, hoping he could at least intercept the next blow.

 

“Remember, Cha Hakyeon. All of this was by your choice.” The bulyeowoo moved faster than he could force his ran down body and Hakyeon was forced to watch as her claws penetrated Taekwoon’s stomach, blood bubbled out through his lover’s mouth.

 

“Taek...” Shock lingered for only a moment and as he watched the monster deposit Taekwoon, coughing and sputtering, fighting to live, onto the cold, marble floor, he could feel his own sanity finally snap, all restraint slipping away.

 

With a scream he dropped to his knees, all light in the room extinguishing as a tornado of pure energy ripped through the room. There was a shrill shriek in the darkness, somewhere between a woman and a wounded animal, and then silence. Whole body on fire, his soul broken, Hakyeon collapsed to the floor as the lights sprang back to illuminate the hall. A deep red substance dripped off of the previously pristine interior and in the brief moment before darkness overtook him, in the seconds it took to drag himself to Taekwoon’s side, Hakyeon realized that the visceral scene was all that remained of the demon that had plagues his whole life. He had won. Cha Hakyeon had saved the world.