Chapter two: I will not let you go...

Strumming our Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The man quickly dashed out of the shop as soon as she entered.  Shin Hye was not thoroughly bothered. Her attention was fully focused on Eric who was sobbing lightly at the corner of the shop.

“Eric…. My baby… What’s wrong?” Shin Hye immediately handed her bag to her nanny and kneeled down to attend Eric.

Eric pointed at where the missing guitar was. Shin Hye finally understood why Eric was upset. “I see…” She said smiling at Eric. “It’s alright. We can have other guitars. Mr. Smith sells so many here.” Shin Hye pointed out the other guitars being displayed.

“But Eomma likes that one.” He pointed out.

“Ara… But it belongs to someone else now.” She said softly to him as she patted his head. “You know what we should do?” She had an idea. “Let’s pray so that the guitar will have a very good owner, okay?” She looked at her son trying to get him to agree. Eric slowly nodded. “That’s my genius boy.” Shin Hye hugged him tightly. Shin Hye then, clasped her hands together in praying gesture and Eric followed her. They both closed their eyes and Shin Hye, “Dear Lord, please make the owner of our dream guitar to be good and kind hearted. Make him sing good songs to other people so that they can be happy always.Amen.”

Eric followed as well, “Amen.”

“Are you happy now?” She asked her handsome son as she fixed his hair and wiped his face.

Eric nodded shyly and hugged his mother again.

“What a picture perfect moment!” Mr. Smith said feeling happy seeing Shin Hye and her son hugging one another.

“Thank You, Mr. Smith. It’s so kind of you.” Shin Hye said to him politely.

“I told you that you can call me ‘Dad’.” Mr. Smith told her for a millionth time.

“Sorry, dad. I sometimes forget.” Shin Hye smiled at Mr. Smith. “I’ll be going now. I have an early day tomorrow.” She informed him as she stood up and held Eric’s hand.

“Alright! Be safe dear!” Mr. Smith greeted her as they headed for the door.

“Kaja, Eric!” Shin Hye said to him happily as her son looked at her smiling. “Eo? What is that?” Shin Hye said as she saw a stick popping out of the pocket of his jacket. She bent down to see it.

“Uh-Oh!” He said as he looked at his nanny who was also wide eyed. Shin Hye pulled it out.

“Did Mr. Smith give you this?” She asked Eric with a suspicious look.

“Uhm….” Eric tried to not answer her. Shin Hye closed one of her eyes so she would focus him wih one eye and which usually would successfully retrieve a confession out of him. “Neh… It was only because I was crying.” Eric explained slowly.

Shin Hye stood up with both hands on her hips. “Alright then, only this once.” She told her son and put it back neatly to his pocket.

She lifted her head to breathe in fresh air. She saw a tall man with his hood up and a guitar casing at his back with his bag pack on as well leaning against the wall. She remembered a few days back, there was a news about a lady being attacked by a suspicious man. Shin Hye quickly grabbed her son’s hand and turned around to walk quickly to their home.

“I’ll take that, Ms. Park.” Her maid said as she took Shin Hye’s jacket from her.

“Thank you, Joong Mi.” Shin Hye said as she took off Eric’s jacket and took out his lollipop and handed her maid her son’s jacket. “Prepare the dishes out, I’ll join you at the kitchen once I changed into home clothes.” She told her maid. “Eric, you do your homework first, okay?” She instructed her son. Eric obediently ran to the living room with his bag and settled at the coffee table as he took out his books and checked on his work.

After five minutes, Shin Hye went out of her room and checked her son in the living room to see if he was doing his homework and if he was doing it correctly. “That’s my genius baby!” She praised as she kissed his cheek. “Eomma going to cook with Imu now. Shall we cook your favourite honey chicken?” She asked. Eric immediately looked at his mother excitedly and nodded his head vigorously.

“Chuaheyo Eomma.” He replied his mother. Shin Hye smiled at her son happily and kissed him on his forehead. She then hugged him tightly.  “Wae yo Eomma?” Eric asked confused with his mother’s sudden action.

“Eomma nomu nomu nomu saranghae Eric,” She said as she looked at his face who was smiling contently at her.

“Nomu nomu nomu saranghaeyo Eomma.” He pecked his mother’s cheek. Shin Hye gave him another hug before she headed to her kitchen to join Joong Mi.

"Eomma?" Eric called.

"Neh?" Shin Hye responded as she went through the ingredients she needed for cooking.

"Can I watch TV?" He asked his mother.

"Neh... But first, put away your school things and put them at the coat hanger so that you won't forget it tomorrow." Shin Hye instructed him.

"Ara... Eomma." He answered as he packed up his things. Shin Hye smiled as she felt blessed having Eric in her life. Eric was such a good boy and very obedient too. 

Eric carried his bagpack towards the coat hanger which was located not far from the main entrance of their door. As he was about to go back to the living room, Eric heard a loud thud on the door. He then took a stool towards the door and peeked but saw no one. He shrugged thinking that it could be one of the neighbours who was drunken and got the wrong door. It happened quite often in their neighourhood at times. Eric put back the stool and ran to the living room and switched on the television. 

When Shin Hye heard the television was switched on, she called out to Eric, "What are you watching my love?" 

"Eomma!" Eric screamed. Shin Hye was surprised, she placed down the chicken and the knife and ran over to the living room.

"Wae?" She asked seeing him pointing at the television. Then, Shin Hye saw, he was watching a documentary about dogs and puppies. "Aigooo! My baby! You almost gave Eomma a heart attack." She went over and kissed his forehead. 

"Can we have one?" He asked in English giving his mother puppy eyes hoping his mother would fall for it.

"Andwe!" She stood up straight as she looked at him and crossed her arms. 

"Awh.... I want one..." He said saidly as he pouted.

"Maybe when we have our own house, okay?" She replied in English. 

"Okay..." He agreed quietly and continued to watch the documentary. Shin Hye walked back to the kitchen to continue cooking. 

************ 

When Min Ho heard Eric stomping closer, he quickly hid under the door so that when Eric peeked through, he wouldn't see Min Ho. After, he felt that Eric went away, Min Ho squatted in front of their door. He was not sure whether he should have knocked and introduced himself to her and her family or just go back to the hotel where he should have been.

Min Ho could smell the beautiful aroma of Shin Hye’s cooking from the door of her apartment.

“Ah… She’s making my favourite!” He thought missing the time when he had the chance to taste her cooking.

He could hear her conversation with her son. He felt envious of Eric receiving Shin Hye’s true affection and love which he once did. He missed that a lot.

He stepped back and stared at the number of the door. “106…” He read as he touched the number on the door. “So, this is where you are…” He said filled with affection as if he was touching her face like he used to do. “I missed you terribly…” Tears broke and rolled on his cheeks. “Why did you have to run away… Why did you have to endure everyt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter