Chapter five: It was contractual at first...

Strumming our Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ho tried to force himself to sleep as he stared into the darkness around him. It was almost two in the morning. He recalled Shin Hye in her y night gown and he recalled her talking in her sleep. He remembered the first time he experienced her sleep talking, it was when she was admitted into the hospital after being attacked at their old agency. He felt responsible for her hence he kept on visiting her when she was hospitalized. 

“Shin Hye… Shin Hye…” Min Ho called out her name as she opened her eyes slightly.

“Hmm…” She responded and turned her head towards the voice calling out her name.

“You’re awake… You’re finally awake.” Min Ho said in sheer excitement.

“Wa-waegere yo?” Shin Hye asked trying to gather her thought. She immediately wanted to sit down, she felt a sting on top of her hand and looked at her hand and she noticed that she had an IV put through her. She furrowed her eyebrows as things seemed blurry to her. She looked at Min Ho puzzled.

“Y-you… were asleep for two days…” He explained. She squinted her eyes at him still feeling confused. “Oh… You’re in hospital. The incident… You don’t remember it?” He asked.

Shin Hye then remembered two nights before that. She placed her other hand at the back of her head and realized her head was bandaged. She cringed remembering the sharp pain she had after being hit hard by the chair.

“The doctor had to give you stitches. Your scalp was torn a bit. I told the doctor that you love your precious hair so in order to hold the gauze he bandaged it.” Min ho explained to her.

“I see…” She whispered as felt dry and she still felt weak.

“Do you want some water?” He asked her. Shin Hye felt weird with his sudden hospitality towards her. He was never like that to her or anybody before.

“Why are you being like this?” She asked, her voice raspy.

“Being like what?” Min Ho asked a tad confused.

“Nice and helpful.” She told him directly.

“Your mom came and …” Min Ho said softly.

“E-Eomma?” Her eyes widened. “Eomma…” She then said softly as if missing her very badly. Min Ho could see it in her eyes. “How did she know it?” She asked Min Ho.

“I wanted to call her but your phone was locked. None of the people in our agency knew any of your family numbers as you had left it blank. People thought you were an orphan… But…” Min Ho explained to her.

“Oppa came?” She asked at him with fear filled in her eyes.

“No… Not him.” He answered quickly. “It’s one of the doctors here who recognized you.” Min Ho told her as he poured her a warm water.

“Doctor?” Shin Hye asked him back.

“Neh…” Min Ho answered as he handed her a cup of water. “Wait…” He asked Shin Hye to wait before she drank the water. He went took a straw from the drawer of the table next to her bed and put it in. “Okay… Now you can drink.” He said as he smiled. Shin Hye still feel awkward at his attentive behavior but she was too blurry and confuse to really care about it. She drank the water slowly.

She cleared , “Thank you…” She thanked him and smiled a bit at him.

Min Ho smiled back at her and it was her first time seeing his charming and sincere smile towards her. She felt somewhat calmed and comfortable seeing his smile.

The door to her room opened and a doctor entered. Shin Hye froze, she blinked her eyes when she saw the person entered.

“Ah… You’re awake…” The doctor said and smiled affectionately at her. “How are you feeling Shin Hye?” He said as if he was an old, dearest friend to her.

“Top?” She asked him.

“So, your brain is working well since you remembered me.” He joked as he got closer to the side of the bed.

“You know him?” Min Ho asked. He looked like a jealous boyfriend.

Shin Hye looked at Min Ho and nodded at him and at the same time, were once again confused with his action and sudden affection.

The doctor whom she called Top seemed to read the situation well, “Oh… You probably need some explanation, we knew each other way back. Our parents are friends and we studied together in US. I like her but she didn’t care about my existence at all. What can I do?” Doctor Top joked. Min Ho shifted uncomfortably towards his joke especially the part, about him liking her.

“Yah! Choi Seung Hyun Oppa!” Shin Hye croaked as she glared at him for making that kind of joke.

“I-I’ll give you two some space. I’ll see you later.” Min Ho face was dark as he stood up.

“No…” Shin Hye held his hand tightly. “Stay.” She said to Min Ho. Min Ho hesitantly sat down as told by Shin Hye.

Dr. Choi felt challenged when he saw Shin Hye held another man’s hand. He had been having that longing feeling for President Park’s daughter for quite some time. In fact, since they had to study together in US. In the end, being a professional doctor, he just suppressed his jealousy and looked at Shin Hye affectionately.

“My dearest friend,” He said. Shin Hye and Min Ho both looked at him expectantly to wait for his explanation. “You are very lucky that your bones are strong and no serious impact to your spine at all. That is also thank you to your very thick unfashionable jacket that you wore which absorbs the momentum. However, if only you were wearing a helmet…” He raised his eyebrow playfully at Shin Hye which made Shin Hye rolled her eyes towards him, “Your skull at the back… did not crack open…” He more which made Shin Hye gave him her ‘Are kidding me’ face, “But the skin tore a little bit because the whatever is being used hit it hard and probably quite sharp.” He smiled at her playfully. “And yes… I did not shave your hair to make a pothole so that you could carry a new trendy hair do but I work hard to give a quite impressive stitch as if I only glue back the torn skin.” He winked at her.

“Yah! Oppa!” She hit Dr. Choi on his arm.

“And Yes! Your hit is always hurting my dearest muscle. At times, I wonder if you are a boy disguised in a pretty girl’s skin.” He . Shin Hye gave a small chuckle at his joke. While Min Ho stared at the both of them not comprehending their relationship.

“Don’t worry Shin Hye boyfriend. She is not falling for me no matter how charming I try to be nor no matter how much her father loves me so much that he wanted me to be his son in law.” Dr. Choi smiled bitterly at Min Ho. ‘What a lucky dude! I wonder what she saw in him? Is it because he is a rockstar?’ He thought in his head.

“Oh…” Min Ho was about to clarify their status but Shin Hye stopped him. She looked at him and mouthed ‘Chaebal’ and gave a look that translated into ‘Please help me out just this time.’ “Y-Yes… I see…” He uttered but inside his heart he was fluttering feeling happy eventhough they were just a made up couple.

“I called your mom and ask her not to tell your dad. She came and your BOYFRIEND here to tell her everything. I’ll get going first. I have another patient to see and will come back to visit you later.” He said as he looked at his watch and then he looked at Min Ho, “Please take really good care of this princess. She’s not someone you want to lose.” He looked at Min Ho sadly and walked out of Shin Hye’s room.

“Thank you!” Shin Hye breathed out a sigh of relief when Dr. Choi closed the door behind him.

“Er… Neh… Gwenchana. I supposed it was a much needed situation.” He smiled at her. “Is he your fiancé?” Min Ho braven himself to ask her.

Shin Hye looked at him and smiled bitterly and to his r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter