Chapter seven: My life is mine!

Strumming our Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was their annual visit to their grandparents. The two siblings were very happy to finally meet them as they had been away for quite sometime. Shin Hye as usual would pranced like a happy mousedeer towards her grandmother.

“Aigooo… Aigooo… Aigooo… This girl!” Her helmoni said as she smiled at her.

“Helmoni.. I miss you a lot!” She said as she stole a kiss on her cheek.

“Harabojiiiii!” She squeeled as she was about to hug and kiss him. Her grandfather raised his cane to keep the distance. “Harabojiiii!” She pleaded.

“Yah! You’re old enough to be a mother of a child. Stop behaving like a baby!” Her haraboji scolded her.

“Haraboji!” She pleaded again.

Her grandfather gave up. He then let her hug him and planted a kiss on his cheek. Like a happy child hugging a santa clause, she hugged him happily.

“Aigoo… This girl,” Haraboji said as he patted her head.

Dinner was prepared lavishly, they all seated properly and the butler served them one by one. Shin Hye loved eating over at her grandparents as her helmoni would go to the distance of preparing a set of grandeur dishes for them.

“Woah….” Shin Hye face beamed with happiness as she eyed each dish being served on the dinner table. Her mother was glaring at her to warn her to eat properly. She gave her mother a sheepish smile.

“Aigoo… Sun Hee-yah.. let her be. If she goes to US, then it would be long before she could eat our delicious dish.” Her helmoni said softly. Shin Hye’s mother smiled amicably at helmoni.

“Neh.. Helmoni.” Her mother said agreeing to the elder.

After they ate, they all proceeded to the big library room, the butler served them  some tea and local delicacies. Shin Hye enjoyed all the food being served by her grandmother and especially sweet local delicacies. They all were very inviting and mouthwatering to her.

“Aigoo…” Her helmoni patted her bottom like she usually did when Shin Hye was very young. “You are going to be round!” She said plainly. “Good for bearing children.” Shin Hye stopped eating at the moment she heard the world bearing children. She quickly finished the local cake she had on her hand and sat down next to her mom while holding her mother’s hand and playing with it. “Aigoo.. She’s still a baby…” Her grandmother commented again smiling seeing how Shin Hye was very attached to her mother.

“Ara… She is still like this Omonim.” Her mother tried to push her away but Shin Hye immediately leaned closer to her mom.

“Aish… Shin Hye Yah… sit properly. You have to practice from now on to behave especially when you meet the family of your husband to be.” Her haraboji told her.

“Haraboji….” Shin Hye said in protest. “It’s modern time. No one believes in arranged marriage.” Shin Hye said bluntly.

“Shin Hye!” Her father scolded her.

“Sorry Haraboji… But I want to be free for as long as I can.” She said again. This time her father glared at her. Shin Hye lowered her gaze and just snuggled at her mother.

“I heard the Choi has a very handsome son?” Her grandfather changed the subject.

“There are two of them, which one oboji?” Shin Hye’s father asked as he sipped the herbal tea.

“The eldest one.” He said softly.

“Choi Seung Hyun?” Shin Hye blurted out again.

“Yah!” Her mother held her hand.

“So, you have met?”Her haraboji said smiling happily. “What do you think about him?”

“He’s just a friend haraboji. I am too young to be interested in this matter and I shall say it, I am no into arranged marriage. It’s icky.” She said in a perfect English accent.

“Well, being born as son and daughter of chaebol, you must be careful and you are intelligent enough to know this.” Her haraboji replied back. “If you want to save our generations of wealth, we have to choose who we invite to become our family.” He hinted her. Shin Hye pretended not to listen but he knew her well, when she felt threatened she would act as if she was ignorant about the subject but she would listen tentatively. 

Shin Hye being quiet really worried her mother as she knew how rebellious Shin Hye could get if she was asked to do something that she had disliked so her mother held her hand tightly.

“Eomma…?”Shin Hye whispered. Her mother signalled her to just stay quiet.

“Shin Won, I am proud of you my boy.” Her grandfather turned to him. “I have the neurologist head position ready for you once you come back.” He promised him.

“I will work at African countries for two years haraboji. I want to enrich my knowledge. I am still lacking a lot and I think you should only give me the position if I totally deserve it. Dr. Han Won Jin is the best suited so far. He will be my teacher and I will learn from him. ” Shin Won said carefully as he knew Shin Hye had just aggravated the entire situation.

“I see but come back quickly and I do understand what you mean but the position is made for you.” He said briefly. Shin Won shifted uncomfortably with his grandfather's decision. 

*******

“Haraboji…” Shin Hye entered his study room with his favourite tea. “Can I come in please?” She pleaded her grandfather by giving him an adorable look.

“Fine… Come in my stubborn butterfly.” He called her in. Shin Hye served the tea to her grandfather.

“How is it?” She asked like she usually did.

“It’s getting better.” He said as he placed the cup and saucer on his table.

“What are you studying haraboji?” She asked. Shin Hye was immediately drawn to the paper that his grandfather was reading.

“It’s a new case study for cardiac arrest methodology. The cardiology department needs granting for this study so I am looking through it. Why don’t you read it for me?”He passed the paper.

Shin Hye read through it, “Oppa would easily answer this.” She said as she passed it back.

“What are your main interest?” He asked Shin Hye.

“I like children. Probably, pediatrician.” She answered shortly. “I find it very challenging as the structure of little kids body can be extremely sensitive.” She explained to him.

“I would suggest you go for cardio. Pediatrician can be very scary if you are not thorough.” He debated his granddaughter.

“So is Cardio or other section for that matter.” Shin Hye countered as she smiled sweetly at her grandfather.

"You know in US they call quick witted girl like you as black dahlia." Her grandfather teased.

"You mean black widow?" She asked quite unfamiliar with the term.

"Ani... Black widow is a woman who kill the husband. Black dahlias are highly intellectual girls but usually get themselves into harm due to their quick wit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter