Chapter eight: On my own... path...

Strumming our Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chicago.

 

"Are you sure you want to take the leave Ms. Park?" Ask Dr. Lockhart, the dean of the hospital. She was in her mid forties but she looked younger than her age and often being mistaken for a resident rather than her real position in the University Hospital.

 

Shin Hye nodded giving her a smile as her assurance.

 

"It really is a pity since you are one of those rare talented and fast learner doctor around here. A lot of your professor praise you for your thorough and very astute work. I don't like the idea of letting go one of our very best students around. " She exasperated feeling very frustrated to know that she had to sign a statement of release for one of her hopeful candidates. "You know, we women don't easily go up in this area. It is often trusted to men for the very reason that we are women. It sounded ist but in reality I can understand why. I mean, a few weeks back I had to make a choice to send one of the doctors in ER for conference. I can't believe what a I was when I reviewed my choice, you see, it was between these two female doctors, I chose the one who has no marital commitment or children over the other one with marital status and children to look after. I know they are both women but what I am trying to point out is that the moment, you are married and tied with children, they would stray away from giving you the equal opportunity of what male would receive."  Dr. Lockhart sighed and showed signs of regret on her face.

 

"I understand what you are saying. I guess it is inevitable and I can see that you are truly regretting this issue Dr. Lockhart and I know you are going to try your best to ensure everybody to receive equal treatment in all sections." Shin Hye assured her which lit up Dr. Lockhart's face.

 

"Awh.. You are just darn sweet and a quality which we rarely have nowadays. Maybe it's because you're an Asian?" Dr. Lockhart presumed.

 

"Sorry?" Shin Hye begged an explanation.

 

"Oh, I don't mean to offend you. I mean, nowadays, in this society especially in US, we are lacking that, the genial manner once we used to pride in. Nowadays, people are harsher and more inconsiderate. It's sad." She nodded agreeing to her own statement.

 

"I am sure it's not all... When I first came here, you are one of those people who was very kind and caring enough to help me get use to this country." Shin Hye tried to console. "There's still hope." She smiled at Dr. Lockhart.

 

"Anyway... What are you planning to do?"Dr. Lockhart asked as she held Shin Hye's leave of absence form.

 

"This and that. I haven't figured out yet but it could be just a phase. You know, to clear up my family issue first. Then, I can focus back with full attention and undivided." She told Dr. Lockhart.

 

"I see... It can be disturbing if you have family issue at the back of your mind. Oh well! I won't pry in your business. I know you'll be back. This field is made just for the likes of you." Dr. Lockhart found her pen and signed to consent the leave of absence for Shin Hye. Shin Hye's face lit up as she saw that she was a step away to the journey that she really wanted. 

 

"Thank you! Dr. Lockhart... Saranghaeyo!" Shin Hye said happily to her.

 

"The what yo?" Dr. Lockhart asked in confusion.

 

"I love you." She replied. "It's korean language." She explained.

 

"Ah... I see... Thank you though but be careful on blurting such things. You might be misunderstood." She chuckled at Shin Hye.

 

"Eo? Yes... Of course, I said it to you, it's because I know you are not that kind." Shin Hye replied.

 

As she stepped out of the room, slowly a big grin was forming on her beautiful face which went noticed by her good friend, Seung Hyun. 

 

"Sigh... Don't I wish that smile was for me." Seung Hyun teased as he saw her smiling brightly at a piece of paper. "But sadly, the paper received much love from you rather than me." He pouted sadly which was pretentious. Shin Hye chuckled at him and ran towards him in excitement.

 

"Oppa, here!" She said as she smiled at him more. 

 

"Don't do that! I might just fall for you." He teased more. "Oh, wait! Too late, you've broken my heart to thousand pieces." He joked more.

 

"Yah!!" Shin Hye hit him on his muscular arm which ended up she was the one who felt the pain. "Ouch! Am I hitting a rock here?" She pointed at his bicep. Seung Hyun laughed at her silliness. 

 

"Sigh! I love you so much...." He blurted out and saw Shin Hye's facial expression changed into panic."Nurse Johnson!" He shouted to a nurse passing by.

 

"Oh! Dr. Top!" Nurse Johnson said flirtatiously at him. "You're such a tease."

 

"Only to you baby!" He winked as Nurse Johnson giglled and walked away.

 

"Aigoo.... So this is what you have been doing behind my back?" Shin Hye pretended to be angry with both hands on her hips.

 

"You consented my freedom. I wait for no woman and I need to make a baby soon." He joked at Shin Hye. Shin Hye knew better that Seung Hyun was just teasing her and he was not the kind of man who would flirt around or play around with women's heart. 

 

"Baby?" Shin Hye asked as they walked together towards the corridor that led to the front of the hospital. "Are you that desperate?" She smiled at him as she asked him.

 

"Just kidding. Would I want to sell away my freedom? Unless the partner in baby making is YOU!" He pointed at her upper arm and smiled cheekily, "Then I am settling for goood." He winked. 

 

"Aish!" Shin Hye stuck out her tongue at him. "You are not my style." She kidded.

 

"Tell me what is your style?" He asked as they both also in between of their conversation, greeted others who they knew around the hospital. 

 

"Just not you." She winked at him. 

 

"You really know how to make a guy go crazy do you?" He told her.

 

"I have lived my nearly entire life with a big brother. What do you think?" She said back. They finally had reached the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter