Chapter 4: You are still the way I remembered you...

Strumming our Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

London

“I will throw the rubbish out,” Joong Mi told Shin Hye as she walked out of the kitchen while carrying the rubbish bag.

“Okay!” Shin Hye decided to join her son who ran immediately to the living room to watch some more television. She brought a plate of fruits for them to snack on and some water to wash down their fruits.

Shin Hye sat down next to her son as she put her arms around him and smiled at him as he looked at his loving mother. “What are we watching?” Shin Hye asked.

“A documentary about penguins,” He answered as he grabbed a fork and got a fruit on it to put into his mouth.

“Wah... Uri Ah-deul really love animals.” Shin Hye praised her son as she too fork out a fruit and ate it.

“Miss… Park…” Joong Mi entered the living room huffing for air and looked pale as if she saw a ghost.

Eric looked at her for a second and then paid his attention to the documentary again.

Shin Hye put her fork down and attended to Joong Mi, “Neh?” as she inspected Joong Mi’s facial expression.

“Outside…” She said while catching her breathe as she pointed at their main entrance door.

“Eo?” Shin Hye slowly stood up, “What is it?” She asked. “Calm down…” She tried to calm Joong Mi down so that Joong Mi could explain to her.

“Someone… Someone… lying at the front door.” Joong Mi finished her sentence.

“What?” Shin Hye’s eyes widened in surprise. She knew there were some drunkards but never had they experienced a drunkard fainted or laying in anyone’s porches. Even so, usually the patrolling security would help them up to go to their apartment. “I’ll call the security first.” Shin Hye told Joong Mi before she went out.

When she stepped outside her main entrance, she saw a person lying on the floor with bag pack and a guitar case. She remembered seeing someone like him or her following them but she couldn’t recall of the jacket being worn nor the face since that person had the hood up and half the face was covered with the scarf. They could be two different people. Shin Hye thought about a homeless person but she threw out that idea since the person is wearing quite a new outfit and branded too for that matter. The person looked clean and neat as well. She kneeled to take off the hood to see who it was when the security guards came in huffing.

“Ah… The beautiful Miss Park.” Said one of them who obviously seemed to develop a crush on Shin Hye. Shin Hye looked at Joong Mi first before diverting her attention to the two security guards.

“Is this the person?” Asked the security guard with the name Jonah.

“Yes,” She answered. “Our Joong Mi was about to throw the rubbish when she found this person laying here. She quickly called me to see this hence why I called you.”

“Sorry, we were at the middle of exchanging shift with the previous guards hence we have not done our patrol yet.” Jonah explained apologetically.

“It’s alright. I am worried about this person.” Shin Hye voiced out.

Jonah kneeled down to check the person but he immediately recognized the jacket. “Oh… This is the person who asked about Mrs. Eilder.” He claimed.

“But didn’t you say you were just here for the shift change?” Shin Hye pointed out.

“I came earlier, I hung out with the other two. About one and a half hours ago he came in asking about Mrs. Eilder. We thought he was a relative or a friend’s child visiting. He doesn’t look local.” Jonah explained. Shin Hye nodded as she listened. The other security was just staring at her immensely which made Shin Hye felt quite uncomfortable. “Come on, Bourdain. Let’s check him out.” Jonah nudged him.

“But, Mrs. Eilder is on fourth floor.” Joong Mi said feeling more curious as to why that person ended up at their floor which was the first.

Both of the security guards who had just kneeled looked up at Joong Mi. “Ah… He could be lost. He didn’t asked us which floor. Mrs. Eilder was. We assumed he had the address.” Jonah answered.

“He could have gone down to ask you guys again.” Shin Hye suggested.

“Maybe he was and this happened?” Jonah assumed. Shin Hye shrugged. “He looked Chinese or mix of Asian and Caucasian. He’s not local.” Jonah emphasized.

“Not local? Chinese?”  Shin Hye thought to herself. “Sulma… I hope he’s not a spy send by Appa…”  She said worried. “Joong Mi, why don’t you assist Mrs. Eilder here so she can confirm this person.” Joong Mi nodded and took along the rubbish plastic to throw out. “Let’s check his face.” She instructed. She was feeling rather nervous about this. She prayed deep inside that the person would really be Mrs. Eilder’s relative. She knew better if an unfamiliar being came across her life and especially if they are Asian, it could only mean that her father had succeeded tracking her. It would mean that she have to find another hiding for the safety of Eric and herself or she would be forcefully dragged back to Korea and lived there again. The idea of having Eric going through what she had to go through sent shivers to her spine and the security guard who admired her noticed that.

“Are you alright? Is it chilly here?” He asked filled with concern.

Shin Hye smiled and pressed her lips as she shook her head. “Please,” She asked him to continue investigate the stranger laying in front of her.

Jonah and Bourdain took off his bag and guitar case, then straightened the person out. Jonah then pulled down the hood which was covering the person's face. His long hair covered his face. Shin Hye could only see a hint of his face. She felt a certain familiarity but it would be impossible. She waited patiently, as Jonah swept the hair from the person’s face, Shin Hye saw his face. Her breath stopped. Her eyes widened. Her hands fell to her side. When Jonah pulled off his scarf, without her realization she uttered the name of a person whom she had not mentioned for a long time and tried to erased from her head. “Lee – Min – Ho?” She whispered but could still be heard by the two security guards.

“Do you know him?” Bourdain asked her.

“Eo?” She looked at him blankly.

“Do you know this person?” Jonah repeated Bourdain’s question.

Shin Hye slowly nodded but her eyes showed fear. “Y-Yes!” She answered clearing .

“Is he a relative of Mrs. Eilder?” Jonah asked Shin Hye further for assurance.

Shin Hye shrugged and shook, “I am not sure.” She answered still staring at Min Ho’s face. She was still in disbelief of seeing him in person and puzzled as how he ended up right in front of her apartment.

Soon after, Mrs. Eilder came with the assistance of Joong Mi. Mrs. Eilder was a 70 years old lady and one of the oldest occupant of the building. She had to have help walking using her cane. She slowly came towards Shin Hye.  Shin Hye greeted her and smiled as she also assist Mrs. Eilder towards Lee Min Ho. “I was asked to come here, dear?” She told Shin Hye.

Shin Hye pointed at Mrs. Eilder of where Lee Min Ho was lying.

“Oh No! Someone’s dead?” Mrs. Eilder shook in fear. She covered her face with one of her hands.

“Ani…” Joong Mi’s slipped of her tongue. “No, no no… He is okay. He fainted.” She tried to calm her down.

“Look… His chest is still heaving.” Jonah pointed out. “In fact, I think he is sleeping.” They all kept quite and heard a silent purr of snoring from him.

Mrs. Eilder finally calmed down and put her hand down.

“Do you know him?” Jonah asked her.

Mrs. Eilder inspected the unconscious man laying on the floor. She furrowed her eye brows trying hard to recognize his face. She was about to shake her head then suddenly, her face lit up. “Ah… Yes!” She said in sheer confidence. “He was the kind young man who helped me. When I was on my way back here, the taxi dropped me about a building away, I had to walk and some young men running around having fun had one of them bumped into me and just ran away and my cane flew quite far from my reach. He saw what happened and helped me up. I told him I stayed in this building and he could come whenever he wanted to visit. I think I gave him my address.” She elaborated lengthy. “But... Why is he here?” She asked.

Shin Hye breathed out a sigh of relieve knowing that it was truly a pure coincidence that he was in her building but she was still wondering how did he ended up at her apartment. Assuming, Min Ho could be accidentally misread the address, she wanted to hide her face before he woke up. She suggested to the security guards, “Maybe, the two gentlemen here can carry him to your apartment, Mrs. Eilder.”

The security was about to lift him up when Mrs. Eilder stopped them and touched Shin Hye’s arm.

“Dear… Is it okay if he stay at your place? I am too old to host this man. I hope you can help me.” Shin Hye hesitated at first but being herself who would feel the guilt if she refused Mrs. Eilder request. She sighed deeply, “Sure…” she agreed.

They then brought Lee Min Ho into her apartment and laid him on the sofa of her living room. Eric being a very shy little boy ran quickly into his room to hide. Shin Hye switched off the television and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter