Chapter 7

The Switch

Amber’s POV

 

I’ve been working as Donghae’s replacement for a few days now. Krystal and I are like cat and dog. Every time we are in a room together we end up glaring at each other, we‘re always fighting in and out of class, she will kick or punch me as we pass each other in the hallways.  To be honest, I love these moments the most. She can be such a kid. But it’s this kid and this kid alone that always seems to make my heart race whenever she’s around.

 

I was finally able to be myself at school too. Heechul’s little plan was a successful though I wonder if we should call it his plan when it wasn’t even part of the plan. When the students asked about my new personality Heechul told them about the fight and my “concussion”. He explained to them that for the next couple of weeks I will be different so to just accept it as it is.

 

The teacher’s meeting had just ended and Heechul and I decided to hang out later since it’s a Friday night. I was thankful at moments like this that I always carry a small umbrella in my bag. Taking it out and opening it I readied myself to face the storm. As I was walking down the school yard I noticed someone taking shelter under a big tree. They must have been caught up in the heavy downpour. As I walked closer to that person I noticed that it was Krystal even though she had her back turn to me. She was soaked to the bone. She must be cold because I noticed that she kept rubbing her arm.

 

“Waiting for help?” I asked when I was behind her. She jumped a little from the sudden voice. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you.” I said while putting my hand on her shoulder. I shut my eyes readying myself to get yelled at but nothing came. Opening one eye I saw her pale face. “H-hey! What’s wrong?” I asked in a panic. Suddenly a bright flash followed by a loud boom was heard. This made her hug my arm tightly and I wrapped my arm around her waist. She didn’t have to say anything for me to figure out that she was scared. I took off my blazer and put it around her before handing her my umbrella. “Hold onto this, I’ll go get my car. You just wait here, okay?” I said looking into her eyes before turning to go. However, having only taken two steps I felt her hand on my hand. “W-what’s wrong?” I asked nervously.

 

“D-don’t leave me, p-please.” She said sounding like a lost child.

 

“I’m just going to get my car. I’ll be back as soon as possible okay?” I said before making an attempt to go but was stopped once again.

 

“D-don’t let g-go of my hand. Y-you won’t co-come b-back for me. I-I just know it.” She managed to say with her trembling mouth. She’s always put up a strong front. Seeing her in this weak state broke my heart. The fear in her eyes, fear that I won’t be coming back to get her I concluded that I can’t leave her here, alone.

 

“Do you trust me?” I asked her. She hesitated to nod but in the end nodded, seeing her nod I smiled a little. I took off my tie and untied it. I smiled to her, reassuring her that I won’t leave her  before taking her hand in mine. I tied the tie around our intertwining hands, lifted it up, squeezed it and said “I will never let go of you.”

 

Krystal’s POV

 

The teacher’s meeting just ended and even though I’m technically not a teacher I still had to participate. When I got outside it started to sprinkle. Knowing that it could turn real bad in seconds I hurriedly ran to my car but before making it even halfway the sprinkle turned into heavy downpour. At first I tried ignoring it and kept walking but I knew I couldn’t make it when it started thundering. I hate thunder. Actually, I’m afraid of thunder. When I was a kid I got lost at the fair once. Dad had always said to stay in one spot if I ever get lost and that he will come find me. And so being the good kid that I am, I stayed in that spot. But before he could find me it started pouring. However, I didn’t move because if I moved he won’t be able to find me anymore. I stood there in the pouring rain, roaring thunders and lightning accompanied me. After an hour or so, the rain finally stopped and dad found me. After that incident I kept having reoccurring nightmares about thunders and lightning and I became afraid of them ever since.

 

I was shivering from the cold and I was scared. I don’t know how long I’ve been sheltering under this tree and I don’t know how long the storm will last. All of a sudden I heard a voice from behind. I wish I could turn around but I couldn’t because it seems like my body froze. The person put their hand on my shoulder and from the corner of my eyes I saw that it was Donghae. I never thought I’ll ever be happy to see him. He said some things but I couldn’t hear well over the pounding rain. Just then lightning flashed and a loud boom was heard. I grabbed onto his arm trying to at least find some comfort. He must have sensed that I was scared since he wrapped his arm around me protectively. After a few minutes he let go of me and took of his blazer. When he put his blazer on me and handed me the umbrella he said “Hold onto this, I’ll go get my car. You just wait here, okay?” before turning to go.

 

No, don’t go. Please! I wanted to say but couldn’t.

 

I grabbed his arm stopping him from going. “W-what’s wrong?” he stuttered while looking at me.

 

“D-don’t leave me, p-please.” I managed to croak.

 

“I’m just going to get my car. I’ll be back as soon as possible okay?” he said quickly before turning around again. Babo!! I just told you not to leave me. I took hold of his arm once again stopping him from going.

 

“D-don’t let g-go of my hand. Y-you won’t co-come b-back for me. I-I just know it.” We’ve always fight and I always hit him (even though I had good reasons to hit this ert) why would he come back to help me once he leaves?

 

“Do you trust me?” He asked. In any other circumstance I will never trust him but here I have no choice so I nodded my head. He smiled then took off his tie and untied it. Is he going to strip?? I mentally scolded myself for even trusting him for a second. He smiled gently at me before taking my hand in his. He then continued to tie the tie around our intertwining hands. He lifted our hands up then squeezed it gently before saying “I will never let go of you.” Ba-thump. Why did my heart skip a beat?

 

He dashed off into the rain while dragging me behind him, the rain pounding on us. We kept running, hands intertwined bounded by his tie until we got to his car. He quickly unlocked it and he opened the door for me on the passenger side. I got in but then remembered that we were still bounded together so he couldn’t close the car door. Aish! This idiot. I screamed in my head. He tried to untie it but he couldn’t when water kept going into his eyes. The rain kept pounding on him as he stood outside. Frustrated, I pushed his hand away so I can untie it but I couldn’t untie it either. How did he even tie this? In the end I had to scoot over to the driver’s side so he can enter on the passenger side. We just sat there in silence. After a while, I secretly glanced over to see what he’s doing but my eyes caught sight of his well-toned body, although unusually small for a man’s. His white shirt was transparent due to the wetness making his defined abs visible. Ba-thump. Gosh this stupid heart! What is wrong with you??

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: i hope it isn't too boring for you guys.