Chapter 4

The Switch

I was at the back listening to Ms. Jung teach the class. Apparently, she was the teacher’s assistant. I had thought she was a student when I first met her. This explains why she was talking to me informally earlier. Why didn’t Donghae tell me that he has an assistant? Knowing this could have saved me from all the stress.

 

“Mr. Liu!” Ms. Jung shouted snapping me out from my thoughts.

 

“Y-yes?” I asked.

 

“Please do pay attention when in class.” she said before turning to the board smirking. I heard some chuckles coming from the girls making my cheeks turn red from embarrassment. Aish! I’ll get you back, just you wait Jung. I paid extra close attention so I won’t miss my chance to make a fool out of her. But the class ended without me doing so. I couldn’t pick on her for anything since she was perfect at teaching and explaining the concept. I left the room dejectedly but was stopped by her.

 

“Liu! Please be a role model for the students. Don’t let this happen again.” Ms. Jung said before turning to walk away.

 

“Yah!” I shouted. Why is she treating me like a kid? I grabbed her wrist and spun her around.

 

“Let go of me, ert!” Ms. Jung screamed.

 

“Not until you-” I started but was cut off when she shouted.

 

“Unnie! Unnie! Help me!” My eyes widen.What? Unnie? Her unnie is here?

 

“Donghae! LET GO OF MY SISTER NOW! N.O.W!!” a menacing voice came from behind me. “Oh .” I cursed in my head. Letting Ms. Jung go I turned to see this ‘unnie’. I saw the coldest pair of eyes staring at me. It was burning with hatred. “I warned you before that if you bother my dongsaeng again I will kill you and dump your body in the Han river. Seems to me that you didn’t take it too seriously.” She smiled slyly. I really think I will die today.

 

I gulped before saying “I-i-it’s a misunderstanding ma’am.” I was shaking so bad.

 

“Hey, bro! Let’s go grab lunch!” Heechul waved as he ran towards me. Seeing him I let out an inaudible sigh in relief. I’m saved. However, he stopped in his track. “J-Jessie noona.” He stuttered.

 

“WHAT? I’M BUSY AT THE MOMENT CAN’T YOU SEE?!?” she screamed.

 

“N-nevermind, I-I’ll see you in the cafeteria, bro.” he said before racing off. So much for saving me.

 

“Thanks for the help, friend.” I sarcastically said stressing out the last word when I plopped down in the open seat in front of Heechul.

 

“Sorry, no one can do anything when it comes to Jessie noona. You of all people should know that.” He said before taking a bite to eat. “You really should stop making a move on Krystal though if you want to live.”

 

“Krystal??” I tilted my head in confusion. “Who’s that?” I don’t remember making a move on any Krystal. I don’t even know a Krystal.

 

“She must have hit you real hard in the head if you can’t remember Krystal.” He said while dramatically searching for a bump on my head. Seeing that I’m still confused he added, “Krystal? Ms. Jung? Younger sister of Jessie noona? Your assistant?”

 

“Ah!!!!” I exclaimed as I know who we’re talking about now. So Ms. Jung’s name is Krystal. I was about to say something when a group of girls came up to me.

 

“Mr. Liu can we sit with you?” they said. Looking around there are plenty of seats open so why do they want to sit here?

 

“Why?” I asked the girls. Their smile faded and they stuttered for an answer.

 

“b-because we want to sit together.” One of the girls said.

 

“There isn’t enough space at this table to fit everyone here. What about that table there?” I said pointing to an open table. I’m concerned that if they all sit here they won’t have enough room to eat. If they don’t eat well they can’t concentrate in their studies. The girls dejectedly walked over to the open table.

 

“Wow! Are you sure you’re okay? You’ve never turned down a girl, more so a group of girls before.” Heechul asked in concern. Oh shoot! I forgot that I have to pretend to be Donghae. I smacked myself on the head a few times. I can’t do this without losing my mind. “Why are you smacking yourself?” he raised his brows.

 

“DAFNOEUGALDJKASLLD! This is too stressful. I don’t care if you know! I need a haven in this place.” I said to him before quickly dragging him out of the cafeteria.

 

“What are you talking about, bro? And where are you dragging me to?” he asked.

 

“Just follow me. I have something to tell you.” I continued to drag him. I dragged him to the teacher’s lounge but upon seeing that some teachers were still in there I dragged him to an open classroom. At the door of the classroom I hesitated. What if someone walks in on us? Or what if they overhear us? Rethinking about it I dragged him away from the classroom and we entered the janitor’s closet.

 

“Seriously, dude. What’s wrong with you? You’ve been acting all weird ever since this morning. Mind telling me what’s going on??” He sounded upset. Hearing that I reconsidered. Do I really want to expose my cover? But if I don’t have an ally I will surely die in this place. Having made up my mind I told him.

 

“I’m sorry for lying to you. I’m not Donghae. Donghae is somewhere and I’m stuck here pretending to be him.” I said in one breath. There was silence; he didn’t say anything for a while.

 

“I really need to tell Jessie noona to take it easy on your head. You’re losing your mind.” He was half way out the janitor’s room when I dragged him back inside.

 

“I’m for real here, bro! I’m not Donghae. I’m Amber, Donghae’s sister. I’m 22 years old, I study chemistry at ********* University.” I tried convincing again.

 

“Where’s your proof?” he asked with arms crossed still suspicious.

 

“You’ve seen the proofs. You know I’m not Donghae.” He pondered on what I said. I’m praying that he believes me.

 

“Where’s your chest then?” he pointed to my chest.

 

“Yah! I’ve always had a flat chest. Don’t make fun of me!” I shouted but quiet enough so that outsiders can’t hear. He chuckled.

 

“Relax, I’m just kidding. But if you’re Donghae’s sister where’s Donghae?” he asked.

 

“I’ve been wondering the same thing. He didn’t tell me anything. Not about his job, not about this school, not about his reason for leaving.” I said.

 

“Alright, well let’s get out of this cramped place first. It smells like crap in here.” He stated while fanning in front of his nose. We both walked out of the closet, exaggeratedly breathing in fresh air causing us to laugh hysterically. All of a sudden he stopped laughing and offered his hand. “Heechul, Kim Heechul.” I stared at his outreach hand before flashing a dorky smile. “Amber, Liu Amber.” I said while shaking his hand.

 

“So what are we going to do about your personality? You could barely pretend to be him for half a day; you think you can pretend for the next few weeks?” He asked while we were walking back.

 

“That, I still don’t know. I’ll think of something.”

 

“We’ll.” He said with a smile. I didn’t quite understand until he clarified it “We’ll think of something.”