Chapter 26

The Switch

Krystal’s POV

 

I was just about to crawl into bed when my phone rang. Letting out a grunt I reached for my phone.

 

“Yes, unnie? Do you know what tim-WHAT? I’m coming over right now! Tell me which hospital.” I quickly got out of my pajamas and made my way towards the hospital. Why? Why is this happening again?

 

“Unnie!!” I shouted when I saw her pacing back and forth outside of the emergency room.

 

“K-Krys.” Unnie cried in my embrace. I hugged her tightly. This can’t be happening. Why? Isn’t my father enough? Why does He want my mother too?? I cursed at Him. I know I shouldn’t but this is too much. We sat waiting for the doctor to come out. It’s already been two hours. Click. Unnie and I rushed up to him.

 

“How is our mother? Is she okay?” unnie asked him while shaking him.

 

“Your mother is stable for now. We’ll have to monitor her for the next couple of days.” The doctor explained to us about mom’s condition before leaving. We entered mom’s room, Unnie took one side while I took the other side of her bed, each of us holding onto her hand.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t go home to visit you often, mom.” I cried next to her. We both stayed the night sitting by mom’s bed side.

 

“Krys, why don’t you stay here and take care of mom while I go tell the school. I’ll go ask off for the both of us.” Unnie said. I nodded my head.

 

I was in the room with unnie. Donghae had wanted to be here but he couldn’t because he had work and since with unnie and I gone he couldn’t ask off. He called Amber to keep us company. Amber just got back with some food in hand.

 

“Krystal, please eat something.” Unnie asked.

 

“I’m not hungry.” I said lifelessly. Mom hasn’t woken up yet, how could I possibly eat?

 

“Krystal.” I turned towards her voice. Somehow her voice calms me down a lot. “Please eat something.” She said, handing me the plate of food. I pushed it away and turned towards my mom. Getting annoyed by the constant tapping on my shoulder I faced her.

 

“What??” I asked coldly. She smiled a dorky smile and raised a spoon full of food.

 

“Ahhh.” She opened .

 

“Wha-” I was cut off when she fed me the food. She motioned for me to chew and swallow. I obeyed her. When she saw that I swallowed she gently patted my head.

 

“There you go. If you don’t eat what would your mother say when she sees you? Do you want to worry your mother as soon as she opens her eyes?” she asked. She’s right. I didn’t even think about that. How worried would she be when she seems me like this? “Good, now that you see it our way, please eat.” She scooped up a spoonful of food, ready to feed me again.

 

“I-I can eat by myself.” I said trying to take the spoon from her. She put the spoon out of my reach.

 

“No can do. You just sit there and eat. I’ll feed you.” She held the spoon in front of me. Somehow this got my heart to skip a beat. Why is my heart skipping a beat though? She kept feeding me until I was full. “You need to finish all these food, we can’t waste them.” She said.

 

“No, Am. I can’t eat anymore. I’m stuff.” I said, rubbing my belly to show how full I am. She giggled. I found her giggling cute.

 

“Fine, fine. I won’t force you to eat rest of the food but what should I do with them?” she asked, looking down at the plate of food.

 

“Why don’t you eat it?” I teased. The next thing she did shocked me.

 

“It’s good. Good thing I got this and not the other kind.” She said after chewing and swallowing my food. She looked up at me. “What’s wrong, Krystal?” she asked. I shook my head and swiftly turned away from her. My heart was beating so fast. I unconsciously raised my hand to touch my lips. We just had an indirect kiss. Amber just kissed me. I can feel the blood rushing to my face.

 

Amber and I had gotten very close over the past few days. She was always there supporting me and unnie. I can feel myself get drawn to her as I spent time with her. Once again those assumptions came back. I know that I had confirmed the tree with Donghae but here I am doubting again. There is something about her that just…my gut is telling me that it’s Amber. It keeps screaming that it’s Amber.

 

One sunny day, mom woke up from her coma. We were so happy we cried tears of joy. Amber was there when she woke up.

 

“Who is this?” mom asked.

 

“Hi, I’m Amber. I’m a friend of Jessie noona and Krystal and Donghae’s sister.” She said. I can see mom’s confused face. I suppressed a chuckle.

 

“Mom, Amber is a girl.” I told her. Her face was priceless.

 

“Who is Donghae then?” she asked. Oh crap, I haven’t mentioned to her about Donghae yet. I didn’t want to when I’m still in doubt.

 

“Mom, Donghae is Krystal’s boyfriend. They have been dating for half a year now.” Unnie told mom. I gave her a ‘you’re so dead’ glare. Unnie just meronged.

 

“I want to see him as soon as possible.” Mom said. I tried arguing back but couldn’t change her mind.

 

“Hi, Mrs. Jung. I’m Donghae Liu. I also work at the school.” Donghae introduced himself. Mom looked him up and down for a while before saying something that left me speechless.

 

“Do you love my daughter?” she asked.

 

“I do.” Donghae answered without any hesitation. Mom became silent for a while before speaking again.

 

“If you love her then marry her.” hearing this I shouted.

 

“Mom!!” she motioned for me to be quiet. The shock on Donghae’s face was still apparent.

 

“I don’t think I’ll have any more time. I want to be able to see my daughter get marry before I die.” Mom said. I was about to shout but Donghae had replied.

 

“I will Mrs. Jung. I’ll marry your daughter. In fact I have already planned on it even if you hadn’t asked me to.” I was shocked once again. When did he even think of marriage? I’m still confused about Amber and him, how could be already be planning on marrying me??

 

“That’s good to hear. We’ll have your wedding in three days then.” Mom said before motioning for us to leave so she can have her rest. Once outside of the room I couldn’t say anything. all sorts of questions were going through my mind but then was snapped out of it when Donghae put a hand on my shoulder.

 

“Babe, are you okay?” he asked.

 

“NO! How could you tell my mom that?? Marriage? It’s too soon!” I shouted. Seeing the hurt on his face I felt guilty.

 

“Y-you don’t want t-to marry me?” he asked.

 

“N-no, that’s not what I meant. I meant-” I tried to say something but was cut off.

 

“Great! So you do want to marry me! I’ll go tell the guys and have it all taken care of.” He left me dumbfounded. What? No!! I didn’t mean it like that!! Dammit! I ruffled my hair in annoyance. How do I get out of this mess? How do I not break mom’s heart?

 

When I got back to my apartment I received a message from Donghae to meet at a restaurant and to wear something formal. What does he want to do now? I just got done getting ready when my doorbell rang. Peeking through the peephole I saw Amber all dressed up. She had a blue and white stripe button down shirt, a black tie, khaki’s, and black leather dress shoes. She looked extremely dashing.

 

“Hi, Amber.” I smiled to her.

 

“Hi, Krystal.” She said not even looking at me. “If you’re done lets head out, we wouldn’t want to make hyung wait.” She said coldly before hurriedly leaving. Why does it seem like something bad will happen?

 

I was right. We were at the restaurant. Donghae had announced our wedding to everyone we know. Tonight was supposed to be a celebration.

 

“Ahem..if you’ll give your attention to me.” unnie said clinging on the glassware. When all were paying attention to her she continued. “I just want to congrats the two on their wedding. Although I thought I was going to get married first, you beat me to it little sis.” She said.

 

“Yuri when are you going to pop the question?!” Victoria unnie shouted. This caused Jessie unnie and Yuri unnie to blush.

 

“Anyways, congratulations you two. To Krystal and Donghae!” she ended with a raised cup of wine.

 

“To Krystal and Donghae!” everyone followed suit.

 

After the formal dinner we stopped at a karaoke place. I wanted to take this time to talk to Donghae about the wedding. I couldn’t before because there were too many people but now that it’s just us and our close friends I can finally get time alone with him.

 

“Can someone play a song on one of these instruments?” Sunny unnie shouted. Ignoring them I tried to get Donghae’s attention to follow me out so we can talk but then I stopped when I saw Amber walking up onto the stage.