Chapter 2

The Switch

“Aish! Why did I even agree to this?” I mumbled to myself as I stood at the entrance of a private school.

 

Flashback

 

 

First thing he did when we got to the mall was drag me to his friend who was a hairstylist.

 

“I want her” pointing to me “to have the same haircut as mine.” He said to his friend. He didn’t question Donghae at all and just did whatever Donghae told him. While his friend worked on me Donghae left to flirt with the female workers there. He had always been a player. It didn’t take long to finish; just a 15 minute trim was all it needed because I already had short hair to start off with.

 

“How does she look?” Donghae asked his friend when he came back. He then swung his arm around my shoulder pulling our faces closer.

 

“Exactly like you, Hae.” His friend answered.

 

He smiled widely, turned to face me and said “See? What did I tell you? No one will ever know the difference.”

 

“Wow.” I mouthed while touching my new trim. I’ve always heard that we look alike but I never believed it. But now I have to admit we really do look alike. No, in fact, we look identical. If you didn’t know any better you would have mistaken me for him.

 

End of flashback

 

“Get out of the way if you’re not going to go in Mr. Liu.”  a cold voice came from behind.

 

Turning around to see who it was my jaws dropped when I came face to face sharp cold eyes of a beautiful girl standing in front of me with her arms crossed around her chest. Her pointy nose, her luscious lips, those legs, and those icy cold eyes are so perfect and beautiful. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I felt a sudden pain at my shin and caught sight of her running into the school yard.

 

“Yah!” I shouted while jumping around on one leg and holding the other one where I was kicked.

 

She stopped running to turn around and shout, “That’s what you get, ert!!” before running away again.

 

“Did she just kick me?!?” I questioned angrily rubbing my shin trying to ease the pain away. “Are kids nowadays always this rude?” I thought to myself. Hearing the bell go off I picked my bag off the ground, adjusted my tie and limped my way into the school yard. While walking through the school yard the pain was forgotten when I saw the beautiful cherry blossom trees. They were planted along the school yard creating this tranquil environment. The wind picked up the fallen petals making them dance in the air. I closed my eyes and a smile appeared on my face. I envied Donghae for being able to enjoy this scene every day.

 

As I walked in the halls of the building trying to find the teacher’s lounge with Donghae’s badly drawn picture of the school’s laybout I noticed that there weren’t any male students in the classes that I passed by. Were they all skipping or something? While distracted from my thoughts I bumped into someone. She started to fall backwards so on reflex I grabbed her arm and wrapped my other arm around her waist, pulling her towards me so she can balance again.

 

“I-I’m so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.” I said with a bow when I pulled away from her.

 

“I-it’s okay Mr. Liu. I wasn’t looking where I was going either.” I tilted my head up to look at her only to see her redden cheeks.

 

“Are you okay, miss? Your face is red. I didn’t hurt you did I?” I asked in concern.

 

“No, I’m fine!” she said all too quickly. “I-it’s just the area right here has too much sunlight so I’m starting to get hot.” She said looking away from my gaze while fanning herself.

 

“Ah, I see. This place is really bright compared to others.” I said when I saw that this spot allowed more sunlight to be shown through.

 

“Y-yeah.” She stuttered. I think she’s nervous talking to a teacher. Yeah, that’s right. I took my brother’s place as a teacher in this school.

 

Flashback

 

“You want me to do what?” I shouted when he told me what exactly I’ll be doing.

 

“Replace me at school. You’ll be a teacher.” he said sounding as if this didn’t concern him and continued to pack his clothes in his suitcase before zipping it up.

 

“I can’t do that! I don’t know anything about teaching, less alone about whatever subject-YAH! Get back here! I’m still talking to you.” I shouted when he left the room with his suitcase. I followed close behind to only bump into him when he abruptly stopped at the doorstep, turned around, and put his hand on my shoulder.

 

“You’ll do fine, Am. You don’t need to worry about a single thing. If worst comes to worst just follow the teacher’s manual. Oh, and you can stay here for the time being.” He said with a smile then slipped on his shoes and went out the front door. I stood planted in front of the door in a confused state.

 

“Wha-” I hurriedly opened the door to ask him what subject he teaches but he was long gone. “Aish! This idiot”! I exclaimed as I kicked the concrete wall in frustration only to regret it as soon as I felt pain shoot through my foot.

 

End of Flashback

 

“…-iu…Mr. Liu?” the girl waved her hand in front of me.

 

“uh…what?” I said snapping out of my flashback.

 

“I said shouldn’t we be heading to class now?” The girl chuckled after looking at me. Do I have something on my face?

 

“Uhm, yes. Sorry about-”

 

“Yah! There you are, Liu! What are you doing here? You’re homeroom started 15 minutes ago!” a woman shouted from the other end of the hall. She stormed her way towards us. Is she a teacher? What if she figures out that I’m not Donghae? Oh , what am I going to do?!?

 

“Sorry!!” I bowed deeply so that she wouldn’t get a clear view of my face when she stood in front of us.

 

“I’m sorry Ms. Song, Mr. Liu was just explaining to me about the homework the other day. We were just about to go to the classroom when you showed up.” The girl quickly said. I looked up at her mouthing a thank you. She smiled and gave a subtle nod. She’s cute when she smiles. Her smile made me smile too.

 

“I understand. However, Bae Suzy there is a time and place for such things. Please wait until after class to ask Mr. Liu here any questions you may have. Now hurry you two before you’re any later than you already are.” Ms. Song said before excusing herself. I was just about to turn to the girl and thank her when Ms. Song added “And here Liu, your class list. I picked it up for you. Now go.”

 

After Ms. Song left I apologized to the girl whom I now know the name of.

 

“Mr. Liu, do you have a cold today? Ever since I ran into you, you’ve been apologizing none stop.” Suzy giggled. I swallowed hard; I hope she hasn’t found out yet.

 

“L-let’s go before we’re even more late.” I said, my heart pounding from the anxiety. I was so on edge that I didn’t even notice I took her hand, dragging her behind me in the way which I believe the classroom was located.

 

“I don’t mind going to class but shouldn’t we be heading the other way?” she asked and smiled.

 

I laughed nervously and said “Of course, I was just testing you.” Suzy lead the way and I followed behind, our hands still attached together. Since when was I holding her hand?