Chapter 11

The Switch

My heart stopped when she said “I’m sorry” but picked up once again when she continued “if I’m the reason we lose.” I smiled brightly.

 

“So is that a yes? You’ll be on my team?!?” I wanted to make sure of what I heard.

 

“Yes, I’ll be on your team.” Hearing this I exclaimed happily before unconsciously taking her hand in mine and heading towards the door. Now all we need is to find another person to fit the requirement of a team. As we were walking in the hallway which was now pretty empty since the students all found their teams already, I came to a realization that I was holding her hand. Ba-thump ba-thump. I don’t know if I should let go or hold on. I don’t want to release her hand but what if she’s uncomfortable. Thinking that the latter option was the better one I let go of her. As soon as I did I already missed her warmth.

 

“Mr. Liu? Ms. Jung?” I heard someone say. Turning around I saw Suzy.

 

“Suzy? Why are you still here? Where’s your team?” I asked.

 

“Sorry, I woke up late today. I just got here.” she said.

 

“In that case, would you like to join our team? We need one more person to fit the team requirement.” I asked her with a smile. Krystal pushed me aside before adding something of her own.

 

“Yes, please join our team. I don’t want to be alone with Mr. Liu here.” Krystal stated coldly. My smile faded when I heard her say that. I thought we had gotten closer over the past few days but I guess that was all in my head. Hiding my pain with a fake a smile I asked Suzy to join us again.

 

“Sure, if you two insists and don’t mind having me. I’ll meet you out on the field in a bit.” Suzy said before leaving to go change into proper attire.

 

Krystal and I headed towards the field in an awkward silence. I was so high up there just before and now I’m way down low. Being with her is like being on a roller coaster. Krystal must have been in really deep thoughts because she wasn’t paying attention to where she was going causing her to bump into someone. The impact made her fall backward. Seeing this I reached out to grab hold of her but I was a millisecond late. Someone had already grabbed onto her.

 

“T-Thank you.” She said after that person let go. I turned her around swiftly to check if she’s okay. I released a sigh when she had no injury or scratches. I turned to thank the person that helped her but stopped when I saw that it was the delinquent’s leader. I pulled Krystal closer to me. For some reason I don’t like this guy being around her.

 

“You should really watch where you’re going miss. You could have injured yourself if I hadn’t caught you in time. By the way, the name is Kai. What yours?” he said with a smile reaching out his hand for a shake. If I didn’t like the guy before, I hate him now.

 

“Call me Ms. Jung.” Krystal shook his hand and introduces herself to him. This ticked me off, big time.

 

“Ahem!! Let’s get going Krystal.” I faked a cough to get their attention before taking hold of her hand, the one that was holding onto Kai’s. Call me childish, I don’t care. We had walked a few steps when Krystal called out to him.

 

“If you don’t have a team you can join with us.” TUWH M2XNKHSNI/Q!!!!!!!! I shouted out and ruffled my hair… in my mind. Why did you have to invite him to join us?!?!

 

“Sorry, we already have enough people on our team.” I stated coldly before he can answer her. Krystal was about to retort back but I stopped her.

 

“It’s okay, I already have a team.” he said as he looked at Krystal. “I guess I’ll be seeing you out on the field Mr. Liu.” he said with a smirk before walking off. I hate this guy, I hate this guy, I hate this guy!! I stopped shouting that I hate him in my head when Krystal pinched my side.

 

“Yah! Why did you pinch me?” I snapped at her. Krystal didn’t say anything and just walked away. “Hey! Wait for me.” I jogged up behind her.

 

Krystal’s POV

 

When Donghae asked me to be on his team I was quite happy even though I didn’t show it. I struggled not to laugh when he exclaimed out excitedly after I agreed to be on his team. He grabbed my hand and I was reminded of that time under the tree. Ba-thump ba-thump. I blushed. It was a good thing he didn’t turn around otherwise he would have seen my reddened face. We were walking in the hallway trying to search for the third member; he was still holding my hand. However, when he saw Bae Suzy he let go of it which pained me a little. I became more annoyed when he asked her to join the team too. It’s not that I don’t like Bae Suzy, I just don’t want to be on the same team as her. I pushed Donghae to the side before saying “Yes, please join our team. I don’t want to be alone with Mr. Liu here.”

 

After she agreed Donghae and I walked out to the field. I must have not been paying attention since I bumped into someone causing me to fall. As I was falling I felt a hand grab hold of me. This reminded me of the time Donghae bumped into me in the hallways the other week. Thinking that it was Donghae who helped me again I stuttered a thank you only to quickly realize that it wasn’t him when he turned me around with a worried expression. I followed his gaze to the person that helped me to find a tall boy.

 

“You should really watch where you’re going miss. You could have injured yourself if I hadn’t caught you in time. By the way, the name is Kai. What yours?” he said with a smile reaching out his hand for me to shake.

 

“Call me Ms. Jung.” I shook his hand and introduced myself to be polite. From the side I can tell that Donghae did not like the boy because he was scowling.

 

“Ahem!! Let’s get going Krystal.” Donghae faked a cough before grabbing the hand that is still shaking Kai’s. I smiled on the inside thinking that Donghae might be jealous. I decided to a little by asking the boy to join our team. Donghae's facial expression contorted and he quickly told the boy that we already have enough people in a cold tone. I tried to hide my smile by pinching him hard on the side. This distracted him just enough for me to put on a poker face before walking away.

 

Amber’s POV

 

“Every game or sport that your team participates in will award you points. This being said the more games you play and the better your team ranks in that game the more points your team can get. Remember, you can only play a game once so put in your best effort on the first try. At the end of the day the winning team with the most points accumulated will get a prize. With no further ado, let the games begin!” the head master said. Everyone dispersed out into different directions of the school.

 

“So which one do you think we should do first?” I asked the two while looking at the list of games offered.

 

“I don’t mind. You can pick Mr. Liu.” Suzy said. I looked over to Krystal. Krystal shrugged.

 

“In that case, I think we should go for the games that we’re best at. What do you ladies think?” I asked.

 

“Lead the way.” Krystal said sounding quite annoyed. What’s wrong with her? Did I do something wrong?

 

We headed to the game I’m most confident of. Basketball. When we got to the court there were already other teams competing against one another. Since a team’s minimum is 3 most games require only 3 members of the team to participate. We stayed by the sidelines and watched what exactly it is we’ll be doing. It’s a simple game. Ever heard of the game ‘Around the World’? Four teams will compete to see which team goes around the world first. The first player will start off going around the world. When the first player misses their shot their turn is over and the second player starts off where the first player ended after the other teams send out their first player. And when the second player misses the third and final player starts off where the second player ended. Once all three players are out and they have not made it around the world they will be awarded points accordingly to place they ended at.

 

We were by the track field heading towards the high jump after being awarded the highest points at the basketball court.

 

“You were great Mr. Liu!” Suzy shouted excitedly. After the two had missed their shots at the starting point I started to worry that we wouldn’t do so well. “I can’t believe you single handedly went around the world!!” she beamed a smile while looking at the scoring book. On it was a ‘50 pts-1st place’ stamped in yellow ink. I ruffled her hair seeing how happy she is. Just then the announcement came on.

 

“Testing, testing. There will be a special event at the track field. The highest points awarded will be 400. Only the first 20 teams that come may participate. All members of the team must be present to be counted.”

 

I didn’t have to ask the two when they dashed off without me. I chuckled seeing how competitive they were.

 

“Get your over here now, Liu!” Krystal demanded. She’s still such a princess, so demanding.

 

“Yes, princess!” I jogged after them.