Chapter 5

The Switch

I stood by the sidelines as I watched the girls play basketball for gym class. This better work, Heecul. The plan was for me to have a concussion or in this case a fake concussion which will alter my personality therefore I will have an excuse if I do something not Donghae-like. To do this we will be interrupting the girl’s game. I will step onto the basketball court and as the other team is passing the ball back and forth I will pretend to trip and intercept the ball with my face. Sounds painful doesn’t it? I bet it would be painful.

 

As the girls were passing the ball back and forth coming down the court at full speed I figured this would be what you call perfect timing. I took a deep breath and stepped onto the court. The girls were so immersed in the game that they hadn’t notice my presence. Just as I was about to intercept the pass I noticed that one of the girls’ shoe lace was undone. And like expected she stepped on it and began falling forward. Seeing this I just couldn’t have done nothing so with my fast reflexes I caught her in the nick of time. Her face was two inches from kissing the floor. Having felt my presence the girls stopped and turned to see what’s going on to only see me in an awkward position with the girl.

 

“Kyaaa!!” they screamed excitedly.

 

I had joined Heechul in the hallways after class ended. “I heard bro. Great job creating a frenzy at the basketball court.” Heechul exclaimed happily as he slapped my back. “You’re a knight in shining armor now.” He laughed.

 

I released a sigh. “Please don’t remind me. I didn’t get to execute our plan.” I said massaging the bridge of my nose. The girls were squealing too loud making my ears hurt. Why is it so hard to get hit in the head?

 

“Don’t worry, I have another plan. Wait for me here.” he said before leaving in a hurry. As he left the girls started to surround me asking me questions at all once.

 

“Is it true you…” I don’t know what she said. I zoned out and wasn’t paying attention to the girls. I was impatiently waiting for Heechul but he’s sure taking his sweet time. My eyes caught sight of someone familiar. Her cold sharp eyes stood out from the rest of the people. I smiled unconsciously when I know she was watching me. My gaze broke off from hers when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned my head to see that it was Heechul.

 

“You ready to go?” Heechul asked. I turned back towards Krystal’s direction but she was gone.

 

“Yeah, ready when you are.” And I followed Heechul out.

 

“You understand? Just follow the plan. Nothing can go wrong.” Heechul assured.

 

“Are you sure you’re not trying to get me killed?” he laughed at my statement.

 

“Half dead, maybe, but killed? Nah, I wouldn’t do that do my friend.” He chuckled.

The plan was for me to go into the boys building and get beat up by ‘delinquents’. He offered some boys one of his video games to act as delinquents and make it seem like I got a good beating from them in which I will get a concussion thus leading to a new and different Donghae. It’s simple, so simple that nothing could go wrong at least according to him. I jumped the fence that divided the two buildings. I had asked Heechul about it earlier what the girls meant when they said the boys were in one building and the girls were in another building. Heechul told me the head master didn’t want the groups to be distracted by the opposite in their studies so the head master had another building built to segregate the two es. You find it weird too don’t you?

 

I landed nicely on the ground, stood up and dusted the dirt off my khakis. “Just go straight ahead through into a clearing and then make a turn, you will see a group of boys.” Heechul informed. He won’t be following me since he said he can’t climb the fence. Following his directions I went straight into a thick covering of trees and shrubs. When I made it to the clearing I stopped to think. Heechul forgot to tell me which turn. Left or right? I was about to shout to Heechul for an answer but stopped when I caught sight of some boys around the corner on the right. “He must be talking about those boys.” I muttered. I made my way towards them but stopped when I saw they were punching another boy. “Heechul didn’t mention to me about this part.” It looks so real, those punches, those kicks, those bruises-! This is real!

 

“Yah! What are you doing?” I said grabbing their attention.

 

“Who are you?” one of the boys said.

 

“Don’t try to be a hero ahjussi.”

 

“Just walk away and we won’t hurt you.”

 

“Hand me the boy and I’ll walk away. I don’t want any problems.” I said walking closer to the injured boy. A boy, I’m assuming is the leader, stepped between me and the injured boy cracking his knuckles. I noticed that the rest of the boys had already circled around me. Well, isn’t this just peachy? What a great first day.

 

I blocked their hits one after the other, because I can only defend. All of a sudden I heard a groaning sound coming from the injured boy. I turned around to check on him but felt pain on my side as soon as I did. One of the boys has thrown a lucky punch. While slightly unstable another punch came ramming into the side of my face. God! I’m so going to kill these guys when we’re off of school grounds.

 

“YAH!” a loud shout stopped the fight. The boys started scattering away. “Stay where you are!” a big man passed by waving a bamboo stick. He tried chasing after them but they ran in different directions so he came back towards us to help.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked me.

 

“Yes, I’m fine. I think you should look at the boy over there.” I said pointing to the injured boy. I helped the man bring the boy over to the infirmary where I quickly excused myself after the boy was taken care of.

 

“What took so long?” Heechul asked angrily when I jumped over the fence. After seeing my broken lip and blood on my white shirt he panicked.  “What happened? I thought it was supposed to be acting.”

 

“I ran into real delinquents.” I answered shortly loosening my tie so I can the top button of my shirt. “Aigoo, it’s dirtied. I just bought it too.” I said sadly looking at the blood splattered on the white collar.

 

“That’s what you’re worried about? You’re shirt? Not the fact that you’re bleeding or that you got punched??” he exclaimed. I shrugged. He was helping me to the infirmary when we were stopped by a yell. A smile appeared on my face when I knew who that voice belongs to.

 

“Yah! Liu, you ditched your class to hang out here? Even if you’re just sitting in there doing nothi-” she stopped yelling when I turned to face her and she saw me. I wonder if she’s worried to see me all bruised up? “Wha-” she was about to ask something when Heechul cut her off.

 

“Great! You’re just in time. Could you take care of this idiot here, I have a small meeting I need to get to right now. Thanks.” Without waiting for her to answer he left. I waved Heechul off then turned to face Krystal.

 

Krystal’s POV

 

I can’t believe that ert did something like that at the basketball court today. He is a teacher for god sake! Not only that, he ditched his own class. Just because he isn’t teaching doesn’t mean he can not show up! Argh! When I see him he’ll get an earful from me for sure. I was walking towards the comfort room when I saw Mr. Kim supporting him. He’s been playing around with his friend while I worked my off in class?? AISH!

 

“Yah! Liu, you ditched your class to hang out here? Even if you’re just sitting in there doing nothi-” I yelled but stopped when I noticed the bloodied shirt and his broken lips when he turned to face me. “Wha-” I wanted to ask what happened but was cut off by Mr. Kim.

 

“Great! You’re just in time. Could you take care of this idiot here, I have a small meeting I need to get to right now. Thanks.” He ran off leaving the ert for me to handle when I didn’t even give my okay yet. I really don’t want to be alone with this ert, who knows what he might pull. Liu waved him off then turned to me. It looks painful. Letting out a sigh I dragged him towards the infirmary. I planned on just dropping him off and letting the nurse take care of him but when we got there the nurse was nowhere in sight. Now I’m stuck cleaning his wounds for him. I was about to dab his lips with a wetted cotton swab when he suddenly grabbed my hand. This ert! He dares try something with me even when I’m helping him against my will?? I’ll show you! As I was about to slap him with my free hand I stopped when he took the cotton swab from my hand and said something shocking.