Chapter 12

The Switch

After the rule of the special event was explained we were given 20 minutes to talk amongst our members. Like in the other games only 3 members can participate. Since this will be a huge game where the whole school ground will be the arena, the three of us huddled together to discuss the plan.

 

“I think instead of scattering about we should stick together. This way we’ll have each other’s backs.” I stated. The two nodded in agreement. “Now the only problem that remains is who we should pick to be king amongst the three of us.”

 

“I’m pretty confident in my running skills.” Suzy said.

 

“I am too.” Krystal stated.

 

“In that case you two can rock, paper, scissors who gets to be king.”

 

The horn sounded indicating that the special event has started. Like we had discussed the three of us stuck together. We went to hide inside the teacher’s lounge where we thought would be the safest. Well it was safe for the first ten minutes or so until we heard sneakers squeaking outside the hallway.

 

“Found him! Get him!” someone shouted.

 

“”Hold him still!”

 

“Hurry, rip off her nametag!”

 

“Run!”

 

“Go after them!”

 

The squeaking subsided. I don’t know about Krystal and Suzy’s heart but mine was beating fast. I seriously thought that if my heart doesn’t calm down the people outside might be able to hear it. Yes, you’ve guessed it. We’re having a rendition of Running Man’s very own nametag ripping. I’ve seen the show a few times but never have I thought I’ll actually get to participate in one. It’s a lot scarier than they make it seem on television.

 

“S-should we leave this place? It doesn’t seem to be safe anymore.” I said looking to Krystal and Suzy.

 

“Y-yeah” Krystal said and Suzy nodded her head.

 

We quietly crawled to the door of the lounge after waiting a good ten minutes. Before going out we peered outside just to make sure no one was around. While walking in the hallways we heard some shouting.

 

“Yah! Why did you let her go?”

 

“She bit me! What was I supposed to do?”

 

“Well don’t just stand there, go after her!”

 

I heard them running our way. ! I panicked. I ran to a door so we can hide in the room but the door was locked. Perfect, this is just perfect! I kept wobbling the handle, hoping that a miracle will happen and the door will magically unlock itself but froze when I heard them shout.

 

“Hey there are some people here! Hurry!”

 

Not waiting for them to gather I took Krystal and Suzy’s hand in mine before darting back the way we came from, not long passing the teacher’s lounge. I kept running. I wish I had better shoes on that way I can run at full speed. I stopped after taking a turn around the corner and hiding behind a glass show case to let the two catch their breath.

 

“Are you two okay?” I said slightly panting while crouching low.

 

“Y-yeah, j-just tired.” Suzy said while panting heavily.

 

When Krystal caught her breath she shouted “Yah” but then whispered when I motioned for her to be quiet. “You didn’t have to drag me. I could have run on my own!”

 

“Sorry, I panicked.” Why couldn’t she just be grateful that I acted fast enough to get us out of there? She was about to say something when we heard our pursers coming closer. I put my arms around them and nudged them to crouch lower.

 

“*Panting heavily* d-did you see *panting heavily* where they went?” a boy asked.

 

“*panting equally heavy* n-no, but damn that teacher is fast.” Another one said.

 

“T-that was Mr. Liu.” I recognized that voice. “He’s my homeroom teacher.” I knew I heard that voice before. So she’s in my homeroom.

 

“Someone stay and search around this area. We’ll go look in another area. Just shout if you see them.” The boy said before leaving.

 

“We should rip off her nametag before those three get together again.” Krystal said. Suzy nodded her head. I didn’t want to rip off one of my student’s nametag so I told them I’ll be nearby to watch over. Suzy and Krystal slowly crept into the direction where my student went. It was quiet, too quiet, until I heard the both of them shouting happily. Curious as to what happened to cause the two to shout I quickly made my way towards them. When they saw me they came running towards me engulfing me in a tight hug.

 

“What happened?” I asked after they let go since I still have no clue as to what happened.

 

“We got their King!!!” Krystal and Suzy shouted in my ear. My eyes opened wider and a smile formed when I saw these two jumping in joy. They’re just like kids.

 

“Awww! Mr. Liu, Ms. Jung, Suzy why did you have to rip my nametag?” The girl said sadly.

 

“What’s happened?!?” the two boys came running towards us. They must have heard the screaming. The girl showed them her ripped nametag and the boys’ shoulders slumped over. Seeing this I felt guilty even though I didn’t do anything.

 

“You guys were great! You had us running for our lives. I have never seen Ms. Jung run that fast before.” I said with a laugh. I hoped this little encouragement and joke will make them smile. It worked. The three laughed out loud when Krystal punched me in the arm. Even though I received a hit from Krystal and it hurt like hell it was well worth it seeing them happy again.

 

After telling us that they will beat us and be the winner at the end of the day we bid our goodbyes. Running out of the school we came to a halt when the announcement came on.

 

“Attention all players participating in the special event, there are three teams remaining. Please head towards the track field. I repeat the three remaining teams must head towards the track field.”

 

“I wonder what they’re going to have us do now.” I said.

 

“I don’t know, let’s just head there.”

 

From a distance we saw that there was a ring of some sort on the field and quite a bit of spectators. I wonder what the ring is for.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Credit goes towards Running Man for their nametag ripping game. Love watching Running Man