Chapter 27

The Switch

Amber walked up onto the stage and sat down in front of the piano. Everyone became quiet. Sweet sounds started emanating from the piano as her hand glides over the keys.

 

Here I am, standing close to you and it’s still so far away

So many times I tried to say but my heart was afraid

Look at you is all that I can do. Like a silly girl I stare

Cause you might leave me when I ever feel what my heart is really feeling

 

Ba-thump. Ba-thump.

 

Amber was sitting under the spot light singing her heart out. Why does seeing you like this make me so sad? Who are you singing that song to?


If I could just say the words, all the secrets in my heart and in my soul you’ll hear will you take me in your arms or let me go. On

lovely days will they just fade like whispers in the wind.

if I could just say the words, all the secrets in my heart and in my soul you’ll hear can’t you see the love I hide slip through my eyes

This silly girl’s so scared she just can’t say "I love you"

Here I am, holding on to fate. What we have may never change

Cause you might leave me when I ever feel my lips will seal the love I’m hiding

 

If I could just say the words, all the secrets in my heart and in my soul you’ll hear will you take me in your arms or let me go. On

lovely days will they just fade like whispers in the wind

If I could just say the words, all the secrets in my heart and in my soul you’ll hear can’t you see the love I hide slip through my eyes

This silly girl’s so scared she just can’t say "I love you"

If I could just say the words, all the secrets in my heart and in my soul you’ll hear can’t you see the love I hide slip through my eyes

This silly girl’s so scared she just can’t say "I love you"

 

I didn’t know that tears were rolling down my face until Donghae reached over and wiped it away with his thumb. He gently smiled at me before taking my hand in his and kissing it.

 

“I love you, babe.” He said softly. I just sobbed in his embrace. I glanced over at Amber who was watching us. She wiped a tear away before smiling gently then turning away.

 

Everyone clapped when she rejoined the group.

 

“I didn’t know that you were that talented!” Sunny unnie exclaimed. Amber just smiled sweetly to her.

 

“Am, why don’t you play at our wedding. I’m sure Krystal would love to hear it.” Donghae asked. She looked hesitant but after much pleading from Donghae she gave in. “Thanks, baby sis.” Donghae ruffled her hair. She looked at me, sadness in her eyes, before turning away to talk with the rest of the group. Why do you look so sad, Am?

 

“Amber, do you love anyone? That song that you played wasn’t just a song; it was your real emotions.” Jessie unnie asked. Everyone nodded in agreement to Jessie unnie’s remark. Amber nodded her head.

 

“I do love someone, very much but I can’t be with her.” Amber said dejectedly while looking at her hands.

 

“Why?” Tiffany unnie asked.

 

“She’s getting married to someone else.” Amber said. Tiffany unnie and Sunny unnie went to comfort her.

 

“She’s really stupid to not see that you love her this much.” Sunny unnie said then gave her a tight hug. She smiled.

 

“It’s okay because I know that she’ll be happy. If she’s happy I will be happy just watching her from a distance.” Amber said. This made the unnies aww.

 

“You’re too sweet Amber. If I wasn’t already dating someone I would definitely go out with you.” Tiffany unnie said kissing Amber on the cheek. Hearing this left a bitter feeling. Why?

 

Everyone was drunk by the time it was closing time. I wasn’t able to talk to Donghae at all. Amber was lying on the couch, passed out. She drank so much, like it was the only way to ease the pain in her heart.

 

“I’ll just take them all home first okay baby? Why don’t you stay here with Amber? I’ll come back to drop the two of you off.” Donghae said and kissed me on the cheeks. I nodded my head. I don’t want my unnies to be driving when they’re drunk. After Donghae left it was just Amber and I in the room. I was just staring at Amber’s sleeping face when I saw a tear roll down her cheek. What’s hurting you so much, Am? I walked over to wipe her tears away when I heard her mumble something. Couldn’t hear too well I leaned in closer.

 

“Princess.” Another tear rolled down her cheek.

 

I gasped. Only Donghae calls me princess. No, that’s not right. Donghae doesn’t call me princess. He calls me babe. The Donghae that I’m in love with calls me princess. Does this mean…my eyes widen. I was right. It was and always had been Amber. Tears started rolling down my cheeks. Why didn’t you tell me, Am? Why?!? How could I have been so stupid not to realize it sooner?? The butterflies, the tingling sensation, the warmth, everything had always pointed to you yet I-I started sobbing. This woke Amber up.

 

“W-what’s wrong, Krystal?? Why are you crying?? Where’s Donghae?” She asked in a panic. I’m so stupid. I didn’t even know that you had always been the one. Not Donghae but you. “D-don’t cry. Please, Krys. Let me call Donghae.” hearing this I quickly held her hand not to dial Donghae. She put down the phone and pulled me into a tight hug. “Tell me what’s wrong, Krystal.” I kept sobbing in her embrace.

 

“Why??” was all I could say.

 

“Why, what?” she tilted her head in confusion.

 

“Why, why didn’t you tell me?” she still looked confuse. “Why didn’t you tell me that it was you all along!!” I shouted. “Why didn’t you say anything? Tell me!!” I pounded on her chest.

 

“I’m sorry, princess.” Finally hearing her call me that again I cried harder. She hugged me tightly. “I’m sorry.” She kept repeating. “I’m sorry.”

 

“I love you, stupid.” I cried. I felt her pull away from me. My heart stopped. I looked up at her. She quickly stood up and shook her head.

 

“No, no, no. You don’t love me. You love hyung, not me. You’re just drunk right now.” She said, walking away creating a distance between us. I got up and approached her.

 

“No, I’m not drunk. I never loved Donghae. I’ve always loved you. You and you alone.” I tried to tell her. Amber kept shaking her head.

 

“No. You love hyung.” I put my hand on her arm.

 

“I love you, Amber.” I said looking into her eyes. I thought I saw her eyes full of love but then she brushed my hand off.

 

“I don’t love you, Krys. I never had and never will.” She stated in a cold tone. My heart broke. I tried to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

 

“..ying. You’re lying! I know you’re lying.” I retorted. 

 

“I-I’m not lying. I don’t love you, Krystal.” She said, walking towards the door to leave. I held onto the hem of her shirt, stopping her.

 

“Don’t lie to me. Please, Am.” I said softly. She slowly turned around. We stood face to face.

 

Amber’s POV

 

My heart was beating so fast. My princess just confessed that she loves me too but I can’t. I can’t take away hyung’s happiness. His wedding is in just a few days. I don’t want to steal his fiancé again, even if the first time was a fake.

 

“I don’t love you, Krys. I never had and never will.” I lied. I can see the hurt in her eyes, my heart broke. I tried to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

 

“..ying. You’re lying! I know you’re lying.” She retorted. I am, princess. I am.

 

“I-I’m not lying. I don’t love you, Krystal.” I stuttered before walking towards the door to leave. Right before I exited the room she stopped me by holding onto the hem of my shirt. Please, princess. Just let me go and be happy with hyung.

 

“Don’t lie to me. Please, Am.” I heard her say softly. I love you so much, if only you knew. I slowly turned towards her.

 

I raised my hand and showed her the small hand gesture. I let my thumb and index touch before saying, “This is how much I love you.” Her tears fell down her cheeks. My heart broke again. I wanted to wipe them away but I stopped my urges. She pushed me aside and ran down the hall. After she disappeared from my sight I leaned against the wall for support and held onto my aching chest. I slowly slid down the wall and sat on the ground. Raising my hand with the small gesture I laughed. My love for her isn’t nonexistence like you all think. My love for her is as large as the distance from my thumb nail to my index nail, the distance it takes for it to go around the world back to my other finger. If only she knew.

 

Krystal’s POV

 

“This is how much I love you.” She said raising her hand to show me how much she loved me. Her two fingers touching. Nonexistent. I couldn’t hold back the tears and as they streamed down my face. I pushed Amber aside, running away. It hurts too much. My heart hurts too much. I had to get out of there before my heart completely stops beating.

 

As I was turning the corner I bumped into someone. I quickly bowed to apologize but that person pulled me into a hug.

 

“Why is my baby crying?” it was Donghae. I hugged him tighter, crying on his chest.

 

“I-it’s nothing. I just really missed you.” I lied.

 

“I missed you too, babe.” He said before pulling away from me. He wiped away my tears and smiled. Why didn’t I fall in love with him? If I had maybe I wouldn’t be hurting this much. I threw my arms around him, engulfing him into a hug.

 

“By the way, where is Amber?” Donghae asked. Just then Amber came around the corner with a smile like nothing happened.

 

“I’m here, hyung. You left your fiancé for so long she thought you weren’t coming back. I didn’t know how to make her stop crying.” She said with a chuckle. You really know how to lie and pretend, Amber. I can’t believe I even fell for you.

 

The car ride was silent. Amber and I weren’t looking at one another. When we got to my place I hurriedly got out when Donghae came and open my door. He bid his good night and turned to leave but I held him back. I turned him to face me and I kissed him. We made out in front of Amber for a good 5 minutes. When I pulled out of the kiss I saw the hurt in her eyes. I wanted to hurt her but now that I had hurt her I wish I hadn’t. Seeing those sad eyes it broke my heart even more.

 

“Am-” I started but was cut off.

 

“Hurry, hyung! You will get plenty of time to kiss your wife later!!” she shouted out the window. The word ‘wife’ stabbed me in the heart.

 

“Geez why did you have to ruin the moment, Am!” Donghae shouted back. “Have a good night…wife” he said with a wink before dashing to the driver’s side and driving off. Just like my world, I crumbled down onto the pavement. I cried my heart out, no, I don’t even have a heart anymore. Amber had ripped it out the moment she said she didn’t love me.