Chapter 3

The Switch

“Well, what are you waiting for Mr. Liu? Why aren’t you going in?” Suzy asked when we got to the door of the classroom. I swallowed hard, my heart prancing around rapidly, scared that I would blow my cover. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door a little harder than I intended causing a loud thud. This drew everyone’s attention. “Oh ” I muttered quietly to myself. Everyone’s eyes were on me. It was so quiet that the only thing I heard was my own heartbeat. Clearing my throat a few times I greeted the class while still at the door.

 

“M-morning everyone.” I stuttered nervously still at the door with a fake smile on my face to seem as friendly as possible. Silence. They all seemed shocked since they had their eyes widen and mouth dropped. It was all so nerve wrecking. This silence was just making my heart beat faster; I seriously thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest and run away screaming. After a few more seconds a cute voice was heard.

 

“m-morning to you too Mr. Liu.” She said hesitantly. The first voice I heard during this awkward meeting made me smile genuinely. Like a domino effect the other students started greeting back.

 

“Question Mr. Liu.” one student said.

 

“Yes? What is it?” I asked.

 

“Why did you come in with Suzy? And why are you two holding hands?” hearing this I suddenly let go and blushed. I turned to her to only see her redden cheeks. I didn’t know that I had unconsciously grabbed her hand when everyone’s eyes were on me earlier.

 

“I-it’s a misunderstanding.” I desperately tried to convince them, flailing my arms in the air. They sternly looked at me. “I swear!” I added. All of a sudden they burst out laughing. I’m so confuse. Did I miss something here?

 

“We’re just playing with you, teach. Why so serious? Are you guilty of something?” one student said while trying to catch her breath.

 

“Aish! That was mean.” I retorted back.

 

“That’s for being late.” A girl said causing the others to nod.

 

I began taking attendance, seems like all were present. “Why are there no male students in this class?” I asked the class. This was something I noticed when I first entered the school. Shock was apparent on the faces of all students.

 

“Because this side is for girls only. Boys can’t come to this side of the school.” Suzy answered after recovering from her initial shock. Why can't they? I wondered.

 

“Did you hit your head or something, teach?” they asked in concern. Why didn’t hyung tell me?!

 

Laughing nervously I quickly played it off. Seems like they bought it, for the time being.

 

“Hey, teach! I have a question.” A girl said raising her hand.

 

“m-mhm?” I sounded nervously. What are they going to ask me now? Please just stop asking questions. I wanted to cry.

 

“Did you do something to your hair because you look…different?” She questioned unsurely. This made my heart race once again. How many times does my heart have to race today?

 

“Yeah, I have been thinking the same thing. But I just couldn’t put my finger on it.” added another. This made the others speak up too.

 

“You’re also acting weird. You’re not your usual flirty self, teach.”

 

“You didn’t even look my way when you passed me by.” one said sadly. More comments kept spewing out but one particular statement caught my attention though.

 

“You ignored my flying kiss to you earlier.” My eyes widen. What the heck has Donghae been doing with these high school girls? I screamed in my head. If these girls are lambs hyung would be the wolf. Is this his hunting ground?

 

Quickly thinking up an excuse I was about to say something when the bell rung. Saved by the bell, literally. I smiled and waved before leaving the class. Once out the door I released a long sigh. Massaging my forehead I began the quest for the teacher’s lounge once again. Donghae isn’t schedule to teach until later in the day which gives me more than enough time to give my heart a rest from all the racing its been doing since this morning. While focusing on Donghae’s drawn layout of the school trying to figure out where the lounge is I bumped into someone. Here we go again. And just like earlier this person began falling backwards. I grabbed her hand. Ba-thump, ba-thump. Weird. Pulling her towards me my other arm naturally wrapped around her waist. When I was about to let go and apologize I saw those beautiful eyes once again. I didn’t know I was still holding onto her and I don’t know for how long I’ve been gazing into her beautiful eyes but then she shouted “Yah! Let go of me you ert!” and slapped me. Hard.

 

It snapped me out of my trance and I quickly let go of her to cup my cheek. “What is wrong with you?!?” I exclaimed angrily to the student. I felt bad for screaming at a student but come on; she slapped me for crying out loud.

 

“Stop trying to feel me up you ert!” she shouted at me.

 

“What are you talk-I was trying to prevent you from falling!!” I shouted back.

 

“Don’t lie! You purposely bumped into me just so you can feel me up!” she retorted.

 

“No! Of course not, I would never do that. It’s a misunderstanding.” I defended myself.

 

“Aha, how many times are you going to use that excuse, Donghae?” She scoffed, shooting me an icy glare.

 

“Wha-” the way this student addressed me surprised me.

 

“Save it. Just get away from me, ert!” She shouted before walking off.

 

Krystal’s POV

 

I am walking to the teacher’s lounge to look for unnie when some stupid person bumped into me. I began falling so I closed my eyes readying myself for the pain but it never came. I felt a grip on my arm, a strong pull, followed by an arm wrapping around my waist. I calmed my heart when I knew I was safe. I realized that the person still had their arm around me and that we were very close to one another. Feeling uncomfortable I lifted my head to shout at this person but the person I saw only made my blood boil more. “Yah.” I said but he didn’t move. Why isn’t he letting go of me? Why is he staring at me like that?

 

“Yah! Let go of me you ert!” I screamed before slapping him. Hard.

 

“What is wrong with you?!?” he exclaimed angrily after he let go of me so he can touch his cheek. How dare you shout at me!

 

“Stop trying to feel me up you ert!” I shouted at him.

 

“What are you talk-I was trying to prevent you from falling!!” he shouted back. Now you dare lie to me?

 

“Don’t lie! You purposely bumped into me just so you can feel me up!” I retorted. This isn’t the first time he tried to make a move on me. As soon as I was assigned to be the teaching assistant for his class he tried every way possible to flirt with me. I know how people like him work. I know all his tricks.

 

“No! Of course not, I would never do that. It’s a misunderstanding.” He tried to defend himself but I won’t believe it.

 

“Aha, how many times are you going to use that excuse, Donghae?” I scoffed, shooting one of my famous ice glares to him.

 

“Wha-” he started but I cut him off.

 

“Save it. Just get away from me, ert!” I shouted before walking off. If I don’t get away soon I won’t be able to hold back anymore and might kill him. If I kill him I’ll lose this internship and I’ll never be able to work with unnie. All my hard work will go down the drain.

 

Amber’s POV

 

I stood there with mouth open. I can’t believe this student just accused me of feeling her up AND called me a ert! I should have just let her fall on her . I watched as she walked off in the distance. Ba-thump. I grabbed onto my chest. What is wrong with me? Why is my heart beating so fast?

 

Having finally found my way to the teacher’s lounge I smiled widely. I feel like I should receive a gold plaque for finding my way here. I walked in and saw Ms. Song correcting test papers and some other teachers conversing.

 

“Donghae, my man! You finally decided to show up, eh?” a man walked up to me, swung his arm around my shoulder and give me a wide grin.

 

“Y-yeah.” I answered nervously to this stranger before brushing his arm off of me. Who’s this guy? What I did probably hurt his feeling since he looked down. His hurt expression makes me feel guilty. I didn’t mean to hurt him I just don’t like strangers clinging to me.

 

“Did I do something wrong?” he said in a sad voice.

 

“N-no. Sorry, I was just playing with you, bro. I didn’t think you’ll get hurt by it.” I smiled to him before swinging my arm over his shoulder. Hearing this he beamed a smile. I gathered information about who’s who, who teaches what, the upcoming events in school, etc from the small conversations we had. This guy is very sensitive from what I collected but I like hanging out with him. Being with him feels like I’m with the guys back at school. I feel like we can become best of friends.

 

“You know, you’re different today Donghae.” He said before taking a bite of his granola bar.

 

 “What do you mean?” I asked while I chewed on the granola bar so he wouldn’t notice my shaky voice.

 

“I don’t know but I feel like you’re easier to get along with now.” He stated before smiling widely. “I actually prefer you like this. Don’t be mad when I say this okay?” I nodded telling him that I won’t be mad for what he’s about to say. “I was afraid to open up to you, I mean really open up to you, because I...adfehkdjh!”he shouted and ruffled his hair. I chuckled at the scene. “I can’t describe it properly.” He looked down.

 

“It’s okay, I think I understand what you mean.” I smiled to him. “Let’s be open to each other from now on. This is the start of a new friendship.”  I reached out my hand and stated my name. Yeah, that’s right. All throughout our conversation I never caught his name so I’m hoping he plays along and introduce himself. He grabbed my hand and smiled, “Heechul, Kim Heechul.”

 

It was time for my class so I told Heechul I’ll meet him later for lunch. I still don’t know what it is exactly that I’ll be teaching. Donghae told me that it’ll be a piece of cake for me but I can’t help but be worried. I pray that it’s chemistry that way I know what I’m talking about. Now in front of the classroom I took one last breath before I open the door. However, before my hand even reached the door handle it flew open. I was now face to face with the rude student from before. Is she in my class?