Chapter 18

The Switch

Krystal’s POV

 

I was in my room staring at the ceiling. I couldn’t fall asleep, Amber was on my mind. Not Donghae but Amber, the girl I just met today. Something is telling me that Amber is the Donghae I fell for. I just have this nagging feeling at the pit of my stomach and I don’t know how to explain it. Did the two switch places?

 

I got up extra early today since I was impatient to talk to Mr. Kim. Mr. Kim must know something. He must! He was the closest one to the Donghae two weeks ago.

 

“Mr. Kim!” I shouted when I saw him in the hallways. He stopped to turn around. I ran up to him, pulling him by the arm and headed towards the rooftop.

 

Donghae’s POV

 

I saw Krystal in the hallways and I wanted to call out to her but then she called out to Heechul. She ran up to him before dragging him somewhere. Curious as to what the two had to talk about that they needed to go somewhere remote I followed them. I can do that can’t I? I’m her boyfriend after all.

 

I was standing behind the door listening onto their conversation. My heart quickened when she asked him about me, no, Amber who pretended to be me. Was she getting suspicious about us? Heechul told her that he doesn’t know either but the look on his face says it all. He knows about our switch. Did Amber tell him? I’ll have to ask her later. I snapped out my thoughts when the two walked towards the door. I quickly ran down the stairs and entered the lounge, pretending that I did not just hear the two’s conversation.

 

After school I called Amber to meet me at my place. She reluctantly agreed.

 

“So, why did you want to meet?” Am asked as we were sitting in the living room.

 

“Am, did you tell anyone about our switch?” I asked, getting to the point will be faster than beating around the bushes.

 

“I did. I told Heechul about it. Well, more like he suspected but yeah he knows.” She said. I nodded my head. I’m not mad at her. I just wanted to know who knows about our situation.

 

“Krystal is starting to question if you and I switched. She’s smart.” I stated.

 

“She really is.” she said. I noticed the faint smile that appeared on her face. Why are you smiling, Am?

 

“Do you like her?” this seemed to surprise her. She choked on her drink.

 

“N-no! Why would I like her?!?” she shouted. I laughed at her reaction.

 

“I don’t know, because it seems like she likes your version of Donghae, not mine.” I said with a pout. “Tell me how I should act, what I should do to make her like me. What did you do to make her like you?” I asked. At first I didn’t love her, I just wanted to call her mine but slowly I started developing feelings towards her. I don’t know how but I did.

 

“I-I don’t know. What do you mean?” she stuttered.

 

“Am, please help hyung here. I want her to be my girlfriend for real. I’ll do anything. How did you act towards her?” I kept begging for her to help. She gave in and told me how to act. Are you sure you don’t like her, Am? How can you act this way without liking her?

 

“Am, are you really sure you don’t like her? If you like her I will st-” I started but was cut off.

 

“Hyung, I don’t like her.” she stated in a serious tone. I sighed knowing there’s no point in asking.

 

“Okay, then I’ll really go for her.” she nodded with a smile.

 

“Good luck, hyung.”

 

Amber’s POV

 

Donghae kept asking if I like Krystal and every time I told him that I don’t. Well, it’s the truth. I don’t like her, I love her. I love her so much that my life is now incomplete without her, even though I barely knew her for a week. But hyung, your happiness means much more to me than my happiness. I don’t want to be the cause of your sadness ever again.

 

Krystal’s POV

 

Although Mr. Kim didn’t say so, I saw it in his eyes. He was definitely lying. He’s covering something up. I need to get to the bottom of it. As I was walking to my apartment I saw Donghae waiting by the front door.

 

“What are you doing here, Donghae?” I asked him. He just smiled a dorky smile, though it didn’t feel quite right.

 

“Just wanted to see you, princess.” He said. My eyes widened and jaws dropped. What did he just call me? I thought…Amber...she…what?? “What’s wrong?” he asked me which made me close my mouth.

 

“N-no, it’s nothing. So do you want to come inside?” I asked as I opened the door to my apartment.

 

“Sure!” he answered with a wide smile. “After you, princess.” He playfully bowed with a gesture signaling me to go on in. I smiled remembering the time he did that to me after sports day. Maybe I was just overthinking. I laughed at my foolish idea of thinking that Amber pretended to be Donghae. I had just missed my Donghae too much and searched for him in his sister.

 

After that night the Donghae that I fell for returned. Donghae was once again sweet, kind, caring, and gentle but still it felt different. It felt off. However, I dismissed it since I felt contented, not exactly happy but just content.