8.

Prince charming

"It's finally done!" Baekhyun exclaims. After an hour spent on doing the homework they can put away the books and enjoy spring evening. Tao decides to open the window wide to let the smell of warm ending of the day fill the room.

"Come, sit next to me" Tao asks patting the spot on now moved so it's facing the window armchair.

"It's too small for both of us!" Baekhyun protests.

"We'll squeeze in somehow" Tao looks at him pleading. "Come unless you want to sit on the floor."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes and squeezes himself next to the taller one. They sit in sclience for a moment, breathing in sweet scent of spring evening.

"When's your musical audition?" Tao breaks the slience.

"On Friday" Baekhyun answers. "But I'm not sure if I'll participate. I'm closer to chickening out" he smiles sheepishly.

Tao eyes him "You absolutely cannot. That would be such a loss for the musical" he tells honestly even if it sounds a bit cheesy.

"Thank you but I really don't feel well prepared" Baekhyun avoids Tao's glance.

"Prepare then. Sing for me" the Chinese says simply.

"What?!" Baekhyun's eyes shot wide. Tao smiles at him.

"Come on! I've already told you I'm a big fan of yours. Do that for me?" Tao tugs at the smaller's one sleeve.

"Stop, you're embarassing me."

"Pretty please?" Tao tries out his aegyo. "Even a small part would be sufficient."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "Okay, just a small part" and he takes in breath focuses closing his eyes and starts singing. His voice shy at first, changes into powerful one after just few notes. Tao's mesmerised but the song is suddenly cut down.

"It's about that..." Baekhyun's back to his shy self again blushing slightly. "How was it?"

"You're awesome Baekhyun!" impressed Tao answers hotly. "But let me hear more. You've stopped so suddenly" he pouts. Baekhyun sighs and starts singing again. He's even more confident now. He feels that Tao really enjoy the mini performance when he sees him focused and eyes twinkling. As the song ends, the room is filled with clapping.

"Too damn awesome, man! I'm not joking!" Baekhyun blushes. "You could even get main role with this kind of voice. No. You should get it."

"Stop the praises, I'm shyyy" the smaller one winces.

"You're adorable. But promise me to try the audition" he reaches out his pinky finger. Baekhyun eyes him. "You even know that pinky swear thing?"

"I've seen it in dramas and have always wanted to try it out" he admits sheepishly. "Come on" he waggles the finger in front of the other's face.

They link their pinkies and Tao scootches even closer looking Baekhyun straight in eyes smiling. The latter feels weird tightness in stomach and blushes but doesn't dare to break the eye contact.

Tao's face expression changes. Baekhyun can't understand the meaning of this.

The Chinese can feel his heart speed up. He looks at the shorter one's face, eyes slowly traveling from the orbs to his eyebrows covered with soft hair of fringe. He continues tracing his features, down the cutely shaped nose to red slightly plush lips, he wonders how would it feel to...

Tao shakes his pinky finger out of Baekhyun's grasp. The latter looks quite disturbed by the situation. He wonders why the other seems also as flushed as he does. Maybe even more...

"Well... so good luck at the audition" Tao blurts out standing up. He approaches the window and stares out of it to let now cool evening air calm him down.

"You must come here before you perform. I'll ask my sister to do your eyeliner" he adds after a while when he feels like himself again.

"What?! No way! I thought you were joking" Baekhyun almost shouts.

"I promise you'll make everybody fall for you" Tao turns to look at him. Now the room is slightly dark as they haven't switched the lights on yet. He reaches to turn the lamp on. This half darkness is too dangerous. "I see you want it."

Baekhyun blushes "What?" he manages.

"You want to try it out. The eyeliner. But you're shy. No excuses."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "Okay, I'll give it a try."


 

The next day bring a lot of anxiety to Sehun. It's the day he has the first science lab. He can't still believe he'd actually agreed to join it. Well, Luhan had him.

"You must be really insane to join the science lab!" Jongdae says bluntly after Sehun tells his friends whole story.

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun sends him glares. "What's the most important, you're going on a trip!" the latter smiles at Sehun giving him support.


 

However, Sehun doesn't feel that confident anymore when he's heading to the lab after lessons. Luhan even hadn't waited for him, he pouts invardly.

"Hunnie!" a joyful voice reaches his ears when he's gathering all of his mental strength to finally enter the lab. He turns around to see Luhan waving at him and running. "Wait for me" he reaches him finally breathing a bit heavily.

"What's that new nickname?"

Luhan looks at him suprised. "Hunnie, you mean? You don't like it? It suits you." he smiles so cutely, Sehun gives up his sanity.

"Come on in, you don't want to be late at the first day, do you?" Luhan pushes the door open not letting the other to prepare mentally for what's coming.

They enter the lab. Teacher nods at them and Luhan brings him to his desk. He gives the other safety clothes and puts a pair of glasses on him.

"You look cute, mr. scientist" he shows out his tounge. Sehun mumbles something in response.

Soon the class starts. It isn't as bad as Sehun thought it would be. With Luhan helping him with particularly everything, he can say it's okay. They even actually do mix some substances together to get something else which Sehun doesn't try to name. After few experiments done, the teacher calls both of the boys to come for a while.

"So I can see you managed to get as a new lab member" he smiles at Luhan. "Good, good. More students mean more money for experiments." And that's when the shorter of boys starts the unending talk about weird scientific things Sehun has never thought about. He keeps himself from yawning so hard but he fails.

"Right, Sehun!" the teacher finally reminds himself. "So I've got plenty things you are to prepare for the trip" the boy gives him really weak smile. "Don't worry, you won't be alone. Luhan will help you, is that fine with you?" Sehun nods. Everything is fine with him as long as Luhan is connected to it. Teacher goes on with explanations and finally they are free.

"Whaa, this project is so fascinating, isn't it?" Luhan asks face radiant.

"Well..." Sehun starts "I don't really get the science so it's good it's only preparing the equipment" he tries to find something good.

"We are going to take part also. I mean you must help me, I'm not doing it alone like a total looser" he sends Sehun glance and gives him no choice. How could he say no to the hyung?


 

Baekhyun comes straight home after school. He has to keep the promise he'd given Tao and do well in the audition so he spends all the afternoon practising. He'd even refused the invitation to watch the wushu training, which he secrerly regrets. Tao was understanding anyways and wished him good luck.

Now, Baekhyun comes back to his room after eating a dinner that actually he'd miss if it wasn't for his mother who reminded him to do so about seven times before. He wants to sing some more because he still finds some parts lacking. Especially one, where his voice cracks and he can rarely reach the high note. It's weird, he could yesterday, with Tao.

He stands by the window and wants to try the line over again when he hears familiar beep. He reaches his phone lying at the desk.

Hi! Did you get home safely? And how's the song? I bet you've mastered it by now. You were awesome yesterday! :-D

Baekhyun chuckles invardly. He replies fastly.

Yes I got home. But the training isn't so good. I . Btw, how was the wushu?

He puts the phone away and starts singing again. It's still lame. The phone buzzes again. He's fast, Baekhyun thinks.

No way! You really really did well last time. What's wrong? Wushu's fine.

I don't know. Maybe I was trying harder because you were here. No idea, rlly.

After thirty seconds new message arrives.

Wait.

Huh? What's going on? Baekhyun's slightly suprised. He approaches the window and looks through it. He closes his eyes and starts singing again. The neighbours must be having fun now, if someone sees him, but never mind. They're just some grannies.

The sound starts comming out of his mouth. It's warm and confident. He goes through almost all song smoothly, then it's finally time for the place he messes up the most. He focuses at the notes but suddenly it is broken. He starts feeling so light, he can feel the music going through his veins. This time he sings perfectly. He finishes up the song and smiles gladly, eyes still closed.

"Bravo!" the sound of clapping reaches his ears. He opens his eyes rapidly and looks down. "You really should win that audition thing!" it's Tao standing under his window.

"How did you...?" Baekhyun manages shocked.

"Come down, I don't like shouting!" the other smiles cheesy at him. After a moment of shock Baekhyun runs down the stairs and leaves the house not even putting some more appropriate shoes than his pink bunny slippers. Childish. But he loves them. His parents are quite suprised by the run.

"How did you get here? And why?" Baekhyun asks directly when he sees Tao.

The Chinese eyes his slippers and laughs. "Well, I come on foot? And you told me you couldn't get it right without me so I came" he answers matter-of-factly.

Baekhyun's slightly astonished. "I never said this."

"Oh, Baekhyun, never mind what you've told and what you haven't. Did I help?" he winks.

Baekhyun opens his mouth but no sound comes out. Well, Tao's kind of right. He did well when he came, didn't he?

Tao approaches him. "Close that pretty mouth of yours unless you want some fly to enter it" Baekhyun closes it immediately blushing. "Want me to be with you when you're practising?"

Baekhyun just nodds in response. He reaches to grab the taller's wrist and brings him to his room doing beeline through the garden, then house, igroring his parents. Amused Tao just bows at them when they smile knowingly at him.

"Will you come to the audition with me? I really can't song without you" Baekhyun says, totally serious. Tao chuckles. He looks the other straight in the eyes.

"Of course I will, I was planning to anyways but" he smiles warmly. "It's your skill that you're singing well, I have nothing to do with me."

"But-"

"No buts, Baek. You just don't believe in yourself. That's the problem" Tao states. "Try singing more now, okay?"

"O-okay, I guess" and he starts, voice shaking a bit. He's so flushed now. He gives up after a few lines.

Tao looks straight at him. He can feel his eyes almost digging holes through his brown eyes. "Calm down. I'm your biggest fan, remember?"

Baekhyun starts over. Weirdly, Tao's words really calms him down, he can't make out why. Now his voice is perfect. No single mistake done. Even at the part. He beams at Tao when he finishes. The other approaches him and takes him in his arms wordlessly.

He feels weird sensation in his ribcage. After a while he gets the situation and hugs Tao back.

"Believe in yourself, Baekhyun" the taller pats his head gently, brushing his hair with fingers.

"Okay" the shorter murmurs. He gives him a bit more time to lean in warm body. He feels weird sensations getting more violent. He moves back frightened. He tries to hide it by smile. Tao finds it slightly suspicious.

"Will you be good now?" Baekhyun nodds. "I think I should leave now. Try alone and you'll get it right now for sure" the Chinese smiles.

"You think so?" he asks unsure.

"100% sure. Text me how it goes, okay?" Tao reaches to Baekhyun's shoulder and squeezes it for a moment, the affectionate gesture sends shivers down the Korean's spine. He nods.

"Bye" Tao beams at him and heads to the door.

"Tao" said boy turns around. "But you'll come?" he chuckles.

"Yes, I will" he smiles again and he leaves.

Baekhyun stands in place for a bit. He hears Tao saying goodbye to his parents and leaving. He closes his eyes and takes in a deep breath. He starts singing. It's perfect but he still has the difficult part ahead. He reminds himself Tao's face and sings.

"Assa!" he shouts out as he finishes. He feels hopeful about the audition but tries few more times to make sure he won't mess up.

Taozi! You're a magician! Thank you for casting a spell on me!

He clicks the buttons fastly writting a promised message smiling while doing.

Tao opens it already in his room.

You're the one who did cast a spell on me.

He writes back but deletes it just before pushing the send button. He goes with simply smiley instead.

"Byun Baekhyun, what am I going to do about you?"


 

~~~~~~
A/N: Sorry for the long wait! As I told I got the job and have less time now. I'll try to write some in advance at weekend to update more often ^^. Remember to tell me how you liked the chapter! Love~