The Matter of Honor

When Differences Collide (Editing)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"When will you stop being so ungrateful toward the life you have been given?!" the older man raged as he paced through the great hall.

"Father, Myunghee has done nothing wrong it was my idea to-"The round eyed girl shrieked as she guarded the older girl from their fathers hit.

"Get out of the way Gaeul!" the man bellowed as he grabbed her by the arm and threw her out of the way.

"Gaeul leave" the older girl said still kneeling on the ground before her father fighting to not look up at him. It pained her to see her sister trying to take the wrath for her.

"But Myunghee-" The younger whispered worry evident in her voice as she stared wide eyed at her sister.

"I said go!" Myunghee yelled but her gaze never left the floor frightening the younger girl a bit.

"You both are getting out of hand. Gaeul go to your chambers," the man sighed holding the bridge of his nose as he looked down at his two daughters. He look worn out, tired, but most of a he looked extremely annoyed but that’s how he looked every day.

"But fath-" the girl tried to reason with him but she was cut off.

"Are you disobeying me?"replied sternly as the girl picked herself up off of the floor before dusting of her silk dress.

"No, I will take my leave" she mumbled as she looked down at her kneeling sister with an apologetic frown before exiting the great hall.

"When will you stop acting like a child?" the man sighed as he looked down upon his first born “You’re supposed to bring us honor but instead you are allowing both you and your sister to roam the village street so thoughtlessly like peasants. Is this anyway a future empress should act!”

"I could bring you great honor if you allowed me to," the girl said bluntly as she looked up at the man a dark fire in her eyes.

"You are not a man you cannot continue to act like one. Just because your mother allowed you to study and learn things that a prince would doesn’t mean you can! You cannot do anything a man is supposed to do. When will you accept that and accept your fate?" the man said as he rubbed his temples in frustration “Some time I curse your mother for giving you this mindset but may she rest in peace.”

"Yet you have no son... father you are the king of this country you need someone to entrust this country’s future in so why not me? I am just as trained in anything a prince would learn and I am just as intelligent as any other noble man or scholar, so why not me?!" she yelled as tears began to form in her eyes “And don’t you dare blame mom you too also treated me as the pride and honor of this family but ever since she died you have been acting as if I am the dirt of this family!”

"Because you are a woman!" the man yelled before continuing "You are engaged to the emperor of China so stop trying to be a son to me and accept the duty which has been bestowed upon you!" and a soon as those words left his mouth he regretted it.

"Father, I do not wish to sit around like a doll in a box the rest of my life!" the girl retorted before small tears began to roll down her cheeks “I don’t want to be like mom!”

"Myunghee......." he paused "It is your duty as my daughter to bring our family honor not shame. Now you are to marry the emperor in a month and build an alliance between Korea and China, what could be more honorable?" He said in a calming tone as he grabbed one of his daughter’s small delicate hands.

"How is trying to fulfill the duties any other son would shameful?" she mumbled as she tore her hand from her fathers which he was all too familiar with.

"How long will you intend to be this disobedient?!" the man said his voice no longer calm and refined as it was a few moments ago.

"Until I fulfill the duty I have to myself, it’s what mom would’ve wanted." the girl sneered as she stood up abruptly from the floor turning to leave but the king held her back.

"You are turning seventeen tomorrow, I expect you to greet the emperor with care when you meet him at the celebration," he said darkly as he faced his daughter eye to eye before she tore her arm away.

"Oh don't worry I will, I wouldn't want to cause more shame for this family who doesn't have an inkling of respect for its members" she said in a sarcastic tone before storming out of the great hall leaving him to think over his past out burst with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter