honesty (and how cruel it is)

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 469w

Prompt: parents!au prompt :)) - one of the girls say "When I grow up, I want to marry Uncle Baekhyun! Because etc. etc!" and then queue Kaisoo's reaction. (but lol if Baekhyun is with them and Kyungsoo doesn't react positively haha) (also if either one of them says "What about daddy/papa?" & gets rejected)

 

‘Papa, what’s that man doing?’ asks Jinri. They’re all in the family room with Baekhyun and Jongdae, and some sappy romance movie was playing on the TV. Kyungsoo’s eyes flit to the screen. Dots of colour come together to form the picture of a man down on his knees in front of (who Kyungsoo supposes is) his girlfriend, eyes filled with emotion, customary romantic revelation music playing in the background.

Kyungsoo just barely stops himself from rolling his eyes at the cheesiness of it all.

‘He’s asking her to marry him,’ he replies, going back to his work on the laptop. Baekhyun is sprawled on the floor with Sunyoung, helping her make a castle for her princess. Jongdae sits with Jongin, a frown on his face as he watches Jongin braid Soojung’s hair.

‘Oh. When I grow up I’m going to marry Uncle Baekhyun,’ declares Jinri, and all the adults fall silent. Baekhyun does a bad job of fighting back a grin.

‘You want to marry me?’

‘You want to marry him?’ Kyungsoo exclaims, eyes wide open.

‘But why?’ Jongdae demands, arms crossing across his chest. ‘Why not Uncle Jongdae?’

‘Don’t be silly, Uncle Jongdae!’ giggles Jinri. ‘Uncle Jongdae likes boys, and I’m not a boy!’ she says. Jongdae turns her words over in his mind.

‘Makes sense,’ he concedes, and pulls Soojung on his lap to try braiding her hair himself. Jongin is in too much shock to argue as Jongdae deconstructs his fishtail braid.

‘But why don’t you want to marry Papa? What about Papa?’ asks Kyungsoo, sounding hurt. Baekhyun lets out a short chuckle.

‘Because Papa is too noisy,’ says Jinri flatly. Jongin clears his throat. ‘And Daddy… Is ew,’ she says, wrinkling her nose.

‘Is ew?’ Jongin splutters, mouth falling open. Jongdae lets out a bark of laughter. Soojung’s eyes widen in alarm as she’s clutched to his chest, a little tighter than she would have liked.

‘Uncle Jongdae lemme go! Stop!’ she screeches.

‘Sorry honey, but Daddy is ew,’ Jongdae laughs, loosening his hold on Soojung. ‘Kim Jong ew,’ he says, tears coming to his eyes.

‘Okay, why do you want to marry Uncle Baekhyun, then?’ asks Kyungsoo sulkily. He isn’t thatnoisy - well, at least not compared to Baekhyun. Baekhyun’s mouth was an unstoppable force of nature, and nothing could silence it. Trust him, he’s tried.

‘Because he’s just the right size,’ says Jinri, smiling innocently at her father. ‘I won’t have to grow too much to marry Uncle Baekhyun.’

The room falls silent.

‘SHE WANTS TO MARRY YOU BECAUSE YOU’RE SHORT!’ exclaims Jongdae, guffawing so hard Soojung can’t help but laugh along.

Baekhyun throws a cushion at him.