not quite yours and not quite mine

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 1125w

Prompt: a prompt for your parents!kaisoo: the kids cooking for their parents' birthdays (since they're one day after another) and trying not to burn the kitchen down~

 

 

The morning of 13th January dawns suspiciously quiet and peaceful, Jongin and Kyungsoo still in their beds, their dreams still wafting around in their cold bedroom air. Their legs are tangled together and their hair is tousled, and both pairs of eyes are firmly shut, easy breathing making their chests rise and fall.

Everything is as it should be in the Kim household - except that there are three pairs of feet tiptoeing silently down to the kitchen, led by the youngest of the girls with a finger pressed to her lips. Soojung has the recipe book their grandmother had given her for her thirteenth birthday clutched to her chest, and Sunyoung and Jinri follow her silently, feet padding against parquet flooring.

As soon as all three girls have made their way to the kitchen, Jinri closes the door behind her, heaving a sigh of relief. Soojung peers round at her sisters, Sunyoung already opening up their secret stash of ingredients in the cabinet nearest the fridge. 'Let's get started,' Soojung announces, and then they're off.

Measuring out ingredients, as it turns out, is harder than the TV shows makes it look - 'What do they mean quarter cup? How am I supposed to measure that?' 'Separate the eggs? How far?' 'Is a mug a cup?' - and neither Soojung nor Jinri are brave enough to so much as approach the oven, so Sunyoung gathers up all the courage she has and turns the dial.

They wait in silence.

Three minutes later the inside of the oven looks okay enough for their cake mix to go in, and Sunyoung holds her breath for the next half an hour as it bakes. Jinri and Soojung have mixed together the icing - secretly swiping bits of it as the eldest's back is turned - and have already gotten to work on the french toast, carefully pouring honey into the small container Kyungsoo always uses.

The timer rings and all three girls look at each other. Soojung and Jinri each pull one of Sunyoung's hands towards themselves, gently inching the oven mitts onto them. They pat her comfortingly on the back - 'If it doesn't work out, at least we have French toast! Daddy and Papa love French toast!' Soojung volunteers - and she takes a deep breath, brow setting as she grips the handle of the oven.

Hot air escapes the metal chamber as soon as Sunyoung pulls the door open, and hangs open as her eyes squint. She makes a grab for the cake, shuts the oven again with her as she puts the cake on the cooling rack.

Soojung and Jinri appear just at her shoulders.

'Oh.' Jinri says.





Soojung pounds her fist against her parents' bedroom door before she throws it open, none too gently wakening her fathers. Jongin snaps awake, sitting upright as Kyungsoo just burrows himself further into the bed covers, arm folding around Jongin's waist as he tries to pull the latter down next to him. 'S too early. I'm dreaming. We're all dreaming. Sleep,' he mumbles.

'Papa, wake up!' Jinri exclaims, the tray of breakfast things in her hands. Sunyoung is still hiding somewhere just beyond the doorway, out of her parents' line of vision. 'We made you guys breakfast! Happy birthdays!'

'Mine was yesterday.'
'And mine's tomorrow,'
'How could you forget that?'

Soojung lets out a sigh. 'Honestly, you guys. The three of us can't wake up this early twice in a week, so. We're going to celebrate your birthdays together, today!' Soojung explains. 'We know you probably have plans with your friends or whoever for your actual birthdays, so we thought, just to get us out of the way, today could be our day to celebrate. Just the five of us,' she finishes, beaming. She pulls the legs of the breakfast tray out, and Jinri makes her way to the bed.

'Yeah, and we were all sweet and made your favourite and all of that, so here,' Jinri says, depositing the tray just at the foot of the bed. Kyungsoo shifts, wriggles his way so that his head is deposited in Jongin's lap. Jongin peers at the food and he's touched, to say the least - the girls barely ever cook, and even though he can see that the edges of the toast are a little burned, he appreciates the gesture. He cuts up a piece and dips it in honey, coaxes Kyungsoo to lift his head a little so he can feed the elder before eating some himself.

'How does it taste?' asks Soojung, nervously. Her hands are clasped together with Jinri's, and Jongin and Kyungsoo both smile.

'It tastes great, angel,' Kyungsoo says, smiling. He spots Sunyoung standing outside their room, and his brows knot together as he tilts his head. 'Sunyoung honey, what are you doing out there? Come here!' he gestures, mouth opening instinctively as Jongin feeds him another bite.

Sunyoung walks slowly into the room, the cake out in front of her. It came out better than they'd expected - with the icing and the candle, it actually looked pretty decent. Kyungsoo's mouth gapes open (and Jongin absent mindedly stuffs another piece of toast in it) when he sees it, and tears start forming in his eyes as he chews and swallows.

'Did you three make this yourselves?' he asks, voice thick with emotion. Jongin seems to understand that the cake is a big deal, and stops eating. Soojung nods.

'We used the recipe book Gramma gave us!' she says proudly. 'We... Hope you like it!' she adds, nervously.

'Of course, of course, we - thank you, girls, really, we'll eat this right away,' Kyungsoo says, blinking back tears before they fall.

Jongin takes another look at the cake.

'Says you. I'm not eating cake for breakfast. That's unhealthy.'

The yelp he lets out when Kyungsoo pinches his side is, undeniably, the most unmanly thing the girls have ever heard.

They hide their snickers behind their hands as Jongin catches both of Kyungsoo's wrists in one big hand, refusing to let go unless he kisses him. Kyungsoo, on his part, puts up a pretty good fight - but Jongin is bigger, and stronger, and really all Kyungsoo wants to do is eat his cake, so he acquiesces and gives his husband a light peck on the cheek.

Jongin lets go, moves his hand to the back of Kyungsoo's neck and presses the softest of kisses to the elder's forehead. 'Happy afterbirthday, baby. I love you,' he murmurs.

Kyungsoo smiles and presses his forehead into Jongin's chest. 'Happy almost birthday, honey. I love you too.'

Soojung's lip curls and she rolls her eyes, as does Jinri before the latter asks, loudly -

'So does our insurance cover diabetes or what because you guys are going to give us it, I swear.'