best friend

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 615w

Prompt: parents au - the girls want a pet poodle, or two, maybe even three ;) (because jongin in real life lighting up after seeing his dogs is heartwarming)

 

Mornings in the Kim household are usually noisy and tumultuous, Jongin making sure the girls are dressed and ready for school as Kyungsoo makes breakfast and packs them food for recess. The apartment in the mornings is nothing short of chaotic, and Kyungsoo's so used to the routine thunderstorm of noise his family generates that when it doesn't come on a particular Wednesday morning, he's put on edge.

'Papa? Do you need help?' Jinri tugs on the leg of his pants, peering up at her father with big eyes. Kyungsoo is in the midst of making scrambled eggs, and he's nothing short of shocked out of his skin that his middle daughter is dressed and ready. Usually it took Jongin forever to get their middle daughter ready, but there she was, fully dressed with her hair combed and a sparkly barrette just above her ear. 'Do you want me to set the table?' she asks.

'Okay... But be careful, only use the plastic plates,' Kyungsoo says, and he watches as the girl toddles off to the cabinet next to the fridge to pull out the breakfast things.

'I'll help too!' announces Soojung, rushing over to gather up place mats. Sunyoung makes her entrance not long after, obediently helping her father supervise her sisters. She gets them both seated and sits herself down when the table is set, and Kyungsoo eyes the lot of them suspiciously.

'What's wrong, Papa?' asks Soojung, head tilting to the side as she innocently spoons some food into . 'You're looking at us weird.'

'Nothing,' says Kyungsoo, tone indicating that he thinks his daughter's behaviour is anything but. Jongin comes in just then, greeting his husband with a quick kiss and Kyungsoo instinctively turns to do up the former's tie. Jongin reaches over to get some toast, and Kyungsoo tsks when the crumbs fall onto his shirt.

'Why are the girls so... Agreeable this morning?' he mumbles under his breath. Jongin's brow furrows.

'What do you mean?' Jongin asks. 'They're always agreeable,' he says. It's true, for the most part - their children weren't prone to throwing tantrums, but every child has their moments.

Kyungsoo huffs and pulls away from his husband to face the girls. 'Okay, what is it.' he says plainly, hands coming up to his hips. 'What do you want?'

'What do you mean, Papa?' squeaks Jinri.

'You helped me get breakfast ready. What is it that you want from us?' he asks. He stares at all three of the girls in turn, and finally, Soojung breaks.

'Papa,' she begins sheepishly, 'Can I have a puppy?'

Kyungsoo's eyes almost bug straight out of his head. 'What?' Soojung swings herself out of her seat and hugs her father's legs, peering innocently up at him.

'Please?' she tries, and Kyungsoo's head whips in Jongin's direction so fast he hears a crack in his neck. Jongin just mouths the words building policy says no before he makes his escape, leaving Kyungsoo on his own with this mess.

'I want a puppy too!' Jinri pipes up, scrambling to latch onto her father's legs alongside her sister.
'Please Papa, I promise I won't ask for anything ever!' she whines, and Kyungsoo tilts his head up to the ceiling, searching for patience in the plaster. He drags a hand down his face, before looking at Sunyoung.

'I suppose you want a puppy, too?' Kyungsoo asks sarcastically, relief flooding him when Sunyoung shakes his head.

It's short lived though, because just as Kyungsoo feels himself about to smile -

'I want two.'