and smile for me

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 483w

Prompt: prompt for you E - kaisoo sending their kid to school and she is embarrassed because she has two dads

 

'Do you both have to come down?' Sunyoung whines, fiddling with the safety belt wrapped around her waist. It's her first day of school and everyone's going to be with their mommies and daddies, and she's feeling kind of apprehensive about showing up with two dads.

Kyungsoo and Jongin exchange a look and Kyungsoo sighs, reaching into the backseat to undo her safety belt. 'There's nothing wrong with having two daddies, Sunyoung,' he mumbles. Jongin gets out of the car and opens the door for his daughter, securing her small hand in his before opening the door for his husband to get out. Kyungsoo grabs onto Sunyoung's other hand and together, they walk to the front doors of the school.

'No no no please, Daddy, Papa - I'm a big girl, I can walk myself!' Sunyoung all but screeches, hands gripping both her fathers' hard enough to have them stop in their tracks. Jongin and Kyungsoo share another look before turning to inspect their daughter's face, surprised to see her almost in tears.

'What's wrong, Sunyoung?' Jongin asks, kneeling down so he's face to face with his daughter. She's the light of his life and right up there with Kyungsoo on his list of 'best things that have ever happened to me', and it's normal for children to cry, but seeing her like this, crying about this - well, it breaks his heart.

'Everyone else has a mommy and a daddy and I don't.' Sunyoung says, lips forming a pout as she struggles to hold back her tears. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and gets down to her level, scans the crowd of schoolchildren and anxious parents before he spots his target.

'See that little boy over there?' Kyungsoo asks, pointing Sunyoung's finger at a boy with the corners of his lips turned down, a fragile house quaking between the angry towers of a mother and father who don't care about making a scene. 'He's got a mommy and daddy. Do you think they're as happy as we are? You and me and Daddy?'

It takes a while, but Sunyoung acquiesces and shakes her head. 'That's because they're not. See, you might not have a mommy and a daddy, but you have a Papa and a Daddy who love you just as much. And we make you laugh, right? We make you giggle?' Jongin asks, fingers coming out to poke Sunyoung in the sides. She giggles and Jongin and Kyungsoo smile: anything that makes their princess happy makes them happy.

'We love you enough for five mommies and eight daddies, okay, angel? I don't want you to be embarrassed anymore, you hear me?' Kyungsoo gently chides. Sunyoung nods, her pigtails bobbing as she smiles. She kisses her fathers goodbye and gives them hugs before running off to meet her friends, Jongin and Kyungsoo watching after her fondly.

'Think she'd feel better if you let her start calling you Mama instead?'

'Shut up, Jongin.'