revisitation

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 1196w

Prompt: hi~ :) you're parents!au fics are just so great and fluffy and adorable and wonderful and yeah, i love them (and i love you for writing them) so, i have a prompt for you: jongin teaching one of the girls (or all three of them) how to dance? pretty please~ o3o

 

There are times when Jongin hates how easily swayed he is by his youngest daughter. His drums his fingers on his steering wheel, eyes on the traffic light as it shines a bright red. ‘Are we there yet, Daddy?’ whines Soojung, and Jongin struggles not to roll his eyes.

‘No, princess,’ he says, through gritted teeth. A chorus of groans can be heard coming from the back seat, and Jongin sighs with relief when the traffic lights turns green. The girls are all achatter on the way there - high pitched squealing and excited exclaiming and Jongin supposes he really can’t get mad at his daughters when they’re all so excited to share something with him.

‘Will your friend make us into ballerinas, Daddy?’ asks Jinri, leaning forward just a little.

‘She will if you sit tight - that’s dangerous, Jinri, lean back please,’ he mutters. She does as she’s told and Jongin pulls into the parking lot of his old dance academy easily, putting the car into park before he gets out to let his daughters down, one by one.

Soojung and Jinri hold hands, skipping ahead of him and Sunyoung. They’re all wide eyed and excited, and Jongin can’t fight back the grin that etches itself on his lips. His girls are adorable.

The front doors swing open creakily, years of going unoiled making the hinges screech. Jongin leads the way without a word, remembering all too well all the years he’d spent there growing up. ‘Are you sure you want to take them there?’ Kyungsoo had asked, when Soojung had managed to make Jongin cave into her request to teach them dance. ‘Can’t you just clear some space in the house and teach them here?’

Jongin had shaken his head. ‘There isn’t enough space, Soo, I don’t want them to get hurt,’ he’d said. ‘Also what if they had real interest or real talent? I just want to expose them to this possibility so they know, y’know, if they ever wanted to take up classes, how it would be like,’ he said. Kyungsoo had nodded and helped dress the girls, kissed them all goodbye before they left. This meant a lot to Jongin, he could tell, and who was he to stand in the way?

That was how Jongin found himself face to face with his old ballet teacher, a woman named Mrs Shin. Each year that had passed since he’d last set foot in the academy had drawn a new fine line on her face, but her eyes - her eyes still shone. He recognised that glint. ‘Mrs Shin!’

She turns to face him. ‘Heavens, is that Kim Jongin?’ she exclaims, large grin lighting up her face. ‘Is that really you?’

Jongin makes his way to her, begins to bow but doesn’t get the chance to before she pulls him into a hug. ‘It’s been years! And - are they yours?’ she kneels down to say hello to each of his daughters, who, in turn, smile shyly at her. ‘They must be yours! They all have that Jongin shyness,’ she comments.

‘Yes, they’re all mine. And all of them recently showed interest in dance,’ he says, smiling at his teacher. ‘I was wondering if you could give them a bit of a preview into your ballet program?’ he asks.

Mrs Shin raises her eyebrows. ‘I give them a preview?’ she asks, mischief in her eyes and Jongin knows he’s in trouble. She gestures for Sunyoung to come over, the girl’s hair. ‘How would you like it if your father showed you how to dance ballet?’

Sunyoung’s eyes go wide, her jaw dropping to form an “o” shape. ‘Daddy? Teach us to dance? But he isn’t a teacher!’ she exclaims, excitement already in her voice.

‘It doesn’t matter that he isn’t a teacher, darling. He was my best student, he’s more than good enough to teach you the basics,’ she says. Sunyoung nods excitedly, pigtails bobbing as she goes. Mrs Shin looks up at her former star pupil.

‘So? What do you say?’




A small smile creeps up Jongin’s lips when he enters the ballet studio for the first time in years. So many things have happened since then - he’d married Kyungsoo, gotten a job, had three beautiful girls, become an adult. He was far from the bumbling nine year old he’d been when he first saw the room, but it still made him feel the same way. It still felt like home.

He runs his fingers along the bar, catching on where some of the students had carved their names in the wood. ‘Daddy?’ Soojung calls, standing with her sisters. ‘Can you show us how to dance?’

The question catches him off guard. ‘I - princess, Daddy hasn’t danced in a long time - ’ he begins, but Mrs Shin cuts him off.

‘Just show them a couple of pirouettes, and then we’ll teach them first and second position,’ Mrs Shin says. Her voice still has that reassuring lilt to it, and Jongin stands in the middle of the room. His legs are a little stiffer now, age working its way into his bones, but he gets into fifth position anyway. He takes a deep breath, stretches one leg out and back into fourth, and he turns. He manages to do three turns and pulls off a finish of acceptable quality, and the girls whoop and cheer.

‘That was great, Daddy!’ exclaims Jinri. Jongin just grins at her. They’re in a hurry to learn, and it doesn’t take Jongin very long to teach them first position. His daughters are quick learners and by the time the hour is up, Soojung’s already got the hang of fifth position, Jinri and Soojung on third and fourth each. They bid farewell to Mrs Shin and all say their thank yous, and Jongin drives them home.




‘One day, Daddy, I’m going to be able to dance like you,’ murmurs Soojung sleepily when she’s tucked up in bed. Kyungsoo just barely hears, and smiles to himself as he kisses Sunyoung goodnight. Jongin kisses Soojung on the forehead, her hair away from her face.

‘One day you’re going to dance way better than me, princess,’ he promises. Kyungsoo waits at the door for him, switches the lights off and closes the door when Jongin exits. They make their way to their bedroom, an exhausted Jongin hurling himself on their bed. Kyungsoo sits next to him.

‘Tired?’ asks Kyungsoo, carding his fingers through his husband’s hair.

Jongin hums, rolling over so he has his head in Kyungsoo’s lap. ‘I forgot how tiring dancing is. I mean it felt good, but I guess I’m getting old. I’m all out of practice,’ mumbles Jongin. A corner of Kyungsoo’s lips crooks up, and he leans down to whisper in Jongin’s ear.

‘If you need more practice,’ he says, finger trailing own Jongin’s arm, ‘You can always dance… for me,’ he whispers.

Jongin smirks.

They aren’t getting much sleep tonight.