meet the parents

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 1078w

Prompt: PARENTS!AU PROMPT! ONEW/SEHUN/ONE OF THE GIRLS' BOYFRAN COMES OVER FOR DINNER ONE DAY PLSPLSPLSPLS EMMA PLS‎ for starsthatlast 'Um - could you please - um. Pass the, um - mashed potatoes.'

 



Jongin eyes the boy sitting to his right unhappily. His hand moves to curl around the rim of the bowl, and he passes the food to his daughter's boyfriend. Kyungsoo had been determined to meet this boyfriend of Sunyoung's for weeks, and so far, even Jongin has to admit there seems to be nothing wrong with Jinki. He was, in fact, a model student, kept good grades, was respectful, maybe was in need of a haircut, but overall, completely satisfactory.

The bowl slips from Jinki's fingers. Its contents spill over the part of the table in front of him. Kyungsoo grimaces.

'I - oops. I really didn't mean to do that... I'm sorry. I'll - I'll clean that up,' Jinki stutters nervously. Sunyoung gets up and he follows her into the kitchen to get a cloth.

'I expect you back out here in five minutes!' hollers Kyungsoo. Jinri rolls her eyes, spears a piece of chicken with her fork before popping it in .

'Papa, seriously. They aren't going to make out in the kitchen. In the middle of dinner. Where we'd probably be able to he -'

'I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF THE SECONDS TICKING BY,' Kyungsoo roars, ears heating up as he tilts his chair back far enough so he can be seen from the kitchen entrance. 'Also, Jinri, you're fifteen, stop eating with your mouth full.'

Jinki and Sunyoung return not too long after, dampened cloth in hand, and Sunyoung gets to work wiping up the mess. Jongin bristles.

'Why are you making my daughter clean up your mess?'
'I - I'm sorry, sir. Here, Sunyoung, I'll just -'
'Why do your choices change so easily?'
'I - I'm sorry, sir. I thought you wanted me to -'
'Why do you think you have the right to assume what my thoughts are?'

'DADDY!' Sunyoung snaps. Jongin's eyes lose the steely undertone they'd had just five seconds ago, and he seems to almost cower in front of his daughter. Moments like these are few and far between, and Sunyoung has never been one to waste an opportunity to speak her mind and get away with it. 'You said we were going to have a nice dinner together as a family, and that I should invite Jinki. That's what you said. So he's your guest. And you always taught me that it's important to make our guests feel welcome.' she says, pointedly.

Jongin shoots a panicked glance at Kyungsoo. He takes a deep breath, exhaling any ill presumptions he'd had about Jinki, and proceeds to play the perfect host. He asks Jinki about his studies, his interests, has him relaxed enough by the end of the meal that he voluntarily asks to play the piano, to sing with Sunyoung because 'I know how much Mr.. Do... likes to hear his daughter sing.'

Jongin almost gags at the adoring gaze his daughter throws him.

Jinki's fingers are light against the piano keys, striking the wood just right, meticulously drawing out the notes from both the instrument and his girlfriend, as well as a few eye rolls from Jinri and Jongin and a long, drawn out 'awwwww' from Soojung. Kyungsoo sits watching stony faced, looking every bit the unimpressed audience with his arms folded across his chest and it makes his daughter nervous. Sunyoung nudges Jinki, a silent prompt to join in, make it a duet. He raises his eyebrows in a question, all the while keeping his fingers on the keys, and once Sunyoung nods reassuringly, he belts out the most impressive note Kyungsoo's heard in a while.

His jaw drops.

Sunyoung smiles smugly.

'Where did you learn to sing like that?' Kyungsoo asks, once the song has finished and Sunyoung has handed her boyfriend a glass of water. He is in awe, his tone almost reverent, and Sunyoung can't help but smile.

'I, uh - actually, Sunyoung taught me. I never used to be able to sing in front of people until I met her, and then she...' he trails off, eyes finding Sunyoung's (and in them, the right words), 'She brought me out of my shell. Showed me what it meant to really sing, and I... I've been getting better ever since.'

Kyungsoo can tell that his daughter and her boyfriend are having a moment, eyes adoringly fixated on each other's, and he slinks awkwardly away from the two. He finds his way next to Jongin, who's on the couch, pointedly ignoring the public display of affection his eldest daughter is engaged in. 'She looks at him like the world shines out of his ,' Kyungsoo whispers, low enough so their other daughters don't hear. Jongin looks over at the couple, and then back at Kyungsoo.

'Remember what Baekhyun used to say?' he asks. Kyungsoo shakes his head. 'He used to say the exact same thing about the way I look at you,' Jongin smiles, and Kyungsoo can't resist leaning in to kiss it.

'Daddy, Papa, c'mon!' Sunyoung groans, hiding her face in embarrassment when she realises her boyfriend probably just saw her parents kissing. Her parents laugh when they see how mortified she looks, and Jinki inches closer to pat her comfortably on the back. She turns to look at him right away, and neither parent can deny - she adores him. He's good for her, Jongin thinks.

'Jinki?' Jongin says, standing up, prompting Jinki to stand at attention. 'I'd like you to take proper care of my daughter. Back by eleven every time you take her out, not a minute later, or I will have your head as a trophy. You are not to be alone with her in her room for more than five minutes at a time, and if you are, the door must be at least fifteen inches open. Is that understood?'

'Yes, sir.'
'Good. And one more thing?'
'Yes?'
'If you ever, ever make my girl cry - I will skin you alive. Painfully. I can guarantee you that.'

Jinki slings an arm around Sunyoung then, a bold move that has her blushing, and smiles at her like she's the only person in the world. 'I wouldn't worry about that, sir. I wouldn't worry about that at all.'