goodbye to our yesterdays

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 444w

Prompt: parents au - kaisoo with their girls moving into a new home after many years living in it

 

'Honey, is the bedroom empty?'
'Yes!'
'Have you got all their shoes?'
'Yeah!'
'Alright, let's go!'
'Just a minute!'

Jongin taps his foot a little impatiently as he waits in the main doorway of their apartment, every minute etching a new line across his patience. He gives Kyungsoo a full five minutes before he sighs and goes in search of his husband - only to find the elder in their daughters' room, fingers tracing along the walls. Kyungsoo looks up when Jongin approaches him, a sad smile on his face.

'Hey,' says Kyungsoo.

'Hey,' says Jongin. They look at each other for a long, long minute before Kyungsoo turns back to look at the empty room and Jongin comes up behind him, wrapping arms around his husband's waist. 'You okay?' he asks.

'Sort of. Just a little... You know, sad. I can't believe we're really moving out.' Kyungsoo says, hands rubbing over Jongin's where they rest on his stomach. 'This was our first home together,' Kyungsoo adds, a little emotion underlining his words.

'You remember our first night here?' Jongin asks, mouth just by Kyungsoo's ear. Kyungsoo nods and grins a little to himself, remembering. They'd gotten so used to being surrounded by people, they didn't know what to do with all the privacy they suddenly had. It was new but it wasn't awkward, and Kyungsoo remembers the thrill of being able to do whatever he wanted with Jongin, whenever he wanted.

'Remember our first anniversary?'
'How could I not? You were freaking out because Sooyoung felt the baby kick and you weren't there to feel it,'
'In my defence, Sunyoung didn't really like kicking at all. It was a precious opportunity to feel my unborn daughter move,'
'Okay, Soo. Okay.'

They stay like this for a few more minutes, until three pairs of feet thunder into the room and break the peace. 'Daddy, Papa! Isn't it time to go to the new house yet?' Soojung whines.

'Yeah, Uncle Baek is telling really unfunny jokes and I'm tired of pretending they're funny,' Jinri pouts. Jongin chuckles and pulls away from Kyungsoo, murmuring an I'll meet you downstairs when you're ready before he leaves.

Kyungsoo takes one last look around the place, runs his fingers over the notches in the doorway that they'd used to measure his daughters' height. They'd made so many memories in this apartment, and they'd outgrown it somewhere along the way. He slips his shoes on and exits, locking up for the last time.

It was time for them to make new ones.