all along

come build our home, my love.

Kyungsoo clicks his phone on, illuminated screen mirrored in large eyes as he takes in the day and date. Sunyoung is exactly 5 months and 15 days old, and already she’s crawling along the floor of their living room, smile bright and eyes shining with delight. He lets out a heavy sigh - it seems like just yesterday she was helpless in his arms, a small bundle of tiny human being wrapped up in a fluffy pink blanket. Now - well, now, of course, she was crawling.

'What's wrong, baby?' Jongin asks, looking up from his laptop. He laughs a little as Sunyoung reaches his feet, little palms slapping against his skin as she squeals. He puts his laptop aside in favour of picking up his daughter and tickling her, enjoying the way she shrieks with laughter. 'I love you,' he murmurs, cuddling the child to his chest as she snuggles into his warmth.

Kyungsoo lets out another sigh, considerably louder than the one before.

Jongin rolls his eyes.

‘I love you more?’ he offers, lips crooked up in a half smile that tells Kyungsoo he probably thinks his husband is jealous of their child. Kyungsoo pouts and frowns.

‘I’m not going to answer that,’ says Kyungsoo huffily. He folds his arms across his chest and pointedly turns away, refusing to look at his husband and daughter. He pretends not to hear the I think Papa needs some hugs that Jongin mumbles.

‘Soo,’ Jongin prods, index fingers clutched in Sunyoung’s fists. Kyungsoo ignores him. ‘Honey?’ he tries again, backed up by Sunyoung’s gurgling, but still he gets no response. Jongin lets out a long-suffering sigh.

The next thing Kyungsoo knows, his daughter is being placed in his lap, familiar arms lacing themselves around his waist. A warmth that both comforts him and makes his heart race plants itself against his back, and he instinctively leans into his husband’s chest. Lips are by the base of his neck, tracing the skin just above the seam of his tshirt with kisses. He closes his eyes and smiles to himself - this is bliss.

Those lips are by his ears soon enough, warm breath fanning down the curve of his neck. ‘Love of my life,’ Jongin murmurs, and Kyungsoo almost blushes. Almost, because at the last minute he remembers his mood is currently very firmly set to miserable, and he proceeds to swiftly disentangle himself from his husband, cradling their daughter protectively as he glares at Jongin.

‘I’m sighing,’ Kyungsoo says, pointedly putting Sunyoung back down on the floor on all fours. It doesn’t take her long to catch sight of her favourite red squeaky toy, and then she’s crawling off towards it faster than Kyungsoo can blink.

‘Okay, do you want to tell me why you’re sighing?’ asks Jongin, exasperated. He’s never been good at accurately guessing the cause of Kyungsoo’s (many) grievances, and, honestly, sometimes he just doesn’t have the patience. It’s much more efficient to ask.

‘Look at our baby!’ Kyungsoo shrieks, startling Sunyoung and making her fall on her face, nose pressed against the padding of the quilt Kyungsoo had laid out on the floor for her. He’d intended for it to protect her knees from carpet burn, but now he’s thankful his daughter doesn’t have a broken nose.

‘She seems fine? If a little hurt, thank you, Papa,’ Jongin says, somewhat mockingly. Kyungsoo glares at him as he rubs Sunyoung’s back, trying to calm her down. ‘What’s the matter with Sunyoung? She’s perfectly healthy. Developing a little quicker than normal, even!’

‘That’s the thing! She’s growing up way too quickly, Jongin - soon she’ll leave home and we won’t have anyone to talk to but each other!’ Kyungsoo works himself up into a panic, and Jongin has to rush over and take Sunyoung from him before the child is crushed in her own father’s arms.

‘What’s wrong with talking to me?’ Jongin asks, pretending to take offense. Kyungsoo just rolls his eyes, the motion a silent you know what I mean.

‘Don’t you think… She might get lonely?’ Kyungsoo asks, finger tracing a line along Jongin’s arm. His tone is coy and tentative, and if Jongin hadn’t already been prepared for this conversation the moment they’d signed the papers for Sunyoung, he would have shat his pants by now.

He’s lucky he always looks forward.

Still, it’s fun to watch Kyungsoo try to wheedle things out of him, and he pretends he has no idea what his husband is talking about. ‘We could send her to a daycare, plenty of kids her age there,’ Jongin suggests, doing his best to hide his grin.

‘We can’t send her to a place full of strangers so young! My mother would have a fit!’ Kyungsoo thwacks his husband’s upper arm, face absolutely scandalised. ‘I was thinking… Someone… A little closer to home?’

‘Sooyoung changed her number, remember?’

Kyungsoo groans, his hair as he stomps towards the sofa and dramatically flings himself across it. Jongin smiles. It shouldn’t be this amusing to tease his husband.

He puts Sunyoung into her playpen, kissing her on the forehead before he makes his way to his husband. Kyungsoo’s still frowning when Jongin lifts his head up just enough so he can sit down and rest it on his lap. He cards his fingers through the elder’s hair, smiling down serenely and Kyungsoo feels all his frustrations melt away.

Years are just numbers when you’ve got forever to go with your soulmate.

‘Do you want to have another?’ asks Jongin easily, revelling in the way Kyungsoo’s eyes fly wide open and he rolls off the couch, kneeling so his chin rests on Jongin’s knees.

‘Are you serious?’ Kyungsoo asks. Jongin just laughs and nods easily. He’s always known that Kyungsoo had always wanted a big family - he just didn’t think the elder would want to expand their home this fast.

The fact that Kyungsoo so readily leaps into Jongin’s arms proves his assumptions wrong.

‘Thank you thank you thank you thank you,’ Kyungsoo kisses Jongin full on the lips, fingers twisting in his hair, the younger’s hands on his waist. Kyungsoo’s lips drag across the line of Jongin’s jaw, fingertips skimming the skin under his shirt.

Things get too heated too quickly, and it takes everything in Jongin to gently pry himself away from his husband, aware in the back of his mind that his daughter was mere feet away.

‘If I keep saying yes to you, we’re going to end up with ten kids.’
‘Twenty, actually.’

Jongin groans.

‘Fine. But you come up with a way to pay their college tuition.’




Adopting their second child is different, somehow. Jinah is different, sharp edges where Sooyoung was soft curves. She doesn’t wear the kind smile that Sooyoung did, the one that made Kyungsoo rethink their whole decision to adopt. Instead, she wears a glare, blatantly eyeing the way Jongin’s hand curls around Kyungsoo’s with distaste.

‘I think she hates us,’ says Kyungsoo one night. They’d insisted on being there for the sonogram that afternoon, and when the doctor had told them they could tell the , Jinah’s stone cold expression didn’t even falter. Jongin had to pinch Kyungsoo’s arm just to make him stop gaping at her.

‘I don’t think she hates us, necessarily,’ mumbles Jongin. He puts a couple of bottles of formula next to the bottle warmer, before diving under the covers with a satisfied groan.

‘Have you seen the way she looks at us? I mean - c’mon, Jongin, who are we kidding?’ Kyungsoo asks. ‘We’re a pretty damned good looking couple, the only person who looks at us the way she does is Baekhyun. And she doesn’t even know us,’ he adds.

‘Not everyone’s the same.’

Kyungsoo sighs, but he can’t deny that Jongin’s right. ‘Still. Do you think she’s homophobic or something?’

Jongin shakes his head. Kyungsoo tilts his in confusion. ‘Why not?’ he demands.

‘Well,’ says Jongin evenly, propping himself up on one elbow so he can look at Kyungsoo. ‘What do we know about the father?’

Kyungsoo racks his brains for an answer. He recalls their meeting with Ms Lim, failing to bring to mind any instance of her mentioning the father of Jinah’s child. There had been absolutely no mention of the man, and as realisation dawns on Kyungsoo, so does a flood of guilt.

‘Oh,’ he says, and the sound comes out wet. ‘She probably doesn’t know who it is,’ he says softly.

‘Probably,’ Jongin agrees, burrowing down into the sheets so he can push his face into Kyungsoo’s chest. He likes the way the elder’s arms and legs move instinctively to wrap around him, and he smiles.

He doesn’t think he’ll ever miss sleeping alone.




‘Just - to - make - it - clear,’ Jinah pants, hands squeezing one of Kyungsoo and Jongin’s each, hair plastered to her forehead with sweat. ‘This - is - the - END,’ the last word leaves her in a scream, labour pains already rendering her speech faculties useless. ‘NO FLOWERS NO NOTHING DO YOU UNDERSTAND?’ she shouts.

Jongin and Kyungsoo nod vigorously, Jongin struggling to keep Sunyoung balanced on his hip as the hospital bed wheels Jinah along to the labour room. The nurses wheel Jinah in without a second thought, one of them stopping to ask for the father. Judging by the way they were interacting it was pretty obvious to the nurse that Jongin and Kyungsoo were both the fathers, but still. She can only allow one of them inside.

‘You go,’ Kyungsoo says hurriedly. He gently extracts Sunyoung from Jongin’s hold and lightly shoves at his husband to go inside the labour room. Jongin stands rooted to the spot.

‘I - what? You want - you want m-me to go in?’ Jongin asks, voice shaking with disbelief. Kyungsoo nods again, more firmly this time, mouth set resolutely.

‘Yes, you!’
‘But - but Kyungsoo, all that blood and screaming and things, I - ’
‘One of those things is going to be your daughter, Jongin!’
‘But - I don’t have to watch her become my daughter, do I, S - ’
‘For goodness’ sake, Jongin Jinah is about to give birth any minute now I SUGGEST YOU GROW A PAIR AND GET INSIDE!’

Jongin, of course, complies.

He shuffles meekly to the bedside, hands curling around the cold metal railing. He eyes the doctor that’s encouraging her to push, and all too soon he finds his own hand in a death grip, a screaming woman in his ear. She’s screaming bloody murder and Jongin’s never been more afraid of a woman in his life.

How on earth did Kyungsoo handle this with Sunyoung?

‘The baby is crowning!’ yells the doctor, and Jongin takes that as a sign that he’s going to meet his daughter soon.

‘You can do it, Jinah, I know you ca - ’
‘Shut the up, Jongin, I AM TRYING TO PUSH A HUMAN BEING OUT OF MYSELF RIGHT NOW!’

Jongin doesn’t say anything for the rest of the birth.

When he gets brave enough to venture a peek down, the sight almost makes him throw up.

He doesn’t look anywhere but Jinah’s face for the rest of the birth, either.

‘It’s a girl!’ the doctor proclaims, putting the angry, bloody, screaming baby on Jinah’s chest. Mother and child are left alone before a nurse bathes the baby, wrapping her up in a pink blanket before she turns to face Jongin.

‘Do you want to hold your baby, sir?’ she asks.

Jongin is in a daze. There’s nothing he would like more.

‘Hey, baby,’ he coos, thumb brushing along her temple softly as he whispers in her ear. ‘It’s me, Daddy. It’s so nice to meet you,’ he says. He manages to press a kiss to the baby’s soft cheek before the nurse takes his daughter away, and he walks back out to Kyungsoo on cloud nine.

‘We have another girl.’




The first few weeks are challenging. Sunyoung’s just learning to walk and Soojung is asleep most of the time. Sunyoung keeps shrieking when she bumps into something, noise echoing throughout their small apartment and waking Soojung up.

Soojung wakes up every three to four hours for feeding, and when she shrills a cry of hunger at 4am, so does Sunyoung.

It takes them a while before they get some time to themselves.

(They’re thankful for any time at all.)

‘Didn’t really think this whole girl business over properly, did we?’ asks Jongin, body resting on top of Kyungsoo’s on the couch. Lazy Saturday afternoons just like this is what he loves most.

‘What do you mean?’ asks Kyungsoo, brow furrowing slightly.

‘Well, think about it. Have you ever even seen a bra?’
‘Jongin!’
‘I’m serious!’
‘They’re not even two yet. You don’t have to worry for a long while.’

Sunyoung stumbles over to where Soojung is asleep in her carrier, and she squats down just enough so she can gently kiss her new sister. ‘Bebe,’ she mumbles, and then she’s gone.

Kyungsoo smiles to himself.

His little family was worth every worry.




Author’s Note: So! I got around finally to writing this I’m so sorry

but here you go

i’m so tired i shouldn’t be ficing tbh but wtv

gonna sleep now bye

twitter | ask.fm