like a nervous heart

come build our home, my love.

Kyungsoo stands by himself in a corner of the room, eyes following Jongin's form as the younger meets and greets people from his department. Having to attend a company dinner wasn't one of Kyungsoo's favourite things, and having to share Jongin's attention with a room full of strangers was definitely his least. His eyes never leave the back of Jongin's head, newlywed senses tingling every time someone touches his new husband.

Being married to someone as good looking as Jongin was tough.

Not having a giant rock on his finger to prove it was even tougher, and Kyungsoo narrows his eyes when one of the girls with the low-cut dresses touches Jongin's arm. She laughs flirtatiously, tosses her bleached blonde hair over her shoulder. It's when Jongin isn't looking and she looks at him like a predator about to pounce on its prey that Kyungsoo snaps.

He stomps over angrily towards his husband, gives the girl a slow once over and a smirk, before curling his hands around Jongin's elbow. 'Hey, baby,' Kyungsoo coos, smiling up at Jongin and rubbing his cheek against the fabric of Jongin's jacket. He closes his eyes when Jongin looks at him and pecks him on the forehead, the happy couple painting the very picture of contentment. 'Who's your friend?' he asks, not without malice.

'Oh! Um - Kyungsoo, this is Ms Jung, one of my coworkers,' Jongin says. 'And - and this is Kyungsoo, my - '

'Husband,' Kyungsoo says firmly, an artificially sweet smile stretched across his lips. He takes the girl's hand and gives it a firm shake. 'We just got married, he's not used to the whole "husband" concept yet,' Kyungsoo says, looking up at Jongin with all the adoration in his eyes.

'Can you blame a guy?' Jongin chuckles. 'You were my fiance for a whole year,' he says.

'And boyfriend for five before that,' Kyungsoo beams. By now the girl is already trying to make her escape, disgust evident in the way she rolls her eyes. 'Where are you going, Ms Jung?' Kyungsoo says, pointedly stressing her name because - well, her and Jongin couldn't have been very close if he didn't introduce her by her first name.

A murmured excuse of I need to use the ladies' escapes her lips, and Kyungsoo happily waves her off as she leaves.

'Kyungsoo,' Jongin murmurs, under his breath. 'What are you doing.'

Oh. . He's caught.

'Nothing,' Kyungsoo says innocently, resting his head against his husband's shoulder. 'Just - I got lonely.'

'No. You got jealous.'
'Did not.'
'Prove it. Let go.'
'I can't.'
'Why not?'
'New husband fingers. Can't uncurl them.'

Jongin rolls his eyes.

That night, when they're settled in bed, Jongin tries again. 'You know you have nothing to worry about, right? Like - I dig you more than I dig anybody else. Than I could possibly dig anybody else,' Jongin says. His mother had told him communication was important in a marriage, and even though talking wasn't really his strong point, he knows he should at least try.

Kyungsoo wrinkles his nose. 'Who even says "dig" anymore? Seriously.' he says, determinedly not looking at Jongin. Even by the light of the moon that manages to sneak between the sheer curtains of their bedroom, Jongin would be able to recognise the look in Kyungsoo's eyes. It's the look he gets whenever he's lying.

It's too bad that he doesn't know about how Jongin can also tell if he's lying just from the sound of his voice.

'You don't have anything to be jealous of,' Jongin says firmly. 'Believe me,' he says, softer this time, and Kyungsoo feels the kiss against his neck before he sees Jongin move. 'I love you,' Jongin breathes, before he steals Kyungsoo's lips in a kiss and extracts all oxygen from his lungs and makes him go boneless. Jongin knows exactly what kissing him does to Kyungsoo.

And Kyungsoo isn't going to give up that easily.

'I love you too,' Kyungsoo mumbles, mouthing along Jongin's jaw. When his lips reach the younger's ear, he leans in a little closer and whispers - 'But I wasn't jealous.' - before he pulls away and goes back to his side of the bed, happily retracting any contact between his body and Jongin's.

Jongin pouts, crawls over and settles on top of Kyungsoo, all his body weight on the elder. He rests his head against Kyungsoo's chest, and listens. 'I can hear your heartbeat.' he says, and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. 'It's going really fast. Is it because of me?'

'Maybe,' Kyungsoo concedes, before wrapping his arms around his husband's body. Jongin looked tough and cold sometimes, but really there was nothing he liked more than cuddling. Not, of course, that he would admit it.

'It is, though. You want me to tell you what I can hear?'
'Mm.'
'You were.'
'I was what?'
'Jealous.'

Jongin props his head up and grins at his husband. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and groans.

He shoves Jongin off when the younger dives in for a kiss.

'Was not.'