lost in the crowd (found by your side)

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 1673w

Prompt: random woman tries to flirt with jongin and soo doesnt think much about it cause he trusts jongin but the girls get angry and glares at woman? + prompt for your parents!au-- one of the girls' teachers start flirting with either kyungsoo or jongin at a parents' teachers meet because she didn't rly know abt kaisoo being a couple or smth and girl gets super defensive like STOP FLIRTING WITH MY FATHER

 

Jongin has always been a strong believer in the fact that life, with all its cons, has its fair shares of pros. Take, for instance, this setting: it’s Soojung and Jinri’s Parents’ Day at school, and both he and Kyungsoo have managed to wrangle the day free this year. The hall he’s standing in is crowded, filled with doting, concerned parents and excitedly nervous children, and it’s loud, and there are a lot of other people here - but, he supposes, an undeniable pro of the situation was that it was a good opportunity for him and Kyungsoo to get to know other parents.

Well, that, and the fact that they were going to be able to check up on their daughters’ progress at school. Jongin isn’t too worried about that bit - his daughters might not be at the top of their class, but they were doing well enough.

‘Hey,’ Kyungsoo murmurs, nudging his husband. ‘I see the English teacher. You wanna go and ask her about Jinri’s English grade?’ He points in the direction of a rather small woman, hair tied back in a sleek ponytail, with a white sundress and pink cardigan on. She’s chatting to another pair of parents, smiling pleasantly at them as she nods, and Jongin sighs. Dealing with teachers was tricky - Jongin was more used to dealing with non-friends in a professional work setting, and has been told, time and time again by a Kyungsoo with a haggard expression and weary voice that teachers are different, babe - you talk to them like that, they’re going to think you’re some kind of tiger dad, okay?

‘Okay,’ he says, linking his fingers with Kyungsoo’s. ‘Come on,’

‘Hold on there, fine sir,’ Kyungsoo says, snatching his hand away from Jongin’s. ‘I told the Math teacher I’d talk to her about Soojung’s progress. You can handle this one by yourself.’

Jongin groans inwardly. He takes a quick glance around the room and spots his daughter, catches her eye and motions her over. She skips happily towards him, curls her hand around his fingers. ‘What is it, Daddy?’ asks Jinri, tilting her head to look up at her father.

‘We’re going to go talk to your English teacher right now,’ says Jongin, about to make his way there when he stops. He looks down at his daughter. ‘What’s her name again?’

‘Ms Lee,’ replies Jinri. She tugs her father along to the teacher, who’s just finishing up with another couple and their child. The teacher smiles when she catches sight of Jinri.

‘Hi, Jinri!’ she says, bending a little at the waist to greet her student. ‘How are you doing today?’ she asks, accented English rolling easily off her tongue.

‘I’m fine, thank you,’ says Jinri, also in English, and she grins up at her father. ‘This is my Daddy, Ms Lee. Say hi, Daddy.’ The teacher’s eyes finally catch a glimpse of Jongin’s face, and her eyebrows rise just the slightest.

‘Um, hi,’ says Jongin, dipping his head a little. The exchange between his daughter and her teacher’s got him feeling a little flustered - his English is okay, but it wasn’t anywhere near good enough for him to even think of conversing with Ms Lee in it. ‘I - I’m sorry, but Korean is fine, right?’ he asks. His cheeks warm a little further when Jinri squeezes his hand.

The teacher lets out a short, polite laugh. ‘Yes, that’s fine,’ she says, in Korean now. ‘I just prefer conversing in English with my students as it gives them a better grasp of the language. I don’t believe in having them be good only on paper, you know!’ the laugh she lets out then is a little higher, a little lesssubtle, and Jongin just smiles sheepishly at her.

‘Yes - I was just wondering, how’s Jinri progressing in class? I’ve looked at her grades and they’re fine, but I just wanted to know if there’s anything in particular she needs to improve on?’ asks Jongin. Jinri has resorted to trying to crack each joint in his fingers, but it isn’t enough to distract him.

‘Yes, well - she’s progressing just fine, actually. The marks she gets are usually far above the average the class tends to score, so I wouldn’t be too worried about that,’ says the teacher. As she speaks she leans in just that much closer, but Jongin’s too busy taking in information to notice.

‘That’s good,’ he says, brows slowly knotting together. ‘But how about her weak areas? Surely there’s room for improvement there.’

‘A father who wants better over good, I like that,’ she says, her smile growing less and less professional. Jinri stops cracking her father’s fingers, a frown growing on her features. ‘Well, her pronunciation could be better - have her listen to native speakers a little more, watch more shows with them speaking, things like that. That should help her improve.’

Jongin nods, makes a mental note of the teacher’s suggestion. That shouldn’t be too hard - he’ll have Jinri’s pronunciation up to scratch in no time. ‘That sounds simple enough,’ he says, fixing Ms Lee with a large, genuine smile. ‘Thank you so much for the suggestion, and - um, thank you for taking such good care of Jinri. Very much appreciated.’

‘Well,’ says the teacher, slowly putting a hand on Jongin’s arm - ‘It’s a team effort, isn’t it? Parents and teachers should have a good relationship to make sure the child gets the support they need.’ Every word she says has Jongin nodding along obediently, completely unaware of how this must look to an outsider, to - well, to his own daughter, it seems.

Jongin feels someone roughly grab his left hand. Before he knows it, Jinri’s ing it right under her teacher’s nose, the ring on his finger catching the light as she does. ‘My Daddy’s a married man, Ms Lee,’ she says, not without hostility in her voice. The action jolts Jongin, incites worry in his stomach as the teacher’s expression changes and she backs away.

‘Jinri, that’s not - ’ he’s struggling to find the words, but he needs to fix this. ‘I’m sure Ms Lee didn’t - she’s your teacher, you shouldn’t speak to her like that!’ It’s not that he isn’t used to brushing off advances - he’s done it plenty of times.

It’s just that most of those advances were had with Kyungsoo right next to him, enough to fend off any unwanted suitors.

Also, none of those advances were from people who could potentially ruin his daughter’s academic records, so he’s understandably more flustered than he would be.

‘No, no - she’s right, I’m sorry, I had no idea,’ Ms Lee immediately takes a step back, distances herself from Jongin and Jinri. ‘I just - well, I saw you alone, and - I’m so sorry - ’

‘It’s fine, really, please don’t worry about it,’ says Jongin, tugging his hand out of Jinri’s grip. ‘I’m sorry she’s acting this way - Jinri, let’s go - and, really, thank you for taking such good care of her!’

He pulls his daughter along behind him, exits the hall and heads straight towards the parking lot where he’d parked his car. He finds Kyungsoo and Soojung waiting just by it, and Jinri sprints ahead of him to get to his husband.

‘Papa!’ she calls, hurtling towards Kyungsoo as fast as she can manage, ‘Papa, Ms Lee like likes Daddy and she tried to take him away from you!’

Kyungsoo glances up from his daughter, locks eyes with Jongin. ‘Did she, now?’ he asks, a small smile beginning to grow on his lips.

‘Yeah! She was all “A father who wants better over good, I like that,” and then she touched Daddy’s arm!’ wails Jinri, waving her arms about in her excitement. Her voice climbs a few pitches when she imitates her teacher’s voice, and Kyungsoo has to bite back the laugh that’s building on his lips. ‘I bet she would have taken Daddy all for herself, Papa, if I didn’t stop her!’

‘Yeah, Papa!’ echoes Soojung, looking absolutely scandalised.

Kyungsoo hums in agreement, pets his daughter on the head. Jinri doesn’t seem satisfied by her father’s reaction, though, and folds her arms as she looks up at him. ‘Papa, you don’t seem to be very upset about this,’ she says, her disappointment clear in her voice. ‘What if I wasn’t there! She would have taken Daddy from you!’

‘No, she wouldn’t,’ says Kyungsoo, smiling fondly at his daughter. ‘Daddy isn’t a thing to be stolen, angels. He’s a human being who can think, and who has feelings. If he really had to, he’d know what to do.’

‘Okay,’ mumbles Jinri, eyes downcast.

‘Besides, do you honestly think Daddy would let her do this to him?’ asks Kyungsoo, moving closer to his husband.

Soojung looks up at him inquiringly. ‘Do what, Papa?’ she asks.

Kyungsoo smirks up at his husband, lays a hand on the back of his neck, pulls him forcefully down to meet his lips. The kiss he gives Jongin borders on being inappropriate, but he restrains himself - even though the parking lot is all but void of their family, he doesn’t really want to gross his daughters out too much. He gives the inside of Jongin’s mouth a quick swipe with his tongue, and then he pulls away just enough to whisper a quick she couldn’t get you feeling like that in his husband’s ear, getting a nod in return.

Jongin belongs to and with him and their family, and no teacher - no one was ever going to change that.

He looks at his daughters, triumph etched clear on his features.

‘That.’