once upon a time, they wrote

come build our home, my love.

Rain falls gently against the window of a quiet coffeeshop in Seoul, drops of water landing in soft pitter-patters against cold glass. Kyungsoo’s eyes follow a particular raindrop as it makes its journey downward, until it disappears from sight. Jongin sits across him with a magazine laid out in front of him, some fancy financial weekly that Kyungsoo’s never bothered with.

‘What are you thinking about?’ Jongin asks. Kyungsoo turns away from the scene outside (or rather, on) the window and looks instead at his husband, and he notices that Jongin’s wearing the look of fondness he wears when he’s been silently staring at him. It makes the elder blush, even after all these years.

‘Jongin…’ Kyungsoo begins, before his voice gets lost in his throat. He’s been meaning to ask this question for a long time now, but something inside him makes him doubt whether this is the right time. The sight of Jongin in front of him, waiting for elaboration, tells him otherwise. He can do this. He takes a deep breath.

‘I want to start a family.’ 

Jongin’s eyes grow wide and his eyebrows disappear into his bangs as he stares at his husband. He’s surprised, as Kyungsoo thought he would be, but he can’t imagine why. It’s not like this is the first time the subject’s ever been broached. Jongin seems to dig into the chest of memories installed in the corner of his mind before he opens his mouth. Kyungsoo has wanted this, he remembers, for the longest time. 

‘You’re sure about this?’ Jongin asks slowly. The fact that he sounds like he’s about to agree has Kyungsoo’s heartbeats picking up. He nods vigorously. The only thing he’s felt more certain of was his decision to marry Jongin. He wants, more than anything, to start a family, and it’s a testament to how well Jongin knows his husband that he can see the desperate want in his eyes.

‘Then… I guess we’ll have to start looking into our options.’ Jongin says, a smile gently tugging on the corners of his lips.

‘You – are you serious?’ Kyungsoo asks, tone laced with disbelief. His mouth drops open, partly because Jongin agreed so readily, but mostly because he knows the younger always keeps to his word, and starting a family with Jongin – it’s all he’s ever wanted.

Jongin smirks as he lifts himself slightly off his chair to curl his fingers into the front of Kyungsoo’s shirt. He pulls his husband toward him and presses their lips together in one of those soft, passionate kisses that leaves Kyungsoo feeling heady – it’s the type of kiss that is a silent I love you.

‘We have the kind of love that can do amazing things, Soo. So let’s do it.’ 





They decide on adoption. Jongin had suggested surrogacy, but Kyungsoo flat out refused. ‘I don’t want to have any kind of part of me – or you – inside some woman, thanks,’ he’d said. Jongin had rolled his eyes and pushed adoption pamphlets at him instead, and the smile that lit up Kyungsoo’s face when he took them had the younger smiling, too. Kyungsoo’s happiness was always the most contagious kind. 

They pick out an agency quickly enough. The agent, Ms Lim, is kind and pleasant enough that Jongin and Kyungsoo find themselves even more eager to start their family. Jongin tells her they want as close to the full experience as they can get, and she brings them a stack of files of women still in their first trimester.

They pick out a young woman named Sooyoung.

‘She’s a good kid,’ Ms Lim says fondly, when Jongin and Kyungsoo relay their choice to her. ‘Smart and beautiful, if a little too trusting. Boyfriend ditched her just after she tested positive, poor girl. Doesn’t live with her parents, they’d kill her if they knew, she said. I’ll take her off the list.’ 

Ms Lim smiles and makes to leave, but Kyungsoo’s hand shoots out to stop her. ‘Wait, please – ’ Kyungsoo says, ignoring Jongin’s murmur of baby what are you doing. ‘Is there… Is there any kind of way that we can make contact with her? Like – there isn’t some sort of law or company policy that’ll make that impossible, is there?’ 

‘You want to get to know the mother of the child you’re going to adopt?’ Ms Lim asks. Her tone is incredulous, like she’d never heard of such a thing happening before, but Kyungsoo just nods resolutely. Ms Lim looks like she’s assessing the pros and cons of allowing Kyungsoo’s request, and the latter’s afraid that she’ll say no.

‘Please, you said it yourself: she doesn’t have anyone else to turn to.  She’s about to give us the most precious gift anyone ever could – please, let us hold her hand through this. She doesn’t have anyone else,’ Kyungsoo says. His voice is pleading and his eyes are sincere, and he sees the worry leave Ms Lim as a smile carves itself on her face.

‘I’ll see what I can do.’ says Ms Lim. She exits the office and Kyungsoo sighs in relief before Jongin’s suddenly straddling him, hands fisted in the front of his shirt. He presses a long, long kiss against Kyungsoo’s lips, pushes his tongue in to taste Kyungsoo’s. When they break away their foreheads are pressed together and their chests are heaving up and down, electricity from Jongin’s kiss short-circuiting Kyungsoo’s ability to speak. The younger smiles, his voice coming out in a ragged whisper.

‘How did I ever deserve a heart like yours?’




‘Do you think I’m dressed decently enough?’
‘Soo, she’s not going to care,’
‘Easy for you to say! All you’re wearing is your old tshirt and a pair of jeans that I haven’t washed in ages and you look gorgeous!’
‘I know, right.’ 

Kyungsoo stops his pacing to turn and send his husband an unamused glare. He’s in a button down and a pair of slacks and Jongin barely stifles the giggle that’s bubbling up in his throat. It really isn’t his fault Kyungsoo looks so cute when he’s that nervous. ‘Calm down,’ Jongin says, lowering his voice just enough so that Kyungsoo’s heartbeats slow. 

‘What if she takes one look at us and changes her mind?’ Kyungsoo asks. Jongin tugs him toward their bed, sits down on it in front of him as he begins to his husband’s shirt. ‘What if she absolutely hates us, we can’t possibly take her baby!’ his shirt falls away and Jongin stuffs a tshirt over his head, tugging it down before he speaks.

‘She’s not going to hate us, Soo. There’s nothing for her to hate,’ Jongin says, getting to work on his husband’s pants. ‘You’re basically offering to be her friend, and who doesn’t want friends?’ He works the pants down and tosses them aside, dresses his husband in his favourite jeans instead. ‘We’re going to be fine.’

Kyungsoo almost believes him.

Two hours (and a very heavy lunch) later, Jongin and Kyungsoo find themselves completely at ease with Sooyoung. She’s just barely showing, and neither man wants to offend her, but they can’t help but sneak a glance at her belly every chance they get. Our baby’s in there is all they can think. The thought is bizarre. 

‘I’m so glad you guys offered to get to know me,’ Sooyoung says. ‘The agency told me that we’d only be meeting for formalities and that’s it. When Ms Lim contacted me and said you wanted to be friends… I was really touched. Cried all over the floor, stupid hormones.’ the three of them laugh, and all the anxiety Kyungsoo felt previously almost disappears.

Almost, but not quite.

‘I need to go to the bathroom. Excuse me,’ Jongin says. He gets up and heads toward the washroom, leaving Kyungsoo alone at the table with Sooyoung. She eyes him as if she’s trying to read right through him, and suddenly he doesn’t feel all that relaxed anymore. He wonders if he is a code she’s trying to crack, and he can’t decide if it’d be a better move to open up completely or go on system lockdown. She doesn’t give him time to decide.

‘Jongin tells me you’ve been a little worried?’ Sooyoung asks. She speaks gently and only hints at a question, and Kyungsoo can’t help but imagine her using that tone of voice on a stubborn toddler. The stubborn toddler he’s going to take away from her. ‘You can talk to me, you know. I really do want to be friends,’ she adds. 

‘I’m… I feel guilty.’ Kyungsoo says. He watches as a gentle smile hugs the corners of Sooyoung’s lips, watches as it caresses the curl of her eyes and the curves of her cheeks. She looks so ready to be a mother, and Kyungsoo feels terrible about it. ‘It’s just that – I don’t know. People always tell me that a baby to a mother is something so precious and so beautiful and – and looking at you now, you’re so… Soft. Gentle and happy, exact mother material. And I’m – I’m taking that from you.’ 

Sooyoung stops smiling and presses her lips together, a hand coming down to caress her belly. Seconds pass in silence, and Kyungsoo’s almost certain he’s convinced her to keep the baby. The thought both relieves and terrifies him. He’s mentally throwing himself off a cliff for thinking that all those things were the right things to say when he feels hands cover his, soft, female ones squeezing them gently. 

‘Every baby is the light of their parents’ lives,’ Sooyoung says, eyes beginning to tear up. ‘But I just can’t be a parent. Not yet. Kyungsoo – you and Jongin share something special. Hell, I’ve only known you for two hours and you’re already the sweetest couple I’ve ever met,’ she laughs a little at this point, but tears are already streaming down her face. 

This is when Jongin returns, eyebrows raising when he sees their joined hands. He doesn’t say anything, of course. He knows Kyungsoo. ‘What’s wrong, Sooyoung?’ he asks, tone dripping with concern when he notices all the tears. ‘Are you alright?’

‘I’m fine, I’m fine,’ Sooyoung says, quickly swiping a tissue over her eyes. When they’re dry again she smiles. ‘I was just thanking Kyungsoo, actually,’ she says. Jongin and Kyungsoo exchange confused glances, the latter shaking his head gently. 

‘You’re going to give this baby a life I can only dream of for him or her. And for that – I don’t think I’ll ever be able to repay you.’




Weeks pass in a blur of stacks of paperwork and doctor’s appointments. Sooyoung’s belly seems to expand tenfold every time they meet with her, and Jongin’s slowly starting to panic. He comes home from work early one day, and Kyungsoo gets in half an hour later, only to find his husband face down on their bed. He’s still in his work clothes – a rarity, considering Jongin has a routine and he hates messing it up – and there are colour swatches lying right next to him, catalogues opened to pages of shade upon shade of blues and pinks.

‘Jongin? Jongin, honey – I’m home,’ Kyungsoo murmurs. He’s trying his hardest not to smile, but it’s impossible when Jongin slowly raises his head and half-lidded eyes meet his. Jongin looks nothing short of a child awoken a little too early from his nap, and Kyungsoo can’t believe he’ll be the father of his child. ‘Hey,’ he breathes. 

‘We need to find out if the baby’s a boy or a girl,’ Jongin says abruptly. There is no undertone of sleep laced into his words, no grogginess to suggest he’d ever been asleep, and Kyungsoo knows that Jongin’s spent the past few minutes thinking this through thoroughly. It doesn’t stop the bubbles of anger emerging just under his skin. ‘We have to get the baby’s room done, and we can’t if we don’t know the .’ 

‘We’ve been through this,’ Kyungsoo says, teeth gritted. ‘We agreed we’d wait, remember? Make it a surprise.’

‘Yeah, well, I’ve changed my mind. Sooyoung’s seven months along, Soo. We have less than two months to do up the baby’s room and get it ready for – our baby, and I can’t do that if I don’t know if it’s going to be a boy or a girl.’ Jongin says all of this evenly, but Kyungsoo’s ears still turn red.

‘Look, Jongin – Sooyoung and I already agreed –’ he begins, trying to keep his tone stable, but at the mention of Sooyoung’s name, Jongin visibly bristles.

‘Yeah! You and Sooyoung. Soo – she’s not going to be the one who has to pull together a whole room in a week’s time when all of this is over. She’s not going to be the one who has to stay up late every night just to do something that could have been done earlier, had you not insisted on waiting,’ Jongin spits, frustration propelling him off the bed, angry eyes on his husband.

‘She’s still the mother of this child –’
‘She said it herself, she’s not ready to be a parent! I’m not saying find out and tell her, Soo, if it means that much to her, you can keep it a secret – ’
‘We’re supposed to be in this together! We – we’re her friends, Jongin, and this is her child –’
‘The kid’s my kid, too! I’m just as much their father as you are, Kyungsoo! And I don’t want to bring the kid back here to an empty room, goddammit,’ 

‘You know what?’ Kyungsoo’s shaking whole body, ears still burning red. He’s not shouting, and his voice is soft and dangerous. ‘You do what you want, alright? You go find out the of the baby, if it means that much to you. You go ahead and do that.’ he backs out of their bedroom and snatches his coat off the hook by the front door, fishing for his keys as he goes.

‘And just where do you think you’re going?’ Jongin hollers, taking long strides so as not to lose sight of Kyungsoo. Anger rolls in waves breaking on the shores of his mind, and watching Kyungsoo leave just increases the amplitude. ‘Kyungsoo!’

Kyungsoo throws their front door open and whirls around, eyes wide and wild and Jongin almost flinches. 

(Almost, but not quite.)

‘I,’ he begins, ‘I am going out to buy our future child a soft toy. At least that way something will be ready for them when they’re brought home, and – oh, would you look at that! I don’t even have to find out the to get this done!’ and the door slams and Jongin is left alone in an empty apartment, chest heaving, fury cartwheeling through his mind.

Jongin takes a cold shower to calm his nerves, and to think things through. He knows he wasn’t being fair. It wasn’t just Sooyoung and Kyungsoo’s decision to keep the of the baby a surprise, he’d agreed too. By the time his skin is scraped clean his heart is bruised in another way, but he knows better than to call Kyungsoo. He still needs time to calm down.

Dinner is cold ramen and leftover salmon, and by then Jongin’s hands are still itching with the need to get something productive done. He glances at the flat-packed box that had just come in last night from the furniture store lying on the floor in the corner of their bedroom, and he decides he might as well. Cribs are uni and the baby needs one, after all.

The front door unlocks an hour or so later, and Kyungsoo can hear the sound of running water and not much else echoing throughout the dimly lit expanse of their apartment. He lets out a tired breath – fighting with Jongin is never his favourite thing to do – before he makes his way to the source of the sound, dumping the stuffed giraffe he’d just bought on their sofa as he goes.

He finds his husband washing out a wound, blood on a nail left lying next to the incomplete frame of their baby’s crib. He pads softly into the bathroom and silently wraps his arms around his husband’s waist, rests his forehead between his shoulder blades. ‘Hey,’ he murmurs softly, just to see if he can get Jongin to speak to him. Just to feel the reassuring rumble of his voice escaping him. 

‘Hey,’ Jongin replies. He wraps a bandage around his wound and grips the sides of the sink. ‘You’re back,’ he says.

‘Yeah. I can’t be without you for very long,’ Kyungsoo chuckles. Jongin is his biggest weakness, and being without him is something he’ll never get used to. Walking down the streets of Seoul on a Friday night, when lonely hearts scour them in search of love…  Kyungsoo couldn’t get home fast enough. He never wants to be lonely again.

Jongin grimaces. ‘I know.’ 

He unlinks Kyungsoo’s hands from where they rest on his stomach and turns around. His eyes meet the ones he’s known for years that he wants to spend the rest of his life staring into, and he smiles. ‘Let’s go to bed, Soo.’

Kyungsoo lets himself be led to their bed and crawls in next to Jongin, rests his head where it belongs just above the younger’s heart in his chest. He fingers the hem of Jongin’s shirt as he listens to Jongin’s breathing, the pace of his heartbeats, wonders how their feellings can be so in sync when their hearts beat out of rhythm. ‘Jongin?’ he mumbles. There’s a question he wants to ask, so he rolls himself off to the side, flat on his back and staring at the ceiling. ‘Do you – do you think we’re ready for this?’

His words hang in the air, an ominous question that deserves an answer. Jongin looks over at his husband and notices how Kyungsoo isn’t properly breathing and how his eyes are glazed over by a film of fear, so he takes a moment to find the proper words. ‘Becoming parents?’ he asks. Kyungsoo nods. ‘No. Nobody ever is.’ 

He reaches into the space between them and interlaces their fingers, draws comforting circles on the back of Kyungsoo’s hand with his thumb. ‘I guess you’re right,’ Kyungsoo relents. He looks into Jongin’s eyes again, feels himself almost drowning in a sea of dark brown and future prospects. ‘But we’ll be okay, right?’ 

Jongin props himself up on one arm to bend over Kyungsoo and plant a kiss on his forehead. It’s sweet and it’s innocent and none of the rest of their body parts are touching, it’s so sincere. ‘Yeah. We’ll be alright.’




The call comes on a Wednesday afternoon. Kyungsoo is seated in his cubicle, coding for a new client when his phone lights up. 

Minutes later he’s hollering at his boss that he has to ‘go, my baby’s about to be born!’, all the while dialling Jongin’s number, scampering down the stairwell instead of waiting for the elevator because nothing seems to move fast enough when his child’s on its way into the world. ‘Jongin!’ he yells, the moment his husband picks up. ‘Sooyoung’s in labour! Hospital! Meet you there!’ 

He drives roughly ten kilometres, foot stuck to the accelerator and he probably commits about twenty traffic offences, but he figures it doesn’t matter. He’s becoming a father today, and his child needs him there, traffic laws be damned. His tires are screeching rounds of burning rubber when he gets his car parked, but all he can think about is his baby, his baby boy or little girl coming into the world somewhere in the floors above him.

He crashes into a solid body when he reaches the operating theatre, a body his arms instinctively wrap around. It’s Jongin, and his tie is loosened and his hair is dishevelled, and the first thing he does when he sees Kyungsoo is mumble, ‘I’m going to be a father today. A father, with a baby, everything, holy .’ 

A doctor emerging from the operating theatre doesn’t give Kyungsoo a chance to respond. ‘She’s in full on labour now, and she needs someone there with her. Which one of you is the father?’ she asks curtly, eyes darting between Jongin and Kyungsoo. 

‘I am,’ they say at once. 

‘Well I can only allow one of you in there and this baby is on its way, so I suggest you decide and you do it fast,’ she says. 

Jongin pushes Kyungsoo away from him, and the latter is too astonished to look hurt. ‘Soo – Soo, you have to go in there. Our baby needs you, Sooyoung needs you – you’ve been waiting for this moment all your life – go,’ he urges.

Before the doctor can tug him along, Kyungsoo’s hand shoots out to encircle Jongin’s wrist and he gives him a long, long kiss. ‘No. I’ve been waiting for you my whole life. This baby’s the icing on the cake for me,’ 

‘I love you,’ 
‘I love you too.’

Hours pass and all Jongin can do is abuse the vending machine, exhaust his shoes as he paces up and down the sterile hospital corridor. Nurses offer him a drink and some magazines, but he turns them away. When he finally feels like he’s had enough, he goes right up to the door of the operating theatre, hands in a fist ready to ask what’s taking so long when the door flies open and almost breaks his nose. 

Kyungsoo emerges, looking dazed. He walks right into Jongin’s chest, seemingly oblivious of the bodily harm he’d almost caused his husband, buries his face in Jongin’s broad chest. 

‘It’s a girl.’




They name her Sunyoung. ‘In honour of her beautiful mother,’ Kyungsoo says, in the last text he sends Sooyoung. She’d all but disappeared from their lives after she’d recovered enough to go home, and Jongin and Kyungsoo figure it’s for the best. She can always find them if she really wanted to. 

Sunyoung took a little longer to come home. She had jaundice and infections and Jongin and Kyungsoo had lost so much sleep on those nights when they’d just stood watch over her, so when the doctors tell them it’s safe to take their little girl home, they both let out a long sigh of relief.

The first night falls in a curtain of stars that seem to shine brighter, under a blanket of night sky that seems so much darker. Kyungsoo had finally managed to get Sunyoung down for the night mere minutes before, and both he and Jongin collapse into bed the moment Sunyoung’s tucked up in her crib.

Kyungsoo wakes up an hour later to rumpled bedsheets and no warm body lying next to his. ‘Jongin?’ he mumbles, muscles lethargic as he tries to sit up in bed. He spots his husband standing over their daughter’s crib, and a sleepy smile plays across his lips as he makes his way next to his husband.

‘Everything’s going to be different from now on, isn’t it?’ Kyungsoo asks. Sunyoung is small and pink and sleeping soundly, and Kyungsoo thinks he could stand here watching her forever. 

Jongin shrugs. ‘Yeah, I guess. Less sleep, less peace and quiet, less ,’ he mentions sneakily, and Kyungsoo reaches out to pinch his side. Before he catches hold of Jongin’s flesh, though, the younger manages to steal a kiss from him that leaves him breathless, and Kyungsoo forgets what Jongin had done wrong. He forgets all his fears, all his insecurities. Jongin whispers something into his ear.

‘But I’ll always love you the same.’

Always. Always… Is enough. 




Author’s Note: 
Hello! Heh this is the part where it all began (as a family) for Jongin and Kyungsoo in this verse. So to write this I sort of had to have a vague idea of what Kyungsoo and Jongin’s careers are, and my conclusion is that Kyungsoo works for a web design/developing company, and before Luna (Sunyoung… It’s too long ok y’all know who I’m talking about) was born, he used to spend all his working hours in the office. Now he takes advantage of his work-from-home benefits more often, but there are days when he has to go into the office.

Jongin is in finance. That is all I don’t think I want to elaborate further my mother had a very boring job

Yeah so… Filled the prompt! Drop a comment or a tweet or you could take a listen to this idk guaranteed to make your day, i think

This was somewhat easier to write because I've got a new cousin and I legit spent half an hour just staring at the girl sleep orz

Also this is completely irrelevant but my Destiny cover has reached 770 plays i'm cry 


Also I'm thinking of putting up a masterpost to list out this AU in chronological order hm

Thank you for reading! :)


twitter | ask.fm