so promise me (forever)

come build our home, my love.

Word Count: 3189w

Prompt: heyy! i'm the one who asked about kaisoo proposal. and yes! i meant it in relation to parents!au. :D

 

Snow cascades down upon campus grounds in flurries of white, sticking to the soles of students’ shoes, slowing their movements considerably. Jongin has nothing but his Economics book in his backpack, but still feels the weight of the world on his shoulders as he soldiers on to his next class. Economics bores him more than watching paint dry, and if it weren’t for the fact that this was his only class with Kyungsoo this semester, he wouldn’t even bother showing up.

He arrives ten minutes late (but still, five minutes earlier than the professor) to a lecture hall that’s teeming with students clutching pages of assignments and notes. Jongin’s own had been typed up, printed out and submitted the night before, and he almost wants to chuckle when he sees everyone else frantically trying to staple their work together.

His eyes scan the crowd for a mop of black hair above a pair of startled wide eyes, and they almost immediately find Kyungsoo. The elder is frowning slightly, lips pursed up as he arranges his papers, stacking them neatly before leaning towards Baekhyun and having him staple them together. The satisfied look on Kyungsoo’s face when he puts his assignment down to admire has Jongin’s heart swelling, and the voice inside his head saying damn, you’re whipped. He decides he doesn’t care.

‘Oh - Jongin! Up here!’ Kyungsoo calls, as if said boy hasn’t been staring at him for a good minute or two already. Kyungsoo gestures to the seat next to him, which is empty, and Jongin grins at his boyfriend before making his way up to him. ‘Sent in your assignment yet?’ asks Kyungsoo.

‘Yeah. Dropped it off last night,’ Jongin answers. He pulls out his laptop and switches it on. Kyungsoo resumes his chat with Baekhyun, and Jongin absent-mindedly threads their fingers together. There is no mistaking the slight rush of colour in Kyungsoo’s cheeks, and Jongin chuckles quietly to himself. They’d been together close to five years now, high school sweethearts blossoming into steady college boyfriends, and neither can really see a life without the other.

Jongin is in his second year of university, Kyungsoo in his final, filling up the rest of his year with electives, like this one. The group of girls sitting in front of them are squealing loudly about something Jongin wouldn’t usually pay attention to - but when one of them mentions the wordspromise ring and holds up her hand to show her friends, he finds himself subconsciously leaning forward.

‘Yeah, he gave it to me last night!’ the girl with the ring says, excitement evident in her eyes and the way she practically squeals her vowels. ‘He said that his brother proposed to his girlfriend a couple of weeks ago, and it got him thinking. He said at this point, he couldn’t imagine living life without me, and he said he knew my parents would blow a gasket if he really proposed. So he gave me this ring, he said, as a promise that he’ll be there for me forever.’

A loud chorus of awwwwwws wafts up from the girls into Jongin’s hearing and it’s at that point that he leans back into his chair. He regards Kyungsoo’s hand in his for a moment, how it’s small and pale and the complete opposite of Jongin’s, but it still fits with his perfectly. He can’t help but entertain the thoughts that dance around in his mind courtesy of the girl and her ring - thinks he’s ridiculous, for a minute, until he decides he isn’t.

The truth is, he’d been with Kyungsoo for a very long time, had known when they’d first held hands that he loved him. Jongin was stoic, cold, his heart so far out of his own reach that sometimes he felt he probably didn’t even have one - but all of that changed the moment he met Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo, with his heart-shaped smile and his kind eyes and the way he seemed to love and care genuinely about all his friends - this Kyungsoo,his Kyungsoo had managed to bring a wrecking ball to the walls that surrounded Jongin’s heart.

He never feels as free as he does when he’s next to Kyungsoo, never feels that all is right with the world unless his arm is wrapped around the elder’s waist.

The professor walks in, greying hair hastily slicked back and his glasses perched atop his head, and promptly gets ambushed by stacks of completed assignments. Kyungsoo leans forward to pass his along to the front, and when the professor has all the assignments counted, he settles his head on Jongin’s shoulder. It’s routine - Kyungsoo just needs to know enough to pass, and Jongin actually has to study this as part of his major, so neither of them fail - and it opens the floodgates of contentment in Jongin’s heart that can only be unlocked by a certain smiling boy with beautiful brown eyes.

Kyungsoo falls asleep not five minutes later, and Jongin is left to take notes (and responsibility for their grade in this class) by himself. It should be uncomfortable, trying to type with Kyungsoo’s head on his shoulder, but Jongin’s learned that when you’re in love, you tend to overlook the little things. The glint of the ring on the girl’s finger catches Jongin’s eye.

Sometimes, it takes other people’s happiness to spurn us on in pursuit of our own, and Jongin can’t keep his eyes off that ring.

He smiles to himself before he turns his head to bury his nose in Kyungsoo’s hair, inhales deeply and presses a gentle kiss to the elder’s scalp.

He knows what he has to do.




‘I have no idea what my professor was thinking - “Capture the moment,” he says, for our final project. What kind of moments am I gonna get from this place?’ Baekhyun grumbles, dramatically flinging his body down onto the tabletop. Jongin and Kyungsoo exchange unimpressed glances, and continue munching their food. Jongin gives Kyungsoo a bite of his burger, and the latter smiles gratefully at him just as Baekhyun resurfaces.

Baekhyun watches them with his lip curled up in disgust.

‘You guys are so gross. Also, entirely unhelpful. I’m having an educational crisis here. My entire life could depend on the kind of advice my two most reliable companions give me - and you guys. Are feeding each other. Lunch.’ Baekhyun says. Kyungsoo blinks at him before putting a piece of chicken in Jongin’s mouth, and the latter chews on it appreciatively. Baekhyun lets out an anguished groan.

‘Calm down, Baek,’ Kyungsoo reprimands. ‘Your professor wouldn’t have given you a final project that’s impossible. Didn’t you say he’s completely soft? You won’t have to do much to impress him,’ he reasons. Jongin nods. ‘You’ll come up with something, I know you will. And if you don’t - I’ll let you film me making out with Jongin. That’s a moment.’

‘The most repulsive one I’ve ever heard of,’ Baekhyun murmurs, shuddering at the very thought.

Kyungsoo grins, and then steals a glance at his watch. ‘, I’m gonna be late,’ he says, and then he’s gathering up all his things into his backpack to leave. ‘See you later, baby,’ Kyungsoo murmurs, pressing a quick kiss to Jongin’s lips before he’s gone.

‘“Baby”,’ Baekhyun spits. ‘Who even calls each other that? In public, no less!’ he complains. Jongin rolls his eyes.

‘You won’t be complaining so much about us once I tell you I have a plan to save you weeks of worrying about that project of yours,’ Jongin says. He leans in conspiratorially, and Baekhyun follows on instinct. ‘Listen - what I’m about to tell you could save your , so you have to promise me you won’t breathe a word about what I’m going to say to another living soul. Got it?’

Baekhyun nods obediently, curiosity making his ears perk up. Jongin gulps, suddenly nervous about the decision he’d spent long nights awake mulling over - days of going without sleep just thinking if he was making the right choice. And yet, all along, the answer remained unchanged.

When Fate offers you happily ever after on a platter, you aren’t very likely to deny her.

He takes a deep breath. ‘I’m going to ask Kyungsoo to marry me.’

‘WHAT?’ Baekhyun splutters, and Jongin’s eyes fly wide open in panic. ‘You’re going TO PROPOSE?’ he half-yells, and Jongin grips his shoulder, hard, trying to get him to shut up. Half the cafe is looking at them now, and he tries to hide his face in the collar of his jacket.

‘Baekhyun, like seriously, shut the up.’
‘A PROPOSAL! OF MARRIAGE?’
‘Yes, alright? Tone it down, for ’s sake -’
‘ASKING HIM TO MARRY YOU?’
‘Baekhyun - look I know exactly where you sleep and in what position, I am fairly certain that it wouldn’t be too difficult to make your death look accidental.’

Baekhyun leans back. He shuts up.

Jongin tries his best to sink into his chair, with no luck. He thanks the stars above when the population of the cafe finally decide to go back about their own business, and the only eyes on him are Baekhyun’s.

‘You - you’re really serious about this?’ Baekhyun asks. His voice is lowered now, tone void of any joking lilt. ‘You’re going to ask Kyungsoo to marry you?’

Jongin nods, not missing a beat. ‘Never been more certain in my life.’

Baekhyun looks him square in the eye, before a smile curls his lips in a way that has Jongin’s bones shaking.

‘Then Do Kyungsoo better watch out - because you and I? We’re going to give him the proposal of a lifetime.’

Jongin almost chokes on his coffee.

‘We?’




‘I don’t understand why this has to be in an old classroom,’ Jongin whines, fingers struggling to attach a photo of him and Kyungsoo on one of their dates to a piece of string. ‘Isn’t a garden more romantic? Also a lot less work?’

‘Jongin, seriously. Gardens are so cliche, everyone seems to want to propose in those things. Now, a classroom - that, you can control. I’m not going to ruin my shot just because it suddenly starts to snow in your eyes,’ Baekhyun clarifies. He has about twenty photos done already, and he scowls at Jongin’s five. ‘I only get one shot at this, and it has to be perfect.’

‘Right, because it’s all about you.’ Jongin mumbles.

‘What was that?’
‘Nothing!’

The door swings open to admit a Junmyeon carrying a box of candles, struggling to hold it open under the box’s weight. Baekhyun and Jongin watch him with blank faces, neither moving to offer any help. Junmyeon struggles until he’s finally inside the room, brow coated in sweat, and he all but throws the box onto the nearest table.

‘Hey! Watch it, those candles are important for the atmosphere tonight!’ Baekhyun scolds, rushing over to make sure the candles are still intact. ‘Thank god they aren’t broken. You should be a little more careful with the props, we can’t break them.’

‘You should be a little more careful with your face, I could break that,’ Junmyeon mutters.

‘What was that?’
‘Nothing!’
‘Why are you calling my wedding proposal decorations props?’

Baekhyun’s eyes go from Jongin to Junmyeon. ‘You guys are so alike sometimes it’s actually pretty weird,’ he says, dismissing the thought in his mind and continuing to set up. He turns his head in Jongin’s direction. ‘Of course they aren’t props, Jongin. Sorry,’

Jongin rolls his eyes and climbs the step ladder, Junmyeon standing below him with the photos in his hands. He tapes the strings to the ceiling, climbs down, moves the ladder, climbs back up and repeats the process. By the time he’s done, there are about 30 photos of his and Kyungsoo’s relationship from inception up until that photo Baekhyun took last week in front of the cafeteria hanging from the ceiling, and Jongin’s hit with the weight of what he’s about to do.

Weeks of planning coming down to what’s going to happen tonight, years of love culminating in the sole ring that lies in a box Jongin has hidden in his sock drawer. Moments like this he’s thankful that he didn’t get a room with Kyungsoo this semester. He doesn’t know how he would have explained all the late nights out with Baekhyun, planning the perfect proposal.

‘You alright?’ Junmyeon asks, hand on Jongin’s shoulder as they admire their work. Fairy lights and sheets of cloth hang along the walls, everything inside the small classroom looking soft and romantic as Baekhyun tastefully arranges the candles. ‘It’s a big step you’re taking, after all.’

‘Yeah,’ Jongin agrees. He turns to face Junmyeon. ‘I’m fine. Kyungsoo’s the love of my life, and I want to spend the rest of it with him by my side. This is all just another step towards that,’ Jongin says. A smile creeps onto his face, one that Junmyeon mirrors and Baekhyun rolls his eyes so hard at he is actually afraid they might fall out.

‘Can you guys not be soppy right now. Seriously.’ Baekhyun complains. ‘Junmyeon, do you have the iPod speakers you promised to bring? And the playlist?’

Junmyeon nods, and he goes to help Baekhyun set up the music for tonight. Jongin just stares at the room a little more, never feeling more sure of himself than he does in this moment. In just a few hours, he will ask Kyungsoo to marry him, to spend eternity by his side, and he can’t help the feeling of excitement that rises up from the pits of his stomach and almost makes him sing with anticipation.

He can’t wait.




‘You’re sure you have the ring?’
‘Yes, Baek, it’s right here. In my pocket. Where it was when you asked me five minutes ago.’
‘I’m just making sure. Let me fix your hair.’
‘Fine.’
‘You look good, Kim Jong.’
‘Not too bad yourself, Byun Baek. And thank you, by the way,’
‘For what?’
‘For all the help setting up all of this.’
‘No problem, young one. Let’s go get you a wife.’
‘Husband.’
‘Whatever.’




Junmyeon and Jongdae shuffle along awkwardly behind Kyungsoo, a hand each on his shoulders, a blindfold tied around his head. They guide him slowly in the direction of the classroom, and stop when they’re just outside.

‘Are we supposed to unblind him now?’ Junmyeon asks uncertainly.

Jongdae shrugs. He yells out a ‘Not yet, it’s just Jongdae coming in!’ before Kyungsoo hears the opening and closing of a door, some scuffling and muffled voices, and then another opening and closing and Jongdae’s right next to him again. ‘We’re supposed to open the blindfold when he’s inside,’ Jongdae informs.

‘What is going on in the first place?’ demands Kyungsoo loudly. ‘Why am I blindfolded at all? Are you going to haze me or something, because this is already my final year and it’s a little too late for that.’

‘Oh my god, shut up, you’re going to ruin the effect,’ Jongdae mumbles, and the door opens again and this time, slow, soft piano music floats up into Kyungsoo’s ears. He tries to feel around for anything suspicious, but only air greets his fingers, curls itself around them and Kyungsoo feels utterly lost.

That is, until Jongdae pulls the blindfold off him, and Kyungsoo can only gasp. Photographs of the past five years of his life with Jongin smile back at him, bathed in a soft yellow glow from the candles all around the room and the lights. Junmyeon and Jongdae are smiling at him when he turns around to ask them what’s going on, and Jongdae only points a finger in the opposite direction. Kyungsoo’s vision follows.

Jongin steps out from a corner of the room with a smile stretched on his lips, hands behind his back. He’s wearing a simple black tshirt and grey jeans, and his hair looks especially good tonight. Kyungsoo gapes at him.

‘Hey, baby,’ Jongin says, coming to stand right in front of his boyfriend, hands still securely behind his back, smile still not lost from his lips. ‘You look good tonight.’

‘Jongin what - what’s happening. Like I got snatched by Junmyeon and Jongdae and - what’s all this?’ Kyungsoo asks, bewildered, and it only makes Jongin chuckle.

Jongin presses a kiss to Kyungsoo’s forehead, backs away a little, takes a deep breath and gets down on one knee. Kyungsoo’s hands fly up to his mouth, and he realises, even before Jongin pulls out the ring, what’s about to happen. ‘Jongin - you - I mean, now?’

‘Do Kyungsoo,’ Jongin begins, completely ignoring his boyfriend’s words as he takes one hand in his. ‘I’ve loved you from the very start. You know I’m not good with words, and this will probably cost you three months’ worth, but I know you’ll understand where I’m coming from.

‘I am not perfect. I have trouble telling people how I feel, I’m too detached, and I’m - let’s face it - the hugest nerd on the planet. And you - you’re funny, adorable, loving, you always know what to say, how to say, when to say it - you’re the complete opposite of me, you’re as close to perfect as I’m ever going to get. When I’m with you I can’t care less about what other people might think, or say, or feel about me - when I’m with you, you’re all that matters, you are my world. You’re my first love, and I want to make you my last. So. Will you marry me?’

Kyungsoo is shaking now, unable to move, to respond at all, and it takes a light prod on the back from Jongdae to trigger a reaction. ‘Yes,’ he says, breathlessly, tears streaming down his cheeks as he watches Jongin put the ring on his finger. ‘Yes yes yes yes yes,’ he murmurs, and when Jongin straightens up, he throws his arms around the younger and claims his lips with his own, Jongin’s hands naturally settling on his waist.

Somewhere behind him he can hear Baekhyun say ‘And CUT!’ followed by a few gagging noises, but Kyungsoo can ignore it, for now. He pulls away, presses the side of his face into Jongin’s chest as he holds up his hand to admire the ring. ‘Thank you,’ he mumbles, eyes closing when Jongin buries his face in his hair and smiling when he feels the kiss he presses to the top of his head. It’s a habit Kyungsoo hopes Jongin will never grow out of.





(Baekhyun gets a 98.)