hit that high

come build our home, my love.

Word Count: 428w

Prompt: pls make parents!au prompt about sunyoung and kyungsoo singing huhu because it's so precious ;;;A;;; thank you so much D:

 

'A little higher, honey,' Kyungsoo coaxes, trying his best to soften his tone despite the roughness of his voice. He's been singing himself hoarse for the past 45 minutes, and he honestly just wants to take a break, but he knows Sunyoung won't let him. She's softspoken and the most ladylike of his three daughters, but he also knows she's more persistent. Quiet determination is a trait Kyungsoo's certain his daughter didn't learn from him, and he silently curses Jongin for rubbing off on her.

'Give me a second, Papa,' Sunyoung says. She's 15 and is just about to bloom into a full grown woman, but Kyungsoo forgets all of that as he watches his daughter innocently reach for the glass of warm water that's set atop the piano, because all he can see is her large eyes and her perfect posture, things she'd retained from her childhood. Sometimes, he misses being able to carry her with one arm. 'I'm ready, Papa,' she says.

Kyungsoo nods and plays the chords again, sharp ears listening intently for Sunyoung's tone and pitch. They get to the difficult part of the song all too soon, and Kyungsoo holds his breath - Sunyoung executes the note flawlessly, a vein throbbing on the side of her neck, and Kyungsoo can't contain the grin that makes its way to his mouth. The song ends and Sunyoung's grinning and breathless, 'Again, Papa,' falling all too quickly from her lips.

Kyungsoo obliges and the melody starts up again, Sunyoung's voice illustrating the music with her words. He joins in with her, lending his voice to hers to create a melody, and Kyungsoo thinks this is his favourite thing to do. Age my come and youth may leave, but he thinks he'll always be able to sing with his eldest baby girl, and nothing will take that away from him.

The song reaches its zenith and then there are arms draping themselves loosely around Kyungsoo's neck, a warmth pressed close to his back and a head resting atop his own. He doesn't have to look to know it's Jongin. When the song dies down, Jongin obliges as the adoring audience, clapping with vigour and revelling in his daughter and husband's smiles. 'That was great, you two,' he says, pressing kisses to both their temples. 'Really. Your voices sounded amazing.'

'Thank you, Daddy,' Sunyoung says, positively glowing. Another voice yells itself into the room, and the three of them see Jinri passing by -

'Yeah, now can you please practice a new song? You've played that one this entire week, I'm going to explode!'