strings in colour, strings of you

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 553w

Prompt: hi emma ^^ I have a little prompt for you~ how about kaisoo taking the girls to the carnival for the first time ^~^ I hope you have the loveliest of days!

 

It’s a nice day out, Jongin thinks, as he watches the clouds roll by. They’re soft wisps of white against beautiful baby blue, and the sun doesn’t beat down on them hard enough to burn skin, and all of these little details come together to form a beautiful Saturday evening, one that’s perfect for the carnival that’s held all summer long.

‘Daddy, what’s that?’ asks Soojung, tugging on the bottom of her father’s shorts to get his attention. He crouches down to her eye level and follows her finger, smiling when he sees what she’s pointing at.

‘That,’ he says, standing back up and taking his daughter’s hand in his, ‘Is something that I’m pretty sure you and your sisters will enjoy. Soo!’ he calls, looking over at his husband.

‘Yeah?’
‘D’you want to take them to get their faces painted?’
‘Sure!’

Kyungsoo jogs to catch up with them, Jinri and Sunyoung running in front of him. They’re both holding sticks of ice cream, Soojung clutching tightly on to the stick of her own cotton candy, and even if Kyungsoo knows they’re all sticky and a little bit gross, he thinks he’d love to capture this scene and preserve it in his memory for ever.

His family is perfect.

‘What’s that lady doing to that little girl?’ asks Jinri, looking up at Kyungsoo and wiggling his arm to get his attention.

‘She’s giving her some face paint. See?’ Kyungsoo points just as the little girl turns her head, a bright red flower already beginning to form on her cheek. ‘Don’t you think that’s pretty?’

‘I want one!’ shouts Soojung, hopping up and down in one spot. Jongin smiles fondly at her, reaches down to ruffle her hair.

‘Daddy Daddy I want one, too!’ announces Sunyoung, running up to hug her father’s leg.

‘How about you girls line up and take turns, and all of you can have one each,’ offers Jongin, much to his daughters’ glee. They make a little queue by themselves, Soojung in front, Sunyoung in the middle and Jinri bringing up the rear, and Jongin watches as Kyungsoo wanders off to the hot dog stand, coming back just in time for Soojung’s turn.

Jongin sits himself down on the ground near the face painter, Kyungsoo coming to join him soon after. The elder offers Jongin a bite and he takes it gratefully, smiling at his husband out of habit as the woman begins to give Soojung a bright yellow daisy.

Their daughter’s eyes are blown wide as the paint slides across her cheek, and Kyungsoo almost chokes on his food, unable to hold back the laughter that bubbles up in his throat at the sight. Sunyoung and Jinri both give similar reactions, and Jongin grins along with him. It’s all so endearing, Kyungsoo barely manages to keep from bursting.

‘They’re never going to want to take it off, you know,’ murmurs Kyungsoo, watching as Jinri proudly shows Soojung the cat she’s got on her cheek.

‘I know,’ says Jongin, lacing his fingers in with Kyungsoo’s. Sunyoung is off to the side, and Jongin watches as she admires the butterfly she’s got on her cheek when -

‘DADDY! SOOJUNGIE RUINED MY KITTY!’

Kyungsoo grins.

Almost perfect.