Another Side of Him

Rejected Mate

Author's POV
                    It is finally Saturday, the day Minji is the most nervous about.

Kai kept on texting her and reminding her about their thank you date so that she wouldn't forget.

She opened her closet and brought out a simple pink sun dress and she prepared her baby pink flat shoes.

She had this urge to make herself pretty for today.

Her phone beeped and she saw Kai's text message "Goodmorning sunshine! I'll pick you up at 9 am :) Love you."

A blush crept up her cheeks and butterflies swarmed all over her stomach.

She replied with a simple okay but she added a smily face at the end.

She dressed herslef up and placed a small amount of make up.

After fixing herself, she looked at the mirror with a contented smile.

Just in time, her door bell rang and she quickly picked up Kai's scent.

She quickly grabbed her purse and opened the door revealing a smoking hot Kai that left her speechless.

"Morning Minji, you look stunning today." Kai wanted to prevent himself from drooling over Minji's goddess appearance.

*Man my mate is gorgeous! I'm such a lucky bastard!*

Minji smiled at him as a faint blush appeared on her cheeks.

"You don't look that bad yourself." Minji said.

Kai smirked "Well, I do look hot if I say so myself."

Minji rolled her, but within her she also agreed with Kai.

She locked her door and placed her keys inside her purse.

"So, where do you want to plan to take me today?" She asked.

Kai widely smiled at her and didn't answer her question.

After five minutes of walking, they stopped in front of a mini stop branch.

"So you're taking me to eat noodles with you inside a mini stop?" Minji couldn't believe that Kai actually thought of bringing a girl here.

Kai weirdly looked at her and said "Hey, I'm not that cheap. We are here for a different agenda."

Kai opened the door for Minji and he grabbed a basket near the counter.

He went to the sweets section and he started to grab all the pepero boxes that he could grab.

Minji quizzically looked at Kai as he filled the basket with different flavors of pepero.

He placed the basket on top of the counter and the woman behind the cashier gasped with the amount of pepero that Kai is going to buy.

Kai brought out his card and gave it to the cashier.

There is a total of four paper bags that are all filled with pepero so Minji offered to help Kai.

Kai refused because he said that it might ruin Minji's outfit although isn't too sure how it will ruin her clothes.

She just concluded that Kai was being a gentleman.

After fifteen minutes of walking they are now infront of the town's only wolf orphanage called "The sanctuary orphanage."

This orphanage is filled with wolf children that were either abandoned by their parents or their parents got killed in a battle.

This orphanage is being supported by all of the alphas so that explains it's modern interior.

"Kai, why are we here?" Minji asked.

"This is where we will hold our date. We will spend the rest of the day together with fifty other children." Kai said.

Minji's heart melted after knowing Kai's intention for their date.

"Let's go?" Kai said.

Once they entered the orphanage a lot of children surrounded Minji and Kai.

How the children would call Kai's name and the longing in their eyes showed how Kai would come here often.

They entered a classroom and the children all sat down while Kai and Minji stood in front.

"Hi children! I brought pepero again today!" Kai said with his cheerful and sweet voice.

Minji never knew that Kai possessed such a bubbly and cute side

All of the children cheered and they bounced up from the ground.

Minji genuinely smiled after seeing the children so happy because of a pepero treat.

Kai handed her a paper bag for her to hand to some of the children.

She started to hand out the pepero and she can't explain how beautiful the smiles of the children are.

After giving out most of the pepero, Minji noticed a small blonde girl seating in the corner.

She grabbed one pepero box and she walked over to the little girl.

She sat beside her which made the little girl surprisingly look at her.

Minji noticed the beautiful perms on her blonde hair, her dark blue eyes and long lashes.

Another feature which Minji noticed is the big scar on her right cheek which is two inches long.

She smiled at her and handed the pepero over to the little girl.

The girl hesitantly took the pepero and she muttered a thanks.

"My name is Minji, what's yours?" She said with a soft voice.

"My...my name is Somi." Somi kept her head low as she began munching on the pepero stick.

"You're very pretty Somi. Do you mind telling me your age?" Minji said.

"I'm nine years old." Somi said.

There was an awkward silenc afterwards.

Minji mentally cursed herself for lacking the proper social skills.

"Hey, so I guess you already met Somi." Kai sat down beside Minji.

Somi's smile brightened and she quickly sat on Kai lap and cuddled him.

"Wow.....you're not only a chick magnet but also a kid magnet?" Minji musingly said.

"Well, I guess it adds up to my countless number of charms." Kai cockily said.

"Somi, how are you? Do you feel okay?" Kai said with a fatherly tone which melted Minji's heart.

"Neh oppa, thank you for visiting today." Somi with a genuin smile.

Kai smiled and pinched Somi's cheek.

It made her curious as to why Kai would hide this side of him to the public.

He would pretend to be a bad casanova when he is with his friends, but everytime he is alone he is like an angel sent here on earth to take care of the children.

Kai and Minji read stories to the children and they even staged a mini play.

The sincere smiles of the children is something that even money couldn't buy.

Another thing that Minji learned about Kai is that he is an amazing cook.

He offered to cook spaghetti for the children and Minji couldn't remember the last time that almost exploded due to the amazing flavor.

After having lunch with the children, it was the regular nap time for everyone.

Minji and Kai decided to go outside and take a little walk for Minji to explore the entire grounds of the orphanage.

"When did you start visiting the orphanage?" Minji asked.

"Two years ago, I met Somi who is roaming around the neighborhood. I was the one who took her to the orphanage. I met the children and I guess I grew fond of them that I visit at least twice or thrice a month." Kai said.

"What happened to Somi's cheek?" Minji asked the question that she always wanted to ask since this morning.

"I also don't know since Somi already had it when I met her. I tried to ask her several of times but she refuse to answer. I gave up on that question since she would end up crying after I ask her. I assumed that whatever caused her that scar might have been something so powerful that it ended up leaving her a permanent scar." Kai said.

Minji felt bad for Somi.

At such a young age, she already experience so much tragedy that no kid should ever experience.

"You're a good guy Kai. How come you hide it to everyone else?" Minji asked.

"I wasn't originally good. What you usually see is the real and original me. I was always a cocky bastard since the day I was born. I guess Somi was the one who made me realize that I have a soft spot for children." Kai tried to hide his embarrassing blush.

"Well I like that side of you." Minji said.

They stopped walking and they sat on the bench that is facing a small lake.

Minji looked at Kai and his side profile made him look like an angel.

"Why did you take me here? How come you revealed this side of you to me?" Minji asked.

"I wanted you to know that I am not purely a bastard. I still have a good spot that is worth looking at. And you're my mate, I wanted you to see me in a new light." Kai confessed.

"Well, it's working. You are now only half the bastard that you used to be." She teased.

Kai dramatically scoffed "So I'm still a bastard after buying fifty children pocky and cooking them lunch?"

Minji pretended to think "Uhm.....I guess."

Kai started to tickle her side which made her squeel.

"Stop! Hahahaha stop!" Minji's stomach started to ache after so much laughing.

"Not unless you tell me that I am the most handsome wolf out there." Kai said.

"No way! Hahaha! Stop!" Minji's eyes started to tear.

"Say it....say it or else the cause of your death with be laughter overdose." Kai joked.

"Fine! Hahaha! You are the most handsome wolf." Minji surrendered

Kai finally stopped tickling Minji "more handsome than Luhan hyung?"

"EXCEPT Luhan." Minji cleared.

Kai pouted in disappointment "yah, I'm your mate so you have to find me more handsome than him."

"Well Luhan can make anyone fall for him. He has that charming blue eyes that makes me want to stare at them all day." Minji dreamingly said.

"So if I paint my eyes blue then you'll fall for me?" Kai teased.

"That will look gross." She said.

 Kai lovingly looked at Minji and he said "Minji.....do I have a chance?"

Minji was caught off guard "Chance? Why would you want to know?"

"I want to know if you will ever love me again." Kai said.

Minji didn't know the right response to that question.

She wanted to give Kai a chance after knowing his good side,  but at the same time she is still inlove and committed to Luhan.

"I have a boyfriend Kai. I don't know if giving you a chance would be a wise idea." Minji said.

She expected for Kai to look sad and disappointed but when she looked at him there was a look of understanding.

"I know that leaving him won't be easy and I don't expect you to leave him for me anytime soon. I just want you to know that I love you and I will make that chance to happen. I won't give up on you even if you ask me too. I know I might sound selfish but I just really love you so much that it hurts." Kai said.

Minji felt bad for Kai.

She felt as if she is responsible for Kai's misery.

"I'm sorry....I'm really sorry." Tears threatened to fall from her eyes.

"Don't cry....and you don't need to be sorry. Everything is my fault. Not even an ounce of anything that is happening right now is your fault, I should be blamed for everything. I am the reason why I am in misery right now. Never blame yourself okay?" Kai said with a warm smile.

Minji wanted to hug him right now but she knew that it will make things worse.

Her chest started to hurt, but what's odd is that she could also feel Kai's pain.

Through this conversation, their emotional connection was unknowingly restored.

"Enough of this drama. Let's go back and prepare snacks for the children." Kai tried to lighten up the mood.

Minji smiled "okay."

Kai leaned down and gave Minji a kiss on the forehead.

"Let's go?" Kai said and pulled Minji up with him.

She always wondered why fate would match her up with a total cocky bastard, but now she knows why Kai was destined to be her mate.

Kai wasn't all bad and to be honest, Minji felt that Kai was able fix his mistakes by showing her the other side of him.

             "I had a great time today Kai. Thank you." Minji said.

Kai softly smiled "Anything for you. At least now you know that I am not a complete douchebag." 

Minji chuckled "Yeah, I know. See you tomorrow."

Kai nodded and he gave her a peck on the cheek which stunned her.

"Good night love. Sweet dreams." How he whispered those words sent tingles on Minji's stomach.

Minji entered her house with the biggest grin.

She never expected that having Kai around would be so much fun.

She went upstairs and a familiar scent struck her nose.

She quickly opened her bedroom door and she saw Luhan seating on her bed.

His eyes are red and his skin got paler that what it already is.

His depressed look sickens Minji to the core.

"Luhan? Why are you here? Are you okay?" Minji asked and sat beside him.

Luhan looked at her with his sad eyes and he sadly chuckled.

"I guess you really forgot." Luhan said in a low voice.

Minji looked at him confusingly.

And then a sudden memory came back to his mind.

She remembered how Luhan promised to take her out today.

"Oh my god....I'm so sorry. It left my mind an---"

"And you went out with Kai instead?" A sense of bitterness was present in his tone.

Luhan showed the conversation of her and Kai in her phone that she accidentally left in her room.

Minji didn't know how to respond.

She felt so guilty that it is making her sick.

"Are you secretly together now? I know that he is your mate but you can't just do this to me. Haven't I suffered enough?" Luhan sounded really hurt

Tears started to form on both of their eyes.

"No....No Luhan we're not together. It was just a way of thanking him for something that he did for me." Minji explained.

"Still! How can you remember your date with him and forget our date? I was so excited because I planned the entire day perfectly. This was suppose to be our first official date. I'm not trying to make you feel guilty, I just want you to know the truth." Luhan said and a tear finally escaped from his eyes.

"I'm sorry....I'm really sorry that I forgot." Minji said as tears bursted out.

Luhan wiped his tears and his eyes was filled with sadness and pain.

"I love you Minji....I really do. And I really fear of losing you because I know that your mate is just around, ready to steal you any time. I know that I sound selfish, but....Gosh I sound pathetic!" Luhan covered his face with his palm.

Minji wrapped her hands around Luhan's waist and gave him a warm hug.

"I'm sorry...I'm really sorry." She whispered over and over again.

Luhan looked at Minji straight in the eyes and he cupped her cheek.

"I love you....do you still love me?" He said.

"I love you too." Sh replied sincerely.

That brought a tremendous amount of relief for Luhan.

He moved closer to her and hugged her tiny waist.

"I want you Minji. I know that now is not the perfect time to mate with you but let me mark you at least." Luhan said.

Minji's eyes widened.

A part of her wanted Luhan to mark her but another part of her screamed Kai's name.

She could feel that her bond with Kai was fixed and strengthened so Kai will be a lot more vulnerable to the pain of his mate being marked and mating with another wolf.

The moment Luhan marks her, Kai will feel an unbearable wave of pain and will eventually lead him to depression.

If Minji mates with Luhan then Kai will feel more pain that could kill him if he is not strong enough.

If the pain won't kill him, then the depression will surely finish the job.

One way or another, Kai could die and Minji doesn't want that.

She is already falling for Kai and hurting him would internally kill her.

Luhan saw the hesitation on Minji and he painfully sighed.

He kissed her cheek and then whispered "forget what I said....goodnight."

He jumped out of her window leaving her frozen.