Wolfsbane

Rejected Mate

Author's POV
                  Minji and Luhan walked hand in hand out of the forest after their steamy kiss and unexpected confession to one another.

Today marks their first day as an official couple.

Minji couldn't erase the wide smile on her face.

This is the first time she felt so happy in a long time.

Luhan too felt the same.

Minji's phone started to ring "Hello?"

She suddenly felt alert after hearing a loud sob from the other line.

"Sulli? What's going on? Why are you crying?" 

"Minji....Jinho won't wake up. H-He looks...pale...he..he feels cold." Sulli choked on her sentence.

Minji heart stopped after hearing that.

"Where are you two? Your house or his? Have you called the pack doctor?" She panicked.

"I just called awhile ago....he should..be here in a minute. I'm here at his house to visit him....but I saw him in his room looking so pale. Minji what should I do?! I can't...I can't live without Jinho." Sulli cried louder.

Minji doesn't know the amount of pain Sulli is feeling right now, but it just be a whole lot.

"Just calm down. I'm sure he'll be alright after the pack doctor checks up on him. I'll be there okay? Call Henry too. Calm down okay? Sulli, just be there for Jinho. Stay strong." Minji ended the call.

The happiness that she felt just a few minutes ago was replaced by a terrible feeling that she could not explain.

She was dead worried for Jinho.

*Is this related to Jinho's withdrawal as the future beta? Did he knew that this would happen?*

"Minji, what happened? Is Jinho in trouble?" Luhan looks worried after seeing Minji's troubled face.

Minji sighed and nodded.

"Sulli called and she said that Jinho won't wake up. I'm not sure what happened, but I have the feeling that it is the reason why he dropped his future beta position."

"Will you go to Jinho? Can I come with you?" Luhan asked.

Minji nodded and they both ran towards Jinho's house.

When they arrived, they saw Sulli crying while holding Jinho's pale hands and a pack doctor who is checking Jinho's temperature.

Minji tightly hugged Sulli to calm her down.

"Minji....Minji I knew it! I knew something was wrong with him!" Sulli cried.

"What? What is it?" Minji asked.

The door of the room suddenly burst open and revealed Luna and Henry.

"What happened? How is he?" Henry concern ly asked.

"Two days ago, I saw him crying alone in the classroom. I asked him what's wrong but he won't respond. Yesterday, he looked sick but he said that it was only a cold. A COLD WON'T MAKE HIM LIKE THIS!!" Sulli trashed around Minji's grip.

"Sir, what's wrong with my friend? Will he be okay?" Henry asked the pack doctor.

The pack doctor heavily sighed "He is alive but his temperature dropped dramatically. Another weird thing is that I can't feel his wolf. An unknown poison is traveling through his veins that could have paralyzed his wolf and later on paralyzed him. I need to run more tests to know what kind of poison is is in him to give him the proper cure."

"I...think he knows that this will happen to him. That's why he immedielty dropped his beta position that he loved so much." Sulli said as more tears flowed out from her eyes.

"Poison? How did he get infected by poison?!" Henry said in frustration.

An idea popped on Luhan's head.

He quickly approached Jinho's body and he opened Jinho's mouth.

He carefully smelled it and he later on proceeded to Jinho's ears.

Lastly he opened Jinho's eyes and his suspicion was confirmed after seeing Jinho's eyes looking so red as if it was irritated.

"Wolfsbane....he got infected by wolfsbane. I know it because I used to have a pack member who died because of it." Luhan said.

Wolfsbane is a kind of plant used to kill predators on warewolf legends.

Everyone gasped after hearing that an urban legend poison is actually real.

"Kid, how do you know about its existence? Us doctors know about wolfsbane but it remained as a legend. " the pack doctor looked absolutely clueless.

"My pack member accidentally ate the flower containing the wolfsbane poison. It was the only instance known in history were wolfsbane actually killed a real warewolf. Didn't the news reached your pack? I won't blame you, it happened 10 years ago and our pack didn't want to make a huge ruckus about it's existence. If the hunters knew about this, then it will kill thousands of warewolf without breaking a sweat. Our pack was given samples on the smell of wolfsbane for us not to mistake the flower as something edible ever again. " Luhan said.

"S-So...Jinho will die? IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING?!?" Sulli screamed.

"So it's real....I need to take back this blood sample from Jinho and I will come back if I found something useful that might save him." The pack doctor said then left.

Luhan sighed "You said that he knew this would happen, it means that he was attacked by the poison on the day he withdrawn his beta position or even days before that. My old pack member died an hour after injesting the poison. Seeing how Jinho is still alive even after a few days, maybe the wolfsbane that is in him is a mild one."

Sulli calmed down a bit after hearing that the poison that is in Jinho is a mild one.

"So what should we do? Is there a cure?" Henry asked.

Luhan shook his head "Since wolfsbane used to be a legend to most wolves, no one bothered to find a cure. I'm sorry but I also don't know"

"We have the natural healing capabilities right? Won't Jinho's body be able to fight the poison?" Henry said.

Luhan sighed hard, he hated breaking the hopes of people.

"I studied the first and only case of wolfsbane for fun and curiosity. It was recorded that the pack doctors also hoped for the wolf to heal by himself like what we all do when we get injured , but apparently it didn't happen. I suspect that the poison prevented his body to heal by itself. Jinho felt his wolf being paralyzed therefore withdrawing the beta position, what made me curious is as to why he didn't tell anyone about it." Luhan said.

Henry thought for a moment and an idea popped on his head "He told me that after Minji accepts the beta position he will tell his reason as to why he dropped the position. He told me that it could be a threat to our kind. Maybe this is what he is referring to."

"This is bad...do you guys think that he accidentally ate the poisoned flower?" Luhan asked.

"No way, Jinho hates flowers. He avoids them because he is allergic." Sulli said.

"So that means that there is another reason why he got poisoned? What could it be?" Henry thought for a moment.

Luhan thought and thought until a possible idea came in.

"Minji, Sulli and Luna please go out of the room for a moment. Me and Henry need to check something." Luhan said.

The girls quickly obeyed.

"What are you up to?" Henry eyes Luhan.

Luhan closed his eyes and tried to concentrate.

He smelled his surrounding and he was able to pick up a familiar scent.

He quickly opened the drawers and there he found a purple needle that smelled like wolfsbane.

"AH!" Luhan cried in pain

Luhan tried to pick it up but it burned his skin leaving a dark red mark.

"Luhan? Luhan what's going on?!" Henry came by his side.

"Henry, please quickly remove Jinho's clothes. I think I know how Jinho got infected by the poison."

Henry quickly removed Jinho's shirt and a visible circular red mark was found on his right side just heard his belly button.

"Injection...he was injected with wolfsbane poison." Luhan concluded.

Henry lightly gasped "Who...who would do such a thing?!" He angrily said.

"Hunters are the only source that I could think of. They hate our kind, they must have found about it and tested it on the forest and it hit Jinho. Jinho's lucky that the dosage that  was given to him is not that strong or else he'll die. I'm not sure if he is safe though. He is paralyzed and his body is not healing by itself. The best thing that we could do is to wait for the cure that the pack doctor could come up with." Luhan said.

"How about the rogues? do you think that they might have been involved  with this as well?" Henry asked

"Right now I don't know. Henry please start warning your pack about the existence of wolfsbane. Tell them to be extra alert with their surroundings and keep their mouth shut about its existence. I'll inform Kris and Suho as well." Luhan said.

"Got it, I'll inform the dawn pack's alpha as well. This is bad Luhan. If ever the hunters attacks us using wolfsbane, we stand no chance. They could kill us without even touching us. I worry for my future people, how will they live in fear? Am I even fit to be an alpha?"

Henry suddenly questioned his credibility as the future alpha.

Will he be able to stop the hunters from abusing wolfsbane and use it to kill their race?

He felt hopeless even before the battle even began.

"You were chosen by the heavens to lead your pack for a reason. Never question yourself and just focus on proteins your pack." Luhan adviced.

"I suddenly wondered why you didn't become an alpha. You sound much like an alpha." Henry wondered.

The way Luhan acted made him fit as a future alpha.

"I'm the future beta and it is my responsibility to learn the best that I can so that I could give my alpha the best suggestions out there." Luhan smiled.

"Thanks Luhan. We would never have figured out what caused Jinho's paralysis if it wasn't for you. We might mot have cured Jinho, but at least we have a lead."

"No worries. Anyways, let's start discussing what might happen in the future. I have the feeling that a battle will erupt soon. The enemies were testing their weapons. Needles infested with wolfsbane don't just go flying around. It means that they have future plans to attack and kill. We need to be prepared." Luhan said seriously.

Henry couldonly nod.

He wolf doesn't usually let people tell him what to do, but today he will make an exception.

As the future alpha, he desperately need Luhan to know their future move and precautions.