Regret

Rejected Mate

Author's POV
                The music inside the club blasted and the smell of alcohol lingered the air.

The crowd on the dance floor started to grow as the beat of the music goes higher.

Kai is sitting on one of the sofas with two girls keeping him company.

"Oppa, drink more." One of the girls filled the shot glass with more alcohol then handed it over to Kai.

Kai cringed after the girl called him oppa for the nth time tonight.

*Ugh...what the hell! you're three years older than me!*

He drank the alcohol within one shot and he felt a sting on his throat.

His head started to spin after he took the last shot of alcohol from the sixth glass he had tonight.

Normally he'd stop drinking at this rate since it's a school night, but what happened earlier made him want to drink more to forget his stupidity.

How he treated Minji is really unforgivable.

"Yah, open that bottle." Kai ordered one of the girls.

She did what Kai told her to do and she filled his glass with more alcohol.

Kai grew irritated with the short coming of alcohol so he swiftly took the bottle and drank through it directly.

He was able to finish half of the bottle in one go.

His body started to feel hot and the girls trying to touch his body is not helping at all.

Minji's scared face flashed through his mind and a pang guilt washed over him.

*She's a girl and she's my mate....why in the world did I do that?* Kai is mentally confused.

He doesn't really like Minji as his mate but what he did was too much! heck he doesn't even treat like that.

He admits that there is a part of him that felt extremely jealous after seeing Minji with another man.

It's normal for his wolf to feel jealous but what confuses him is why does his human self feel jealous as well?

His heart already belongs to someone else, and that's the mysterious white wolf.

"Kai! Yah! Why are you here getting drunk?!" Kai looked at the source of the sound and saw an angry Baekhyun approaching him.

Kai sent the girls away and Baekhyun sat beside him.

"The guys told me to pick you up. Why are getting yourself drunk in a school night!" Baekhyun scolded.

Kai rubbed his face then up to his hair.

"Hyung...I did something really wrong. I shouldn't have done it." Kai said in a drunk manner.

Baekhyun suddenly grew worried "Did you kill someone?! Did you rob the bank?!"

Kai shook his head and he chuckled at his own stupidity "For me...it's much worse than that."

"Wait...are you taking drugs? Kai I swear if your taking drugs then I won't hesitate--" 

Kai cut off Baekhyun and said "Hyung what if you don't like your mate?" 

Baekhyun pursed his lips "That's stupid! Even before I met Krystal I know that I will love my mate no matter what. When I saw her I fell for her more that it is already impossible to turn back."

"No hyung I mean what if you were expecting more from your mate and she didn't meet your expectations, what will you do?" Kai started to play with his fingers.

"I'll be happy to adjust my standards for her. I know that whatever my standard is, she'll top that no matter what. Besides, our mates are designed to be perfect for our taste. So it's almost impossible for you to not like her." Baekhyun adviced.

Kai chuckled, his case is very much different.

"Hyung~ My mate....is not the kind of mate that I was expecting. Hyung~ is it possible to change mates?" Kai sounded drunk.

Baekhyun gasped "You found your mate?! That's great! Who is she?!"

"No one spectacular. She's so average that she makes me cringe." Kai said.

Baekhyun started to assume the worse "Don't tell me you rejected her?"

Kai gave him a big thumbs up.

Baekhyun hit the back of Kai's head to show him how stupid he is.

"Do you know what you have done?! Kai how can you do that to your mate?" Baekhyun is already shouting.

Kai kept shaking his head "I was expecting someone else as my mate."

He started to hit his chest "My heart has someone else and it's not my mate."

Baekhyun sighed at the tough situation that Kai is facing.

"So this certain someone is hindering you from loving your mate? Did you even give your mate a chance? How can you say that she's average and nothing spectacular?" Baekhyun said.

Kai groaned "She...She is nothing like what I've always dreamed of. I want another mate hyung~"

Baekhyun shook his head *How idiot can this guy get?*

"Your mate will always be your mate so you better sulk it up. And besides haven't you considered that maybe, the feeling is mutual? I mean you're a down right play boy so who would want you to to be their mate? Honestly your mate is carrying a bigger burden than you so don't act like you're the most pitiful wolf on earth." Baekhyun scolded the drunk wolf.

Baekhyun looked at Kai who is showing no signs of emotions as if he is in deep thoughts.

"You should patch things up with your mate. If you really don't like her, then you two should at least be in good terms." 

Kai shook his head "Minji hates me more than ever now. Patching things up with her is already close to impossible."

Baekhyun's eyes widened after hearing the name of Kai's mate.

"Minji? As in river pack Minji? She's a close friend of my mate's sister! And what do you mean impossible? What did you do for her to hate you so much?"

Kai deeply sighed as the event that reminded him of his mistake crossed his mind.

"Two reasons....I rejected her and then I harassed her." Kai said.

Baekhyun gasped at what Kai did.

"What?! You idiot! She'll be deeply traumatized by you now. Why did you do that to your own mate?!" Baekhyun stated the obvious.

Kai groaned loudly and he laid down the couch to ease his aching head.

"I don't know!! I don't know why I did that!! I lost control! I don't know..." Kai frustratingly said.

"Just make sure you don't regret losing your mate in the end. You just lost your chance to have a happily ever after Kai." Baekhyun said to the half awake Kai.

Baekhyun stood up and left Kai alone.

                      It is already night time when a loud piercing scream was heard.

"AAAAHHH!!! No!! NOOOO!!" Minji trashed around her bed as a nightmare attacked her.

Luhan was suddenly disturbed from his sleep after hearing Minji.

He panicked after seeing Minji trying to fight an invisible figure that is only visible in her dream.

Luhan took Minji and wrapped his arms around her.

"Minji! Minji calm down...I'm here please calm down." He softly whispered on her ears.

She started to calm down and her eyes slowly opened.

While looking around, she can't help but to shake in fear as she was reminded of her dream.

She tightened her grip around Luhan's waste and she buried her face on his neck.

She started to cry after remembering what her own mate did to her.

"Shhhh...don't cry I'm here " Luhan soothed her back.

After 30 minutes Minji finally fully calmed down.

Luhan entered the room while holding a cup of hot milk.

He sat beside her and handed her the milk.

"Where am I?" That was the first sentence Minji said after she woke up.

"You're at the hospital. Your parents told me to look after you for the night. Your friends still have no idea what happened to you. A wolf doctor checked up on you and he said that you could go home tomorrow." Luhan said all the possible informations that Minji could ask.

Minji sighed and nodded.

She took a small sip from her hot milk and said "Thank you for your help Luhan."

Luhan smiled and nodded "no worries, I'm sorry I came too late. If only I came earlier then Kai wouldn't have made a big damage on you."

Minji didn't feel like it was right for Luhan to apologize for anything.

"You don't need to say sorry for anything. I'm just grateful that you were there to rescue me." Minji smiled for the first time tonight.

"Minji, from now on don't ever get too close to Kai even if he is your mate. His actions are very unpredictable and I'm just worried that he might do worse things to you in the future." Luhan said.

No matter how Luhan thinks of it, he still couldn't find the appropriate reason why Kai was able to hurt Minji.

Kai might be a playboy but Luhan knew that Kai would never hurt a girl.

"Even if you don't say anything, I would really not go near Kai anymore. The way he looked at me in the janitor's closet is like he wanted to murder me. He...he c-called me a ." Minji broke down after recalling the bad names that escaped Kai's lips.

The verbal torture that Kai did to her was just as worse as the physical pain that he inflicted on her.

Luhan hugged Minji comfort her.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you from now on." Luhan assured.

*I might not have saved my mate, but I'll make sure that I will save you Minji. I won't let anything bad happen to you ever again. I won't repeat my mistake, I don't want to lose you like how I lost Mirae. You're very important to me now Minji.*

              Kai still felt drunk but he really needed to take a long run right now.

He quickly transformed himself into a wolf and his paws carried him towards the forest.

He ran and ran hoping to see the mysterious white wolf that owned his heart.

For him to see the white wolf is already enough to comfort him.

He looked around for more than an hour but he never spotted the white wolf.

He started to loudly howl hoping to ease his frustrated mind.

After a few more runs in the forest, he transformed back to his human self.

He passed by the hospital Minji is in.

He looked at the window and saw Minji trashing around and Luhan trying to comfort her.

*She looks so scared...I'm sure it's because of me.* Kai saddened with that thought.

He went to the hospital's cafeteria and bought hot milk for Minji.

This is the second time Kai bought something for his mate.

The first one was the bread and banana milk that he left inside Minji's locker.

There was a part of him that seem so worried when he heard the news about Minji's health declining.

He made sure that she would eat breakfast that day.

After paying for the milk, he asked one of the nurse to bring it to Minji's room.

"Miss, please don't tell them that I was the one who bought it. Tell them that it's a complimentary from the hospital." Kai said.

The nurse nodded.

*I'm sorry Minji....I hope you forgive me someday.*