Chapter 1

Dream

Lee Ji-Eun was in class sitting next to the window at the back. She had her arm on the table with her chin lying on her hand, staring in a blur while looking at the blackboard as the math teacher kept speaking and explaining to the students the formula.

The bell then rang and the students just dashed out of the class ready to go home. Lee Ji-Eun just calmly packed her books into her bag.

“It´s your birthday isn´t it? Are you going to celebrate it this year?” Keiko asked her

“Probably not…” Lee Ji-Eun said to her as she picked up her bag.

“Why not? It´s not every day that you turn 19” Keiko said to her.

“That´s true, but it´s just a birthday… what´s the big deal” Lee Ji-Eun said to her as she started walking out of class. Keiko then just ran towards her and held onto Ji-Eun´s arm saying “ok, ok… I get it” 

They then walked together home and as they were walking “Oh that reminds me, I almost forgot, here” as she took out of her school bag a present.

“What´s this?” Ji-Eun asked her surprised.

“It´s your birthday gift take it” Keiko said to her smiling.

“Thanks but you didn´t have to” Ji-Eun said to her smiling.

“Even though I don´t know why you don´t celebrate it, but still Happy birthday” she said to her smiling. “I´m sorry if I have never told you why I don´t celebrate it” Ji-Eun said to her with a sad expression.

“You don´t have to tell me, I´m not going to force you to” Keiko said to her.

“You´ve been my only best friend since I came to Japan, so I guess it´s ok if you know” Ji-Eun said putting up a slight smile.

“Is it really ok for you to tell me?” Keiko said to her with a worried expression.

“Actually, I had a brother.” She said to Keiko looking down to the floor as they walked.

“What happened to him?” she asked all curious.

Ji-Eun then looked at Keiko and told her what happened as she remembered the incident “6 years ago…”

*Flashback*

“Sweety, umma can´t come and pick you up today because of work, but don´t worry your brother said he´ll pick you up once his classes finish so be a good girl and wait for him here after school ok?” her mother said to her as Ji-Eun walked into the school and went to classes.

At the end of the day, Ji-Eun waited for her brother next to the school gates. “Oppa!” she screamed waving at her brother.

He then held her hand asking “Did you wait long?”

“No” she said, moving her head from side to side. “Good! Then here is a present for the birthday girl” he said to her smiling as he gave her a cute stuffed doll.

“Thanks oppa!” she said to him all happily as they then walked home.

As they were walking her brother looked to the side, where there was a cake shop. He then looked at Ji-Eun and asked smiling “Hmmm, we can´t celebrate a birthday without a birthday cake, now can we?”

“No!” Ji-Eun said to him smiling as her brother went in to buy her cake. After they bought the cake they waited for the traffic light to turn green.

They then crossed the road and as they were crossing Ji-Eun let her doll fall to the floor. So, she then let´s go of her brothers hand and runs back to pick up the doll.

Once she picked it up she looked forward and saw a car coming at high speed towards her. Her feet couldn´t move it was as if they were glued to the floor, scared she shuts her eyes.

Her brother looking back sees the car coming towards her, and runs to her yelling “Ji-Eun!” as he pushes her out of the road.

Ji-Eun on the ground hears a screeching sound coming from the car, she looks back and sees her oppa get hit by it.

Shocked, she lifts herself up, having her tears falling down her cheeks. “Oppa! Oppa!” she screamed as she ran towards him and went down on her knees.

“Oppa! Wake up! Oppa!” she screamed at him crying as she saw him unconscious bleeding to death.

*End of flashback*

“It was my fault that he died that day” Ji-Eun said to Keiko having her tears almost falling from her eyes.

“It wasn´t your fault don´t blame yourself” Keiko said to her with a sad expression on her face.

Ji-Eun then takes a deep breath, tries to put a smile on herself and says while standing next to the gate of her house “Well, I guess I´m going to go in now!  Be careful on your way home”

“I will!” Keiko said to her as she walked away.

Ji-Eun´s POV

I then opened the door “Omma, I´m home”