8: Suspicion

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

"Bye guys, I'll see y'all at the steps after this."

 

Sehun and Kai pulled me into a hug. "Be careful!" Kai urged and I had to pry myself from them as they wouldn't let me go. "I will, don't worry! My class is here, so you two run along now. Don't be late." I frowned and pushed them both to be on their way. I stood outside the classroom for awhile, watching the boys proceed down the hallway and round the corner towards the auditorium. They glanced back every few steps and I waved to them. As they finally disappeared from my sight, I sighed. Sheesh, what could possibly happen?

 

"Sorry, could you not stand at the door and block people's way or are you perhaps in the sidekicks class?" A familiar greasy voice gruffed from behind me and my eyes twitched. No way. No, no, no way!

 

I stepped aside, keeping my face hidden from the man who spoke. He clucked in annoyance and entered the classroom. What the f– He's going to be in this class today?!! Oh I am screwed. I panicked. Leaning against the wall for a moment, I contemplated my options. I won't skip classes (because I'm a good girl duh) but this is an emergency; should I skip and taint my squeaky clean attendance or maintain my perfect record and risk being discovered by going to class?

 

I opened the door and crept into the classroom while that damned James Pigalle stood in front of the class and was explaining who-knows-what. My teacher looked at me with reproach and noted down my attendance. I shot her an apologetic look and settled into the furthest corner of the room. The further I'm away from that man, the better. I let my hood cover most of the upper half of my face as I strategically placed my hands on my chin and used my fingers to obscure the lower half of my face. Trying hard to not glare at him, I rested my eyes on the board behind him. Yet I kept glancing at him; his circular spectacles perched on his sharp nose and his beady eyes that glinted with malice. Ugh. He looks like a vulture. An evil vulture that betrayed my parents for benefits. How I wish I could boil you in oil over and over... I shook in rage that was stirring within me and I glared daggers at him. Jen, shush. Be at peace. You can't be discovered right now and let what the adults have done be for naught. I breathed in and out silently and tried to calm myself down. I reopened my eyes and realised that the class was staring at me.

 

"I repeat. You there." James Pigalle was frowning and looking at me. "What's your name and have you been listening to what I have said?" Oh dear. Why must he pick on me of all people? The anger within me fizzled out a little and fear arose. Gulp. I'm afraid. Boys, come save me.

 

Please.



 

[Kai]

"We'll end early, so that's it for today!" Mr. Boom said, his voice magnified so that the freshmen in his heroes class scattered throughout the auditorium could hear him.

 

I wiped the perspiration off my forehead with my sleeve and someone jumped onto my back. "Let's go, let's go! We can wait outside her class!" Turning back, I found Sehun grinning as he peeled his perspiration-drenched shirt over his head much to the delight of girls who swooned and to the chagrin of boys who clucked in annoyance. But the girls' faces fell when they saw another shirt under the one Sehun just removed. Bwahahaha! Their faces were priceless. I thumped his back and we went to the bleachers to pack our stuff.

 

"Oh! And one more thing I forgot to mention." Mr. Boom spoke once more. "Don't be late for the next class! The principal is coming to observe!" At the mention of that name, I perked up and beside me Sehun swore under his breath. Why must he be in our class, ugh.

 

I continued to pack my bag when something dawned on me. It couldn't be... I instantly teleported to Mr. Boom as he was about to leave the auditorium. "Is that man– I mean principal James Pigalle at the sidekicks class today then?" I looked expectantly at him, anxious to know the answer. He nodded his head and I felt my world crumble around me. I swayed and felt arms gripping my shoulders, stabilizing me. Sehun. "Sir, is it really true that he's there today?" He too looked expectantly at our teacher, desperately wishing that it wasn't true. "Yes he's there at the sidekicks class right now. What’s up with you guys? Sheesh." Annoyed, he threw us a dirty look and left.

 

"S-Sehun ah." I gulped and turned to him. Tears had welled up in his eyes and his hands gripped my shoulders tighter. "Kai, s-she's going to be discovered!" He stuttered as he looked at me with eyes that reflected immense worry that can be seen even behind a wall of tears. "What are we going to do? We have to save her!"

 

I could feel genuine fear creeping into my heart as I stared at Sehun and for the first time, I felt afraid.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter