3: Sidekick And Proud Of It

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 18 of Exile]

"Don't dwell on it Sehun ah!" I thumped him on the back and gave him a huge grin. Kai snickered and draped his arm over Sehun's shoulder. Sehun glanced at us, and sighed.

"But but, don't you feel sad at all Jen?" He looked at me and his face had 'sadness' written all over it. I bit my lower lip, pausing for a moment, before shaking my head.

“No,” I ruffled his hair fondly. “I don’t.”

 

"Jen Lee!"

His loud voice echoed powerfully within the auditorium, causing me to look up. What choice did I have, how could I not respond when every single freshman had snapped their heads to me. On either sides of me, encouraging whispers of “Fighting!” came from both boys and I stood up. Snickers and teases buzzed within the large room as I walked towards the stage, mind blanking with every step.

I finally stepped onto the stage, eyes immediately searching the massive audience to rest themselves on two familiar faces who gazed back with so much worry that they’re making my heart ache. I looked away, trying hard to ignore the prickling within my chest and decided to look down the stage instead. Mr. Boom sat on a chair. An empty chair was beside him.

Thank goodness, I had thought when the man left the auditorium shortly after his welcome speech. I don't think I'd be able to do the test calmly with him watching me.

Scratch that, I don’t think I’d be able to do anything.

"Ignore those bastards. You may begin, Jen Lee." Mr. Boom motioned for me to start.

"Mr. Boom, don't you think it's pretty warm today? What other weather would you prefer instead?" I clasped my hands together and asked him earnestly.

The man raised his brow. "Oh? The power to control the weather? I haven't had those around for ages." He smiled. "It is pretty warm so how about some rain?"

"Okay. Rain coming right up." I turned towards the series of windows in the auditorium. Concentrating on the sky, I gathered my chakra (HAHAHAHAH okay no chakra, I'm joking), clenched my fist and urged the sky to rain.

.

I could faintly hear laughter and sniggers from behind me and the boys growling at those people to shut up. "Miss Lee, any time now." Mr. Boom clucked impatiently.

Seeing how the sky remained unchanged, I sighed resignedly and turned back to the crowd. "I'm sorry, I can't control my power very well. I'm so sorry for wasting your time." I bowed to him and walked off the stage.

Don't ask me why I didn't have tears in my eyes, I just didn't. I walked back to my seat with my head held high and even gave the boys a warm smile as I sat back down between them.

"Jen! How could you just give up like that?! You could have changed the weather!" I rolled my eyes at Sehun, whose lips were worried. "Don’t be silly, you know I can’t. Besides, I was already prepared to be dumped in the sidekicks class."

At my words, Kai scowled but got up when his name got called next. Several girls wolf-whistled at him while the guys bared their teeth.

"Kai Kim, teleporter." He vanished from next to me, and instantly appeared on the stage. I heard an impressed whistle from Mr. Boom, who gestured for Kai to start his display. As his childhood friend, I knew his style. I immediately fixated my eyes on the boy and just as I thought, he vanished with Mr. Boom.

They reappeared seconds later, and a knowing grin was already on the teacher’s face. Kai didn’t look too pleased, though.

"Well done, Kai Kim! We have a hero!" Mr. Boom thumped Kai heartily on the back and sent him back to his seat. I shot him a thumbs-up when he returned and plopped back down next to me. "We have a hero~!" I teased, just as Sehun’s name resounded within the auditorium. Tearing my eyes away from Kai’s for a second, I flashed the other boy an encouraging expression.

"Why did you do that?" Kai gruffed and whirled me to face him. His brows were furrowed and his lips pressed into a thin line. "I didn't do anything." I replied and gazed at him innocently. "Don't lie, I know that you had–"

"Would that pair of lovebirds stop chatting so that Oh Sehun can begin?" The auditorium turned to look at us, and we promptly shut up. Mr. Boom motioned for Sehun to start. Kai awkwardly let go of my shoulders and we turned to face the stage.

Once again, I let my eyes dart to my other same-aged friend. And I let my magic work.


 

[Sehun]

Her fingers left my locks, bringing the warmth that had begun to spread within my head with her. She whirled, skipping down the large marble steps towards the lawn.

“But…” I looked out at her as she reached the bottom and waved to us, beckoning us to hurry up. Kai placed a hand on my shoulder. “Sehun, don’t dwell on it. If she’s fine with it, then so are we.” His words were firm and I couldn’t help but believe in them, even though doubts still swirled in my mind. I nodded, and Kai teleported us to her.

“Feel like taking the bus back? Or I could teleport us back home.” Kai suggested as Jen shook her head immediately. “Nah, you must be tired after teleporting. So it’s alright, we can take a bus back.” She grinned and pointed to the long line of students waiting for the school bus at the bus bay.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter