58: Of Fears and Apologies

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

[Jongdae]

 

“So you’re saying that he’s controlling Sehun with his power?”

 

“You’re making yourself sound stupid, Luhan.” Xiumin-hyung rolled his eyes as the younger glared at him from across the table. “Didn’t Jongdae already say it so clearly just now?”

 

“Well, I was just confirming the information again.” Luhan-hyung sulked, slumping in his seat, arms folded across his chest. The boy was clearly upset with his friend’s remark. “You don’t have to put it across so crudely.”

 

The supposedly heated argument lapsed into silence as the four of us twiddled our thumbs and played with our fingers. Kris-hyung broke the quietude first, his question providing the platform for me to voice my plan for the future.

 

“I was thinking… of going to save the adults.”

 

“That was what Luhan suggested in the first place when we got that letter,” Kris-hyung commented, his long fingers tapping lightly on the tabletop. “And you think it’s feasible and most probably able to succeed…?”

 

“You make me sound like I’m a genius.” I chuckled. “That I ought to know everything.”

 

“But you are, Jongdae ah.” Xiumin-hyung piped up, his eyes looking at me. “You were the one that discovered the man’s plan to take over the planet, and now you’re on to him again.”

 

“And I agree with you,” The third eldest drew an imaginary circles on the space in front of him. “That his power might be mind control, since Teacher Myra fell under his command, and now Sehun. Though I would like to add that perhaps he can only command one at a time; if not he would already have made us all his slaves.”

 

“Doesn’t make us all vulnerable?” Luhan-hyung whispered, and an ominous silence followed as the answer surfaced in our minds. “Dammit!”

 

“That’s why I’m suggesting that we end this as soon as possible. Before another one of us fall prey to him and end up hurting Jen again.” I announced gravely. “We have to find out where he’s hiding the adults, come up with a plan to storm the place, and save them without dying in the process.”

 

“You make it sound so easy.” Kris-hyung let out a dry laugh, his facial expression depicting none of the cheerfulness of a laugh.  

 

“We will help you find the adults.”

 

A small lizard flew into the kitchen, landing perfectly on the table. After folding his miniature wings, his small and unblinking eyes glanced at Kris-hyung before staring at mine.

 

“Len, what do you mean by that?”

 

“Our ability to materialise through concrete objects will greatly assist us in our search of this neighbourhood for your parents and the girl’s grandparents.” The dragon replied calmly. “Of course there is no guarantee that they are in this very town, but Lei told me to share this with you.”

 

Our heads simultaneously leaned in towards the spirit animal, our ears perked and ready to hear what my spirit animal had deduced.

 

“It will be in an obvious place.”

 

“Because the letter taunted us, wanting us to fall into his trap.” I finished, and the dragon nodded his small head. “He’s just waiting for us.”

 

“Then shouldn’t we not go instead…?” Xiumin-hyung bit on his lower lip. “If it’s a trap…”

 

“You’re such a coward, Xiumin-hyung.”

 

Our heads lifted up, smiles adorning our faces immediately as our eyes registered the voice's identity.


 

[Sehun]

 

“Come back to me, please… Baby boy.”

 

“Ugh…”

 

“He’s coming to!” A familiar voice rang out and I gingerly opened my eyes, Baekhyun-hyung’s face swimming into view. “Suho-hyung, Sehun is waking up!”

 

“B-Baekhyun-hyung…” I heard my voice. It sounded as though I haven’t drank a single drop of liquid for days and my throat raged for water. “W-Wha–”

 

“Are you certain it’s our Sehun?” Suho-hyung appeared next to the sixth eldest, disbelief clearly written on his face. “I’m not too convinced, Baekhyun ah.”

 

“Fine, get Kai here.” Baekhyun-hyung deadpanned, his narrowed eyes giving Suho-hyung the benefit of doubt. “Kyungsoo, get Zitao to drag that boy here.”

 

Shouts soon filled the room as from the corners of my eyes, I saw Zitao-hyung supporting a limp Kai through the doorway.

 

“K-Kai!” I tugged on my hands, shocked to find them bound. “Why are my hands tied?! Suho-hyung, what’s going on?!”

 

“S-Sehun…?” My best friend murmured, and it wasn’t long before I found his face shoved in front of mine. “Oh Sehun?”

 

“Y-Yes, I’m Oh Sehun. Don’t you know me, Kai Kim?” I stared at him incredulously, my mind unable to process what was happening. “Why is everyone so cautious of me? Did I do something wrong while I was asleep?”

 

“It seems that he can’t remember what he did…” Kai whispered to Suho-hyung, as the rest of the boys gazed intensely at me. Suho-hyung nodded at my friend and he turned to me, a hardened look on his face.

 

“Sehun, do you know who we are?”

 

I gave him a flat look. “Are you joking right now? Do I look like an idio–”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter