15: Your Honour

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

[James Pigalle]

“Oof!”

Someone slammed into my shoulders and my letters spilled all over the floor. I turned back and apprehended the culprit as the person shuffled away without an apology.

It’s that girl again!

She looked up at me blankly at first, then realisation flooded her eyes and they widened.

“YOU! YOU ARE THE ONE THAT DID THIS! IT WAS YOU!!” She shoved a finger into my face and started to scream. Students stopped in their tracks and paused to look at us. I glared at them, motioning for them to go to class but no one moved.

The girl continued to scream the same words at the top of her lungs and suddenly behind her the crowd parted. A tall boy emerged from the mass and his jaw dropped when he saw me. His features… They remind me of–

“Wait!” He hurriedly heaved the girl over his shoulder and carried her away, ignoring me. Fury stirred within me but I remembered that many students were still watching me so I kept my cool and stooped down to collect my letters before vanishing into my office.

 

I absentmindedly clicked and unclicked my pen. That scene… It was so familiar. And that boy; he looks just like Rose…

 

“Your Honour, we cannot keep the unborn baby inside Lee Aera. It’s a product of a hero and a sidekick; the very being that almost brought our world into extinction! It cannot be allowed to live!”

I reasoned as I looked earnestly at the judge who was his chin.

Behind me, curses erupted from the audience and I forced myself to not turn back and flip the bird at them.

They absolutely cannot ruin my plans for revenge! I forbid it! They must pay for what I have suffered through because of them.

“I OBJECT, YOUR HONOUR! THAT IS UTTER BULL!”

I whirled around to see Rose standing up, her face contorted in fury. She was livid and her nostrils flared. “Your Honour, I object. Do not believe what he tells you.”

"Your Honour, believe me when I tell you that the unborn cannot live. What if the baby grows up and is unable to control its powers? Its very existence threatens our survival!" I slammed my fist onto the table hard, trying to get my point across.

"How would you know huh!? You traitor!" She screamed while pointing at me. Beside her, Hanqiang has risen and was gripping his wife's shoulders. Our eyes met and in that moment a tinge of regret seeped into my heart.

Why James? Why did you sell out your friends' secret?

Aren't we friends, James?

I shook my head and spun cooly on my heel. Don't be fooled by them, James. They're no longer your friends. You are alone. And you need power. I looked over to the adjacent table where Aera was being held close by Nick.

My heart ached. My eyes trailed down her body and rested on the large bump. And that, will give me the power I require.

"Your Honour! Stop considering, and make the right decision!"

The judge nodded. "Law is law. I hereby sentence Nick Swift and Lee Aera to life in exile. They will leave tomorrow and shall never return."

Anguished cries filled the courtroom and swears slowly turned to inaudible sobs.

I've won. James, you've won.

I smirked at the couple. Nick gazed at me, his eyes reflecting the disappointment he felt; Aera stared straight ahead, she didn't even turn to look at me.

"As for the unborn baby, I have decided to give it a chance." The judge continued.

WHAT!?

"B-But Your Honour! It's a product of a hero and a sidekick! It's dangerous!" I was losing my cool.

The judge held up his hand and silenced me. "Of course, I want to hear a reason as to why it should be allowed to live. Nick Swift and Lee Aera, convince me."

As if on cue, Aera

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter