23: Into The Woods

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

"Why can't I come along?"

 

"Because it's dangerous and we don't know what's out there." Luhan calmly reasoned as he instructed Sehun to load the bags that Yixing and Kyungsoo had packed for the exploration trip into his jeep.

 

I pouted as I watched Sehun shrug and heaved the bags down the steps and out onto the dirt mound where the vehicles were parked. Kai bounded after him when he saw his friend struggling with the weight.

 

"Don't pout." Kris sidled up to me as I leaned onto him and rested my head on his shoulder. "It's for your safety. After all, we are here because of you."

 

I know, I know. But it hurts when you say it like that.

 

I focused my attention on the boys who were preparing to leave. Luhan and Kris exchanged nods and he heaved himself into the driver's seat. Sehun and Kai hugged before the former got into the back seats while Chanyeol waved at Baekhyun who followed after Sehun.

 

"Wait for me!" Suho strolled past us and his hand grazed past mine. I held onto it and he turned back, surprised.

 

"Take care of them, and yourself Suho."

 

He smiled and ruffled my hair before dashing to the jeep and getting into the passenger seat. He winded down the window and waved at us as Luhan pulled the vehicle out of the compound and disappeared into the woods.



 

"It's been three days. I hope they're fine." I bit my nails worriedly as I stared at the television screen but my mind wasn't on the programme that I was seemingly watching. "Won't they come back soon?"

 

"Don't worry. They have each other." Kyungsoo settled down beside me on the couch and passed me a plate of mangoes. "And don't forget, they're not just out to scout the vicinity; they're buying groceries back for us too."

 

I bit into a piece of mango and chewed on it absentmindedly as I continued to stare at the screen. I wonder what they're doing, how they're doing, and if they're alright. "GAH! This is depressing!"

 

I threw my hands up in the air and and replaced the fork back onto the plate. Placing the plate on Kyungsoo's lap, I got up and stomped towards the front door. Kai appeared instantly.

 

"Where do you think you're going, young lady?" He tilted his head to the side and frowned with his arms crossed. "You know you can't head out."

 

"First of all, we’re the same age so don’t call me that. Secondly, let me go." I gritted my teeth and tried to push past him. He didn't budge. "C'mon, Kai. Please. I've been cooped up in here for three days now. All of you have been outside once while I haven't." My eyes softened and I let my hands fall to my sides.

 

"But Jen," Kai unfolded his arms and stepped towards me. "Orders are orde–"

 

"Let her go."

 

Kai's eyes lifted as he bit his lower lip.

 

"But hyung! We have to heed Luhan-hyung's instructions!" Kai argued as he wrapped a strong arm around my waist when he caught me trying to go under his arm.

 

I wriggled and he wrapped both arms around me. "Kai!" I gruffed as I tried to escape.

 

"Let her go, Kai. Just let her go."

 

"You heard your Kris-hyung. Now let go of me." I pried his arms off my waist and stumbled forward where Yixing caught me.

 

Getting my footing back, I dashed out of the door immediately in case they changed their minds. I ran past Chanyeol, who was chopping wood, and slowed down to a walk when I was nearing the edge of the woods.

 

"Jen? Where are you going?" I heard an axe being thrown into a stump and the sound of someone walking on dried leaves came from behind me. "They actually let you leave the cabin?"

 

I nodded without looking back. I peered intently at the dense green and decided if I should enter. Looks shifty, I might just die inside. Maybe I should get him to go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter