49: Converge

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

I felt my arms being tightly gripped, and my eyes drifted over to the boy whose hands continued to squeeze the living daylights out of them.

 

“Kyungsoo…?” I placed a hand on them, realising that they were trembling. “What’s wrong?”

 

His mouth opened, and I thought he would speak but no sounds came out. It was though he was at a loss for words, and it might actually be the case as I followed the direction of his eyes — he was staring at one of the two new animals.

 

I was about to ask him for the reason as to why he was gazing so intently at that particular animal when Zitao’s scream attracted my attention to him. His digit was raised, shaking vehemently, evidently pointing to the other animal that stood next to Kyungsoo’s line of sight.  

 

"It's that ing bear!"

 

"‘It's that ing bear!’ Sheesh, you were already rude when you were young and now you're even ruder."

 

Dressed in the unique fur of black and white, the smaller of the two bears lumbered out and towards Zitao, whose eyes could pop out of their sockets any minute.

 

"W-What the hell are you doing, appearing in front of me when you were supposed to be dead!" He had his hands in his hair, face drained of colour, his shoulders shaking like no tomorrow.

 

My eyes flitted back to the boy beside me. He was exactly like his friend, except that his shoulders weren't shaking as much; they quivered.

 

"As much as the four of you have much to catch up, I do suggest that dinner be served for I sense my human stirring." Carlisle's voice broke me out of my daze as I reluctantly tore my eyes away from Kyungsoo, whose eyes were still fixated on the bear.

 

A large brown bear.




 

[Zitao]

 

It died. The sign said that it died.

 

I stabbed the last piece of broccoli with my fork, my eyes not looking at where my hand brought the vegetable to. It was only when something warm touched my lips did my eyes glance down, seeing the green in front of me and a large hand was holding onto mine.

 

“Sheesh, already twenty years old and still unable to eat properly.” Kris-hyung shook his head. “How can someone be like this…”

 

Chewing on it, I smiled gratefully at him and he rolled his eyes in response.

 

Typical hyung's response. Hee.

 

My plate was clean and I found no excuse to keep sitting within the boys. Keeping my eyes downcast, pointedly avoiding him, I made my way to the washing area. A small backview greeted me and I smiled.

 

"So, you have a furry friend too."

 

He squeaked, clearly frightened to suddenly have someone beside him. The plate in his hands slipped and fell into the filled basin below, creating a small splash and water flew everywhere.

 

I laughed, and he looked up at me, his large orbs gazing at me like they always do. The uncertainty in them, the tinge of fear swimming in them. The innate instinct to pull him into a hug surfaced, and if it weren't for the plate in my hands, I would have.

 

I may be the younger one, but since our childhood I've always been taller, larger in size. We've always done things together; attended the same classes at school together, and we got into troubles together too. He had always been smaller in size than the other boys, and his miniature stature is the cause of his misery during his childhood.


 

"Not only do I have to take care of Jen's bullies, I have to deal with yours too."

 

"I'm sorry, Zitao..."

 

I stopped walking, hands extended to grab onto the boy whose eyes were downcast and obviously unable to see that I had paused in my path. My hands found his arm and he jerked back a little, his large orbs watery and I mentally cursed myself for being careless in my diction yet again.

 

In case you haven't noticed, I have a rather rude personality and my words aren't very... well thought out. Basically, I don't think before I say anything. That's just how I am.

 

And I hated the way I am at times when people are upset because of how I am.

 

Times like now.

 

"I'm not blaming you." I released his arm, and it immediately ran back to his side. "I'm just stating a fact."

 

A soft sob came from in front of me and yes, the boy was weeping.

 

God, help me and my damned mouth.

 

"I-I'm not blaming you! I'm really not scolding you!" I gripped his shoulders, face edging close to his to see that he was trying his best to not let tears fall. "Please stop crying, please."

 

Biting my lower lip, I sighed at the vulnerable sight of my best friend. A heroic sense washed over me and I subconsciously pulled the shorter boy towards me. Wrapping my arms around him, I patted my hands on his back, hoping that it'll soothe him.

 

He gradually stopped shaking, and his breathing began to regulate once again. The warmth breaths on the side of my neck cooled, as he calmly inhaled and exhaled.

 

"Alright now?"

 

"Yes."

 

I released him, the late cloud of awkwardness arriving after having realised that we, a pair of boys, were hugging in the middle of the road. Fortunately, the streets were empty.

 

I swallowed, eyes looking everywhere but him. I'm sure my face was red, my fingers tapping the sides of my thighs out of embarrassment.

 

"Zitao."

 

He spoke ever so softly and gently, yet I found myself glancing up out of reflex; it's a friend thing. His large orbs were still watery, but they no longer held the fear that was so evident in them before; instead gratitude and happiness filled them.

 

"Thank you, Zitao."

 

A small smile crept onto his face and seeing him finally smiling tugged at my heart, effectively pulling at the corners of my lips.

 

"You're welcome, Kyungsoo ah."


 

"I wish I could hug you, Soo." I griped. "But our hands are rather full at the moment."

 

He reflexively glanced down at our hands, and a sound that I haven't heard from him in ages rang out in the silence. His laughter died down after a few seconds, the atmosphere lightened.

 

"It's alright, I'll take your hug another time." He grinned, a playful glint replacing the negative emotions in his eyes. "And yes, I have a furry friend too."

 

"It's funny how we never told each other about them."

 

He shrugged, hands washing the dishes in the basin. "It could have slipped our minds, or because we were kids. Kids don't share things that they like."

 

"Things like bears only we can see." I continued his theory, hands receiving a wet plate from him. "Yeah, it could be like that."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter