Epilogue (l)

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 23]

 

"Jen."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Are you okay?"

 

"Yeah," I hastily wiped away the stray tears from my cheeks and eyes, as Xiumin entered my space, the tinted glass door swinging shut behind him. "I'm alright."

 

"Liar." He retorted softly, his arms coming around me, pulling close to him. "You've been crying."

 

We stayed like that for a few good minutes, neither breaking the deafening silence of the columbarium.

 

"Mm,” The boy thoughtfully started, “they've been gone for..."

 

"Five years."

 

"Right," Xiumin slapped his cheek lightly in embarrassment. "Five."

 

I chuckled, "It's okay if you don't remember, Xiumin. As long as I do, as long as my parents do, it's more than enough for them. You know how gracious grandpa and gramma are."

 

Xiumin nodded against my shoulder as we averted our eyes back to the two glass cases. Side-by-side; that's what my grandparents had requested for in the years leading up to their deaths. Guess grandpa couldn’t continue to live without gramma by his side on this planet for he soon passed away a month after his wife did.  

 

"I refuse to be apart from your grandfather. So kindly place me beside him, alright?"

 

"We did, gramma." I pried myself from the boy's embrace and squatted down in front of their urns, fingers grazing the glass that separates the urns from the outside world. "I hope you can see it."

 

"Of course they can." Another voice that didn't belong to Xiumin whispered, though when in the silent space, it sounded more like a shout. "Grandpa and gramma would always be looking down from above."

 

I froze, my ears unable to believe the familiarity of the voice as Xiumin scoffed, “About time, friend.”

 

I stood up and turned, eyes widening in disbelief when they registered the identity of the boy standing before me. "You've returned!"

 

I threw myself at him, feeling his arms wrapping tightly around as he held me close. Burying my face into the crook of his neck, I inhaled deeply, revelling in his scent.

 

"I've missed you, Jen."

 

I nodded, knowing that he would know my thoughts as well without the need for me to verbalise them.

 

I missed you too, Luhan.



 

"Only you and Xiumin came to pay respects to grandpa and gramma?" Luhan's mouth slacked in shock. "The rest of them ditched?"

 

I shrugged, my mind already accepted that fact when Suho kindly relayed the messages from the other ten boys that ranged from "I would cry," to "I'll visit them on my own.". Suho refused to tell me Baekhyun’s excuse but I knew he was just trying to save me from whatever pathetic reason the light user had cooked up.

 

Speaking of Baekhyun, I haven’t seen him in almost two weeks. Then again, I haven’t seen anyone but Xiumin in the past month. Only God knows why and how they’ve been avoiding me even though we’re currently staying in the same household.

 

"Where are the adults?" He shoved a fistful of fries into his mouth, and Xiumin handed him a napkin, an action that earned himself a grateful smile from his friend. "They should have returned from their holiday yesterday."

 

"They extended," Xiumin deadpanned. "I'm not even shocked."

 

"I'll give them a piece of my mind when they return," Luhan scowled, a French fry waving in the air as he shook his fist in mock rage. "The nerve of them to miss out on grandpa and gramma's death anniversaries as well as Jen's birth–"

 

"It's alright, Lu." I spoke softly, hoping that my tone didn't betray the disappointment and sadness I've been feeling inside ever since my father spoke over the telephone that they wouldn’t be coming back for the aforementioned events. "I'm okay with that. They deserved the vacation, albeit a long one."

 

Xiumin looked away while Luhan just continued to scowl, though for a brief moment, the corners of his lips tugged upwards ever so slightly.



 

"When are you returning to China?"

 

Luhan gave me a knowing expression and I knew then that he wouldn't be staying for long. After all, his company had him based in China for a reason — the ability to speak Mandarin.

 

"I'm sorry that I can't stay til next week," His fingers tightened their grip on mine, as Xiumin's did the same with my other hand. "They wouldn't allow me to leave for more than five days."

 

"It's alright." Those words automatically shot out of my mouth. I’m not even surprised to find myself spouting those two words; automaticity has taken over my speech. "Five days is long enough."

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter