54: To the Grave

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

“You’re insane.”

 

“I’m not.”

 

“You are.”

 

“Y’know what,” I stood up, my chair screeching and even though I saw Kyungsoo flinching to the noise (or to my cold tone), I pointedly ignored his gaze on me. “This argument is pointless. I’m doing what I deem fit.”

 

“Can you stop being so ing reckless!?” I stopped in my tracks, Suho’s swear ringing in my head. The boy never cursed, ever. And a part of me felt really guilty for causing him to do so for the first time. Yet, when he continued, I instantly took back my words. After all, there are always firsts and many more to come.

 

“Don’t you care about us at all?”

 

The atmosphere in the kitchen became tense, as I felt the looks of the rest of the boys flit between him and I. From the corners of my eyes, I saw Yixing carefully move his chair back and he walked over to his same-aged friend.

 

“I’m not backing off, Yixing!” He bellowed, and simultaneously several chairs screeched. My hands covered my ears in reflex and my eyes shut on their own. “She’s taking her life far too lightly!”

 

I whirled around, surprised to find scorching tears flowing down my cheeks as I hollered back. “You are the one taking me too lightly!”

 

“Oh yeah?” He retorted, and the boys placed their hands in front of him in a bid to restrain him as he stepped forward with a contorted expression. “Who’s the one who can only control one power?”

 

Gasps erupted and I swear I heard my heart shatter. That… is so low, Suho-nim. More tears spilled from my eyes and immense hurt washed over me, my vision blurring. I could feel my hands trembling, my shoulders shaking, my feet tingling, waiting for my mind to give them the cue to run.

 

To escape from this boy that I thought I knew.

 

“Suho-hyung… That’s s–” Baekhyun started but was immediately silenced with a murderous glare from the addressed boy. The younger whimpered and his eyes darted to me, worry and concern swimming in them.

 

My eyes strayed to Xiumin who had his eyes on Suho. I pursed my lips and reluctantly looked at Luhan, who was surprisingly staring at me.

 

“Ignore him.” He mouthed, his face so full of worry and concern.

 

I wish I could, Luhan, I wish I could.

 

Wiping away the tears that still remained on my face with the back of my hands, I slapped on a deep scowl that hopefully shows how disappointed I am in all of them. Yes, all of them.

 

Just look at where they’re standing.

 

By Suho’s side.

 

I inhaled through my nose after feeling snot dripping through my nostrils and spun on my heels, my back now facing them. On cue, my feet took steps forward, taking me out of the kitchen, away from those boys I thought I knew very well since childhood. My mouth then let a thought that surfaced during the quarrel escape, and I regret nothing.

 

“All of you take my love far too lightly.”


 

 

[Yixing]

 

“She didn’t reply to any of my pleas.” Chanyeol flopped onto the chair, hands covering his eyes. “She’s not answering at all, no matter what I do.”

 

“Kris?”

 

“Her curtains were drawn, there’s no way to see the inside of her room.” Kris-hyung glanced at Luhan-hyung briefly before raking a hand through his hair. “It’s been a night, surely she would have forgiven us by now...”

 

“Well…” Baekhyun gave Suho a sideward glance cautiously. “We did piss her off pretty much. So, I’m guessing she’ll take awhile to actually find it in her to forgive us…”

 

Everyone sighed collectively, and it would have been funny if not for the situation we stupidly landed ourselves in. Chanyeol stood up, a determined expression on his face. “I’ll go knock on her door again.” He then walked towards the doorway and almost bumped into a sleepy Kai.

 

My eyes flitted to the yawning boy, who just sauntered in. “Sehun’s sleeping in.”

 

Luhan-hyung nodded. “Yeol, eat your breakfast. I’ll get Kai to check on her instead.”

 

“No, I refuse to teleport in.”

 

The four eldest boys snapped their heads to him, brows raised in confusion.

 

“E-Excuse me?” Suho shrilled. “You ‘refuse’?”

 

“She needs time alone right now, and me teleporting in would just aggravate the situation.” He deadpanned, hands reaching for the french toasts set in the middle of the dining table. Kris-hyung slapped his hand away with a slight frown.

 

“It wouldn’t aggravate anything.”

 

The younger flared up. “This is precisely why she exploded yesterday! None of you understand her feelings at all!”

 

“And you do?”

 

All heads snapped to the entrance of the kitchen where she stood, and my eyes narrowed at the bag in her hands.

 

She’s really doing what she deems fit.

 

“J-Jen…?” Kai stuttered.

 

“You sound like you understand me very well.” She looked at the boy amusedly, her lips forming a small smile. Leaving her bag at the doorway, she stepped into the kitchen and like Kai, reached for the toasts. I waited for Kris-hyung to slap her hand away, but he just let her take it. Kai gaped at him. “Alright, I’m heading out. See y’all in the afternoon.”

 

Seeing how none of the boys made moves to stop her, I pursed my lips together to prevent them from calling out to her. Just then, someone bounded down the stairs noisily and bumped into the girl.

 

“Oh great! You haven’t left!”

 

“S-Sehun?!” She stared at him as he picked up her bag for her. “What are you do– What’s with the bag on your back?”

 

He grinned. “Isn’t it obvious? I’m going to school with you!”

 

My jaw dropped. “Sehun, what are you thinking of doing…?”

 

“What does it look like I’m doing?” He brushed past Jen and like his same-aged friends (do children born in the year 1994 love french toasts or what?), he grabbed a piece of toast. Kai gaped again and teleported away from the kitchen when Kris-hyung didn’t stop his friend’s hands. “School started, so I’m going.”

 

He shoved the toast into his mouth, shot Kyungsoo a thumbs-up before biting another. Jen still stared at him flabbergastedly, spluttering her objections as he helped her arms into her bag and pushed her to the front door.

 

“We’re going!” And the door slammed shut.

 

I blinked. “What just happened…?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter