12: Knights

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

"Xiumin! What are you doing here?"

 

I opened the front door and was surprised to see him with a duffel bag, a sleeping bag and a pillow. He grinned and pushed his way in. I stared after him, closing the door behind me. "What's with the pillow and the sleeping bag? Wait, don't tell me. You're spending a night here?!"

 

He nodded just as gramma descended from the stairs and beamed when she saw Xiumin. "Jen, it's late. Go to bed." She turned to me and ordered. Wha? It's only 10 plus pm and I'm to go to bed now!? "But gramma...!" I whined and followed her as she showed Xiumin the room where he would be sleeping in tonight.

 

My face fell and I shut up when she stood in front of mine.



 

[Xiumin]

 

"Comfortable, Xiumin?"

 

Jen gently asked as I heard rustling of a comforter from above me. "Yep, I'm fine." I replied cheerfully, not wanting to expose the worry I felt for her. "Okay, good night." She whispered softly.

 

I kept my eyes open, willing myself to not fall asleep. If I actually fell asleep, I might be skinned alive by the boys. Wouldn't want that to happen.

 

So, I stared up at the ceiling instead. Adorned with numerous glow-in-the-dark stars and moons, they illuminated the dark room. Numerous photographs filled the spaces amongst them and I caught glimpses of my face here and there.

 

Feeling a little relaxed, I sent up a small flurry of snow and they floated down amidst the artificial light and natural moonlight that streamed in through the window. It was beautiful.

 

"You haven't done something like this ever since we were young." A soft voice came from above me. I chuckled. "Why aren't you asleep, my dear princess?"

 

I sent another small flurry up and Jen giggled, her hands reaching up as they floated down. "I couldn't sleep. For some reason, I feel uneasy." Her tone changed. The cheery atmosphere in the room darkened; seriousness and worry creeped in. "Like something bad is about to happen, but I don't know what." I sat up and faced her, resting my chin on the edge of her bed. Her face greeted me and the moonlight illuminated her features.

 

"Xiumin, I dreamt of my parents."

 

My eyes widened and I scooted closer to her. She lied on her side and propped her elbow on her pillow. "Keep it a secret, alright? I haven't told anyone yet, not even Yeol." Her eyes gazed at me earnestly, though I saw a brief flash of worry in them. I nodded, feeling proud that I'm the first to hear about her dream yet worried about what actually happened for her to be this anxious.

 

I got to warn the boys. I got to.



 

I heard a loud bam from below and my eyes flew open. Early morning and something happened already. Boys... I glanced at the floor where Xiumin slept last night. It was empty. He sure woke up early.

 

I faced the sky, it was a tad dark with clouds obscuring the sun. I urged for the clouds to disperse but nothing happened, as usual. I sighed and got out of bed.

 

What happened next was miraculous; and I didn't even see it.

 

The clouds parted and the sun peeked out from in between.



 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter