Epilogue (ll)

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 23]

 

“What took you so long, Kai Kim…”

 

I couldn’t look at our other same-aged friend. Not when I’ve just barely returned from heaven– Okay, I exaggerate. But seriously, ‘heaven’ is a word that girls in Kai’s classes use to describe him.

 

So when I say heaven, I meant Kai.

 

“We were having the time of our lives,” The boy smirked, his hand smacking my bum and I jumped up in surprise as a horrified Sehun threw himself at his best friend, and a wrestling match on the lawn in front of my house ensued. “Oh Sehun! Get the off me!”

 

“How could you exploit those lips, you maniac!?” The moment Sehun mentioned the word ‘lips’, my fingers flew up to mine, probing them and hoping they weren’t red and swollen. Dammit, I think they are. I’ve lost myself for far too long in Kai’s skilled lips. Sighs.

 

“I didn’t exploit,” Kai hissed, his legs wrapping around Sehun’s long legs as his hands bunched at the latter’s ankles. Sehun could no longer flail his legs; once again, Kai had won.

 

Kai, seventy-four. Sehun, zero.

 

“You ing did! Look at her lips!” Sehun shrieked, fingers pointing accusingly at me and I backed away defensively. “How am I supposed to carry out my plan when you’ve already ravished her–”

 

“Oh Sehun, I wasn’t ravished and if you’re finding it challenging to carry out whatever plan you’ve devised, then you’re most welcome to just abandon it!” I huffed, trudging past the both of them to proceed into the house.

 

"Jennnnnnn!" I heard the youngest whine aloud behind me.

 

Sheesh, the nerve of that wind manipulator to imply that I– that I was ravished. Ugh.

 

I flung the unlocked door open, kicking my feet outwards to throw my shoes into the cupboard when I facepalmed. Of all days to wear my Converses…   

 

"Sweetheart?"

 

In the midst of removing my shoes, I paused, head snapping upwards, hoping to see my father calling out for me (he adopted grandpa's nickname for me). Instead, Suho's worried countenance greeted me.

 

Masking the disappointment, I mustered up a smile that didn't seem to dispel the boy's concern for me. He bent down, unlaced and removed the last shoe altogether before pulling me into his arms.

 

"What's wrong?" I opened my mouth, wanting to automatically reply the two words, “I’m alright”,  that I've been saying all day, only to clam up when he added, "And don't tell me you're okay."

 

I slumped, resting my chin on his shoulder and shut my eyes.

 

"Because both you and I know you're not."

 

In some way or another, Suho never seemed to have grown taller. Three years older than I am, and we're the same height. At a loss of words, I nuzzled my face into the crook of his neck and muffled my answer.

 

He giggled, perhaps my breath tickling him as I spoke.

 

"I can't hear you, you know that right?" He pushed me away slightly, fingers pushing back the tendrils of my hair that draped my temples. “So speak up.”

 

I tsks at his sudden authoritative voice, only to earn myself a light pinch on the cheek. “It’s Sehun.”

 

“What did that immature boy do now…?” Suho’s voice took a turn down the ‘pained’ road, his visage suddenly washed over with worry and concern. “He’s been at the top of my worry list for some time...”

 

It’s been almost a year since the three of us have graduated from Sky College. I wanted to get a job as a teacher at the same institute, but the boys reckoned that the workload and the students would be the death of me so they insisted that I become a homemaker instead. It took awhile for them to persuade me but at my parents’ request, I agreed.

 

Kai had applied to be a physical education teacher at the elementary school division of Sky College and even though he’s under probation right now, he’s earning a decent salary that supports his parents and him. Often, he hands me cash to support the dinners that he’s been having at my house. Actually, all of the boys give me money in exchange for the meals they consume at my expense.

 

Sehun, on the other hand, is getting by with a temporary (but it seems to be rather permanent) job at a coffee joint. With no aspirations nor ambitions, the boy spends his days waiting on tables and concocting delicious beverages for the community. It might not seem much, but the youngest can whip up a mean green frappucino.

 

“I think he’s fine at the joint,” My mind whirring for words that would divert Suho’s attention away from the fact that I’m moody, “I heard from his manager that they’re planning to promote hi–”

 

“Nice try,” A smirk formed on his face and I knew my tactic had failed. “Sweetheart.”

 

I scrunched my mouth and nose and he laughed softly. “Now tell me.”

 

So, I explained to him.

 

“I didn’t know Sehun knew such a word,” was what he replied and I threw my hands up in exasperation. Standing up, I brushed past the amused boy, wanting to head into the living room, only to find myself thoroughly blocked by a hulking Jongdae.

 

On a stepladder; in case you had shamelessly thought that he had grown taller.

 

I inhaled, sidestepped past him and threw myself onto the couch. Seconds later, hands lifted my legs and I felt warmth on my shins, fingers prodding my buttocks rudely. I turned my head to the si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter