33: First

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

"We've got to go out again."

 

Everyone simultaneously looked up at Kyungsoo.

 

"Why?" Kris spooned a dollop of porridge and steam wafted up to the ceiling, the lamp overhead illuminating its journey.

 

"We're running out of groceries." He too spooned porridge from his bowl. "It's been weeks since we first ventured out and our supply is dwindling."

 

"Alright then," Kris put down his spoon and clapped his hands. "Who wants to volunteer?"

 

My hand shot into the air immediately and the twelve faces grew dark and reproaching.

 

"Jen, how many times have we gone through this?" Xiumin pressed the ridge of his nose as he shut his eyes and sighed. "You know we wouldn't let you."

 

I pouted. "I know, I know. But I can always try, right?"

 

“Your tries are futile.” Yixing went back to his porridge, his spoon swirling it. “So why bother when you already know the answer?”

 

“Well, isn’t someone pessimistic…” I muttered, a small frown forming. “I just wanted to be useful.”

 

“You can help us pack the bags.” Jongdae suggested. “That’s useful enough for you right, princess?”

 

I contemplated. How useful is the job of packing bags… Unless…

 

And my eyes lit up.



 

[Suho]

 

“Hyung.”

 

My eyes snapped back into focus and the darkness beyond the window pane enabled his reflection to be seen on the glass.

 

“Are you alright now?” The boy gingerly sat down next to me on the couch, his large orbs staring at me. “If you’re not and want to be alone, I can always crash with the two idiots next door while Jen can sleep in Kris-hyung and Zitao’s room again.”

 

His voice was gentle, full of concern for me and warmth surged through my body. I’m glad that I have young ones like you, Kyungsoo.

 

“It’s fine, I’ve calmed down after your Kris-hyung spoke with me.”

 

“You certain…?”

 

I nodded and flashed him a crooked smile. “Don’t you trust your hyung?”

 

He laughed and nodded his head. “Okay, then I’ll get Jen to come in. She’s been waiting anxiously outside, afraid of the gloom that has been rolling off you in waves since dinnertime.”

 

And as if the boy was telepathically linked with her, the doorknob twisted and Jen’s head appeared through the door.

 

“Am I allowed to come in now, Kyungsoo?” Her voice quivered and I instantaneously regretted not keeping my negative emotions in check since the incident in the afternoon. Her face was doubtful as I nodded and motioned for her to come towards us.

 

She shut the door behind her and she tiptoed to the couch, her movements reminding me of a timid mouse. A chuckle escaped my lips and the two youngsters looked at me amusedly.

 

“Something hilarious, Suho-nim?” Her eyes may not be as large as the boy’s, but they nonetheless enabled me to see my reflection in them. “Share!”

 

I ruffled her hair and she giggled. “I shall for your wish is my command, dear princess.” And Kyungsoo did a small bow and wiggled his brows, making the girl laugh.

 

Indeed Jen, your wish is our command.



 

My eyes flew open and they immediately darted to the window. Daybreak hadn’t arrived for the sky was still dark and no sound could be heard.

 

Perfect.

 

I stretched my arms above my head and yawned silently. The mattress moved and I froze. Beside me, Kyungsoo turned and he faced me.

 

His eyelids quivered and his heart-shaped lips parted slightly. The cabin was silent, enabling me to hear his breathing clearly.

 

As he had slept on his right for possibly the whole night, the bunch of hair on the right side of his head stood up. I snickered, and my fingers reached out. Patting them down gently, some stayed while others refused to obey.

 

"Stubborn like their owner, tch." I pursed my lips, and my eyes averted back to the boy's face, drawn to his lips once more.


 

"Jen!"

 

I ran into his outstretched arms and buried my face in the crook of his neck. "Hey hey, that tickles!" He laughed as he tried to pull away but I held on to him tight.

 

"Chef-oppa, what are we eating today?" I finally let myself out of his embrace and looked at him in the eye.

 

At the age of nine, I was the same height as the boy who's a year older.

 

"What would you like to have, my dear princess?" He hooked my arm into the crook of his and we walked towards the back door of his kitchen. "My mum taught me a new recipe yesterday. Want to try that?"

 

I made a face. "Are you sure it'll be tasty, oppa? You only learnt it yesterday, y'know."

 

I earned myself a pinch on the cheeks and I winced at the slight pain. His face edged close to mine and I could see my reflection in his abnormally large orbs that no other boys have.

 

"Of course it'll be! It's me you're talking about." He puffed out his chest in pride and I giggled. "And my mum taught me her renowned beef patty recipe. If you don't want to eat that then..."

 

My eyes lit up at the mention of beef patties. "Aunt Rina's beef patties!? She taught you?!" I stared at Kyungsoo incredulously.

 

"I added my own spin to it though." We continued walking, our steps in sync. "I'll be making heart-shaped patties instead of round ones. Cool huh."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter